Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-17-2019, 11:31 AM   #1

New purchase of 2019 Grand Design 351 Momentum

I just purchased a toy hauler and the only issue I am having so far is the ramp height. My exhaust hits the ground when trying to load my trike. I use blocks and boards to raise the ramp and the tires of the trike to avoid the scraping.

Would really like some better ideas other than hauling heavy cumbersome boards.

Any suggestions?

My ramp is also a deck.

Thanks

Ken
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2019, 09:19 PM   #2

Raise the front of the fifth wheel as high as she will go should help reduce the angle too.
Gigattime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 07:25 AM   #3

Toy Hauler

Race Ramps will work,but expensive.
SNOKAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 09:28 AM   #4

The PO of our last hauler mounted a set of these to the ramp about 12” from the leading edge.

Pair of Telescoping Trailer Stabilizer Jacks(1000lb capacity each) by Pacific Rim https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008G5AA7E..._99JHDbB8D12CS

And KZ put a folding aluminum extension on the ramp. Combined you could load a stretched and lowered bike with ease.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	233BA0F1-6DAC-4CD0-87F9-6E748A1B716D.jpeg
Views:	131
Size:	110.9 KB
ID:	261040  
redhooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 07:56 AM   #5

So far I have built three 3ft long ramps out of 2x6 with step up's. I haven't tried them yet, but I am hopeful. They are heavy, but should work by lifting the deck several inches and getting the rear wheels up as to not drag my mufflers. redhooker I can't add a ramp extension without losing my ramp deck, otherwise that is a great option. SNOKAT..I am to cheap to spend that kind of money for race ramps, although that would take care of the heavy part of my issue. And they look good as well. I would also have to buy two sets in order to have a ramp for each wheel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2166.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	279.3 KB
ID:	261109  
Old 09-22-2019, 08:38 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerman101 View Post
So far I have built three 3ft long ramps out of 2x6 with step up's. I haven't tried them yet, but I am hopeful. They are heavy, but should work by lifting the deck several inches and getting the rear wheels up as to not drag my mufflers. redhooker I can't add a ramp extension without losing my ramp deck, otherwise that is a great option. SNOKAT..I am to cheap to spend that kind of money for race ramps, although that would take care of the heavy part of my issue. And they look good as well. I would also have to buy two sets in order to have a ramp for each wheel.
Don't forget to raise the front of your fifth wheel as well.
Gigattime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 06:58 PM   #7

try one of these companies deck risers products

https://pitproducts.com/products/ram...plates-package
dsrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 06:07 AM   #8

Question, how much does your trike weigh? This the tandem axle hauler? We are looking for a toyhauler, but garage will be holding up to 2000 lbs.
Rubirose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 09:32 AM   #9

i have looked at the whole momentum toyhauler line. i considered the 350g but it simply wont work. its close but unless i pull the happy jack bunk bed and couch system out, it just doesnt have the ccc it truly needs to haul a 2k lb toy. now i say this because i have a san rail that weighs 1960lbs wet fresh off the dunes so had plenty of sand in and stuck to it. just cannot get anymore accurate then the coop scale fresh off the sand lol so if you ever find yourself needing to haul your water for various reasons, most average campers would be boondocking other would be offroad parks as most dont have hook ups. so 2k lb toy, you will need some tools and prob a spare part or two so figure 2500 lbs in reality. 2500 lbs plus full tank of water, 2 full propane tanks so prob 60 lbs, camping chairs, table etc etc plus food, clothes, cook ware, bathroom supplies, cases of water and soda.....starts to stack up. if the toyhauler doesnt have a min 4k lb ccc then a 2k lb toy is too much for it. you DO NOT want to be maxed out all the time just because gvwr say your good. 500 lbs under gvwr is not enough either imo. grand design just doesnt make a toyhauler under 40' with a 14 garage and any decent ccc for 2k plus lb toys. the strange parts is if you look at the triple axles th'ers they claim triple 7k axles but gvwr is only 20k when most of the time they add pin weight back to the gvwr which they shouldn't for those they wind up on steep grades.
Old 10-30-2019, 09:36 AM   #10

i should add that i actually like the grand design line. i have been in several models not limited just to toyhaulers. bottom line is all of there toyhauler models are for golf carts, 4 wheelers or motor bikes. there not made for large toys like sxs's , sand rails or dune buggies. they claim sxs's fit but thats only dimensionally. weight wise they do not as most are 1600lbs to 1800lbs stock and 2k lbs plus with upgraded parts. only the west coast built toyhaulers work for sxs's and sand rails. attitude,stellar or genesis th'ers.

btw when asked the momentum rep emailed the "engineers" and stated the happy jack bed and couch "system" only weighs 250lbs lol lol that is a lie. that system weighs 750lbs.
Old 11-13-2019, 05:36 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrace View Post
i should add that i actually like the grand design line. i have been in several models not limited just to toyhaulers. bottom line is all of there toyhauler models are for golf carts, 4 wheelers or motor bikes. there not made for large toys like sxs's , sand rails or dune buggies. they claim sxs's fit but thats only dimensionally. weight wise they do not as most are 1600lbs to 1800lbs stock and 2k lbs plus with upgraded parts. only the west coast built toyhaulers work for sxs's and sand rails. attitude,stellar or genesis th'ers.

btw when asked the momentum rep emailed the "engineers" and stated the happy jack bed and couch "system" only weighs 250lbs lol lol that is a lie. that system weighs 750lbs.
I, and others I have met, go all over the US with Momentum toyhaulers and SxS. Sand rails and dune buggies - probably not. Don't know where you are getting your info but you are uninformed.
Old 11-14-2019, 06:07 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgrol View Post
I, and others I have met, go all over the US with Momentum toyhaulers and SxS. Sand rails and dune buggies - probably not. Don't know where you are getting your info but you are uninformed.
Hi there. How much does your was weigh. Our Pioneer , with goodies weighs let's 2000 lbs, kinda guessing but that number is easy math when trying to figure out available CCC. We are trying real hard to go no longer than 40 ft, but so far have not Ben too successful in our search. I really like the 320G, I have actual sticker weight from dealer. I am waiting for a response from dealer about the weight of the bed and sofas in the garage area, won't hesitate to remove both if it's gets us to where we need to be with the ccc
Rubirose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 08:04 AM   #13

Rubirose; I am not positive, but I believe it weighs 12-1500 pounds. I will have to weigh it at a scale next summer. It barely fits end to end with about 10 inches on each end in my TH garage. Mine is only and 11 foot garage, some models have up to 15 ft garage, but we didn't want a 43 foot 5er. Ours is something like 38 to 39.
Old 11-14-2019, 08:19 AM   #14

You have to think outside the box. Don't raise the tong. Don't raise the ramp. Drive the trike rear wheels only up short 2 x 6 boards on the ground. 2 high should do it. You can figure the placement of these boards. When you drive onto the ramp the trike will be higher off the ground when the front wheel goes up. Exhaust will clear the ground. I own a trike with low slung large exhaust

Tags
grand design, momentum, purchase