Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-27-2016, 10:25 AM   #1

New purchase

So I just put money down on my 1st 5th wheel; a used Fuzion 373 TH. Hopefully in two weeks, I will be bringing it home and will definitely posts pics! In the meantime, i was hoping that you all could give me some advice on things to double check when I pick it up AND for my drive home.

Firstly, it's a used TH but the pictures show very little wear and the genny has very low hours. From those who own (or have owned) the Fuzion or similar TH's (Raptor?), any tips on specific areas of concern / things to check? I started a checklist but it's getting ridiculously long and most of it is just plain common sense; to me anyway

Secondly, this will be my first time pulling a 5er. Aside from not crashing or taking out any stop sign while turning, suggestions or advice?

I realize these are pretty open questions and this thread could very easily wander off topic but I couldn't resist asking and reaping the benefit of many long time posters.

TIA!

Keith

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2016, 12:43 PM   #2

Also, should I expect any issues with my bed rails? They rise 3 1/4" from the top of the box sides...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	283.4 KB
ID:	119973  

Old 02-27-2016, 09:16 PM   #3

I think you will want to take off the rails before much towing. They might take up 50% of the room you have when everything is level.
Old 02-28-2016, 12:10 PM   #4

So I've never seen a 5th wheel hooked up to my truck so I don't know how much clearance I'll have. Is there a "standard" minimum or maximum? I suppose it depends on the trailer and truck combination so I guess I'm thinking out loud... Too many variables... Again, I'm new to this type of trailering so bare with me please. As usual, I'm probably over thinking this....

Is it a silly question to ask if the bed rails will be ok for just the return trip with the 5er? Not sure if it helps but I have an '05 F350 4x4 with stock ride height.

I think I'll just bring the tools with to take the rack and rails off in case I need to. Thanks for the reply, Tractor guy!

Keith
Old 03-01-2016, 08:57 PM   #5

Experienced people on 5ers have told me to have a minimum of 6" of clearance to the trailer. On a "level" tow home, you might be OK but be careful. It doesn't take much if you are backing up and the front wheel of the truck goes of the edge of the road when you are swinging around. The opposite corner of the tailgate will get very close to the trailer in a hurry and you'll be thinking about the mailbox you are trying to miss.
Old 03-02-2016, 05:53 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Keith,
If you've got an "old" Benz, you can probably turn a wrench.. Or at least have a decent mechanic. Before you drive off with that RV, you should probably complete a PDI (Post Delivery Inspection) - you can find a copy of one on this site. It will likely take several hours to go through and requires access to power and water in the tanks.

Going through that PDI will likely save you some amount of hassle later.

Fuzion is made by Keystone and there is a Keystone Owners Forum (different website). You'll get better model specific info over there.

Watch your pin weight with that RV/truck combo..
Old 03-02-2016, 10:30 AM   #7

Funny you mention that. I checked out the PDI yesterday and thought I could apply much of it to my used purchase as well; great minds must think alike. And I've been doing a lot of reading on weights, both pin and gross. And I agree, I'll have to watch it. Thankfully there is a scale nearby. Maybe they'll sell me a membership ��. Thanks again.
Keith

Tags
purchase