Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-04-2005, 05:17 PM   #1

Brought the new rig home Thursday. 37' Sierra Sport Toy Hauler. We love it but have run into a couple of problems already. The water tanks are leaking from the knife blade as well as the fittings(Service said I had too much water in the tanks)
The fuel pump blows fuses every time you try to pump fuel.(Service say's put a 30 amp fuse in it and it will work perfect)
The fuel tank leaks from the pick up tube.

Sorry for the rant on my first post but I sure am upset that my long weekend got ruined and they are not sure they can even look at before my next trip the following weekend.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2005, 05:17 PM   #2

Brought the new rig home Thursday. 37' Sierra Sport Toy Hauler. We love it but have run into a couple of problems already. The water tanks are leaking from the knife blade as well as the fittings(Service said I had too much water in the tanks)
The fuel pump blows fuses every time you try to pump fuel.(Service say's put a 30 amp fuse in it and it will work perfect)
The fuel tank leaks from the pick up tube.

Sorry for the rant on my first post but I sure am upset that my long weekend got ruined and they are not sure they can even look at before my next trip the following weekend.

Old 09-04-2005, 05:45 PM   #3

Tom,

First, WELCOME to our little corner of the WWW. You are at the right spot for info and a little fun along the way. We have a number of experienced toyhaulers here with a wealth of knowledge on fixes and fixing up trailers.

You have leaks, first the fuel. You said it leaks at the pickup, where the rubber hose attaches to the tank? Is there a hose clamp there? Does it look like it's leaking from the hose or from the welded fitting? If it's a hose clamp leak, try to tighten it with a nutdriver or screwdriver and see if you can stop it. If it's something else, the dealer needs to look at it and ASAP. If you are close to the dealer, take it to them and have the service manager get someone on it right away, were talking SAFETY here. As for the fuse, give it a try, sometimes the guys putting the trailers together do dumb things and putting in a too small fuse is quite possible. If that doesn't fix the proble, you have a short somewhere, probally in a wire. Water is something else, how much and fast is it leaking? The water line fittings going to the tank should be able to be hand tightened. The knife blade, (1 1/2" slide valve?) has two rubber gaskets that seal against the blade. If a gasket is damaged, it can cause the valve to leak. That again is something for the dealer to fix. I'm sure that you will probally come across a few other fixes to do, as with most new trailers. Just realize that there will be some bugs and make a list. Since it is a new trailer, the dealer will fix the bugs or at the worst you might have to return it to the manufacture as a number of guys have had to do for repairs.

Where abouts do you live, and where do you like to take the trailer to play? Give us some info on yourself and family so we can get to know you.

Im sure you will get more responces soon from others. Glad you joined up, hope you can get some worthwile info from the boys and girls here.

Clark

2005 F350 PSD CC DRW Tow Boss
C.CARNEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 06:11 PM   #4

Clark,
Thanks for the warm welcome, I found your web site doing research to buy this one.

As far as the fuel leak: It's leaking from the steel pipe fiting going into the top of the tank. It just needs to be sealed with PTFE tape and re-installed.

The pump: I can't see putting a 30A fuse on a circuit designed for 15. The motor is rated at 12.5A. If the motor is able to draw more than rated I'll end up with warm wires and who knows what else.

The knife blade has a kinked gasket I'm sure. The fittings don't appear to have any glue on them at all.

I was sure I'd come across some defects but the fuel one erks me. Saftey you know.

I guess what twists me the most is when I called the service department, Todd(Son of the owner of the Dealership) tells me if I had purchased a Skyline product that I would not of had any of these problems.

As far as where we live, Glendale AZ(I figured out how to put that in my sig) Wife Daughter (one on the way too) and I like to go up to the mountains during the summer and to the Imperial Sand Dunes during the winter. We haul a 2005 Ranger and only have about 20hrs on it. I can't wait to get out and relax....
Old 09-06-2005, 07:55 PM   #5

Tom:

Yes...welcome!! Lots to be had here...watch out- 56 Nomad could make you 'wed' Home Depot!! I'm pretty sur ethey've got one close to you that you could 'move-in' to, though!

As I've said before, these darn rrr-Vee (there-Clark!) rigs are nuttin but a black hole in the middle of the RV park that you throw a whole bunch of money into...but you can at least hope its not right-off-the-bat...and you're completely correct- don't go putting a 30a fuse on a 15a circuit- that's just inviting horror- it either pumps @ 12.5a, or there's something else wrong. If you've got a buddy that can put a meter on it to figure out what the ampdraw is, then you'll have a better picture to look at.

Whatever you find, be assured it is fixable in one fashion or another- speaking of pictures, you may want to discover how to put pics on here so we can see what you're up against (you know...they're worth a 1,000 words- PM me and I'll help 'splain it if you don't know).

Hey...but most of all...have fun here, OK?

Sean
Old 09-07-2005, 07:54 AM   #6

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">...Service said I had too much water in the tanks)... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll betcha they did say that
(in theory though, aren't guys in Service paid when they fix things?)

Tom,
at least your problems seem to involve fittings. All of us here know how frustrating those things are, especially when you discover them on your new rig while out there camping.
I suspect we will get them all fixed here, and waste a little time having a few laughs at the same time.

Other then those glitches, and a curious attitude at the Service shop, what is your family thinking of the Sierra Sport?

And the season is just about ready to start out at Glamis/Buttercup. I'll tell you, these summers are sometimes hard to wait through before we can finally go hit the sands. You will notice that some parts of iRV2 are already discussing winterizing their rigs for storage thru the winter months.

but me ?,... I am currently loading mine up.
Thank you !!!! Winter is finally just around the corner !!!!

See you guys out in the dunes ... and without leakin' water tanks too.
Mike
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 08:54 AM   #7

Tom,
Yeah, every thing those dudes said. And welcome to the forum.
We had the same problem with the fuel station on our last TH. A little different though. See, the fuel pump would work great by it's self, but the fuse had some inside lights on it as well, so when you ran the fuel pump with the inside lights on it would be too much load for the fuse and it would pop. You might want to check to see if that is the case with yours. The pump may be 12.5 amps, but you add a couple of lights to the mix and thats all she wrote.

Like Clark was saying though, you still are under warranty, the only drag is now you get to fight with the service dept. I can't believe that guy said that about what you "should have bought". It really pi$$e$ me off when people don't stand behind there product. Good luck. We got your back when it comes to service problems.

Most of the issues seem fixable, it seems like with any of these THs they tend to put them together too fast. But keep in mind though, like Sean said, these are a hole in the ground you throw money into. You have to kind of "like" working on them.

Rod

WW LE3505
melon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 09:04 AM   #8

Fuel pump and genny's seem to be having a lot of problems lately.

My fuel pump stopped working earlier this year. It turned out to be a bad connection on the Emergency Shutoff switch. But, I wasn't blowing any fuses. In your case, I'm leaning towards a wiring problem, maybe a short or crossed wires. Kinda scary to think of the fuel pump shorting out.....

2007 Rally site
diirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 05:55 PM   #9

Thanks for the sympathy folks. We love the unit overall. We got the best of both worlds, a nice RV and a seperate garage. I'm sure all will be fixed and I'll be a happy camper this weekend.

FatDog, we camp all year long. I think we have about 12 trips in already in 05. Mountains in the summer and the dunes in the winter. The tech was tell me to drain my tank after every trip, I laughed, I never let the trailer sit long enough to have to drain it. I'm not even sure I turned the fridge off this summer....
tom
Old 09-08-2005, 07:03 PM   #10

Well we gotter' back today. The fuel pump still blows fuses!!!! I'm not gonna let that ruin the weekend though. They can have it when I get back. The gen runs and I can bring fuel tanks with me. Wife let me by a 23" flat screen to watch the ASU vs. LSU game out camping. Gotta love it when things go your way!!!
tom
Old 09-08-2005, 07:51 PM   #11

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom F.:
Well we gotter' back today. The fuel pump still blows fuses!!!! I'm not gonna let that ruin the weekend though. They can have it when I get back. The gen runs and I can bring fuel tanks with me. Wife let me by a 23" flat screen to watch the ASU vs. LSU game out camping. Gotta love it when things go your way!!!
tom </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Way to go there Tom! And while you're at it, be sure to pout long enough so the rest of us can can buy a 23" flat screen also! You've just taught me how I'm gonna get that next $1000 item I need!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The tech was tell me to drain my tank after every trip, I laughed, I never let the trailer sit long enough to have to drain it. I'm not even sure I turned the fridge off this summer.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And this must be the same derilect that has not idea that New Orleans just got struck by a massive hurricane and has a alot of water- just none of it even batheable, or that any other calmity (the big one here in Cally comes to mind REAL quick!) is just around the corner...and ours had had the fridge going since we got it!!

Believe me...I'm sure there's a whole bunch of folks, many of them reading this right now, who have just phathomed their coach as a savior for those times...unfortunately THAT idiot is the one we'll be paying to keep alive. Tom- if you're using the TH that often, then you'll have the cleanest water on the water-logged block! God Bless Ya!!

Sean
Old 09-13-2005, 05:41 PM   #12

Talked to the pump mfg Friday. As soon as I told him what pump I had, he asked for my address so he could send me new gears for the pump. Evidently the vendor making the gears mixed the resin wrong and they had a whole lot of pumps blow fuses. As soon as the polymer gets saturated with solvents they swell, hence mine worked when they put the new fuel pump on and after a couple of hours the gears swelled so bad they can not move.
Glad to have this problem solved, too bad for ASU this weekend. Let's not talk about the Cardinals...
tom