Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-26-2005, 11:18 AM   #43

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Towed my trailer for the first time over the weekend. This thing tows like there is no tomorrow </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I'll bet !!!!

heres an interesting tidbit I have read about the Ford TowBoss that comes as an option with the dually 4.3's
the integrated brake controller that comes with the heavy-dutys,
.... when you choose the TowBoss option, that brake controller is then also connected to the brake master cylinder. This gives the trailer the ABS function then.

Handy !!

I think the 4.3 gears, although a very handy thing, are just too low for me and i have assumed that I would go with the 4.1 once i move away from 3.73 land.
But from what I have read and assumed, that integrated "brake controller/brake cylinder/TowBoss gearing" isn't for the 4.10 boys.
Now that is a little food for thought.

If you use 3000 RPM as a 'guideline' redline for your F350, that 4.3 gets you to 75mph? maybe 80? Or do you want to use 3300 as a redline with that higher revving 6.0 engine?

Or do i go 4.1 gears with no ABS going to my trailer and I can cruise the open roads a little faster?
never thought a couple notches in gearing, and a couple tire choices, would turn this into the proverbial 12 month quandry for me,
as i go back and forth

FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2005, 12:45 PM   #44

Mike:

The 4.30 IS the Tow Boss option, and Tow Command is an integral part of the Tow Boss gearing, but you can also get it without. As far as rpms, my F350 @ 70mph is going 2500rpm, 80mph is about 2700rpm. These 6.0's are much a different animal than the 7.3 you are used to. In fact, the tach goes up to 5,000rpm, and there's no redline (however, I don't think it's a good idea to test it out!). Towing- you just can't go wrong with the TB option, although 'open road' may be a bit more of an issue if you consistently like to peg 80+.

The Tow Command is one heck of a great idea- after reading about the BrakeSmart, I think the TC is along the same lines or even above (for the integration piece), which is what I keep hearing about it- 'best thing since sliced bread'.

now...quit vaselating and go git er!!!

<span class="ev_code_PINK">Mikey...this is your F350 DRW TB CCLB talking...come pick me up...I NEED you, and YOU need me!</span>

And to think Robin thought this gang costs everyone too much $$$'s!!

Sean

Old 07-26-2005, 12:56 PM   #45

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">he 4.30 IS the Tow Boss option, </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sean,
what i am digging up here is, and pardonna me if i am in arrears, is that the TowBoss option adds like $700 or $800 to the cost of the truck, whereas just changing to 4.3 gearing on similarily equipped heavy duty trucks just adds like $300 or so. So there is a presumption that the TowBoss not only adds the 4.3 gearing, but other tow related goodies as well. I believe that the "other tow related" goodies is the ability of the truck to pass back its ABS ability to the trailer via the brake controller.

Kinda a cool additional role that the TowBoss plays, if in fact I have the correct info.

<span class="ev_code_PINK">I am stopping by ford today to talk turkey about dually purchase.</span>
<span class="ev_code_RED">Clark, build a big modern barn for your new dually next to your house, even if you have to demolish the spare bedroom.</span>
<span class="ev_code_GREEN">Sean, another camping trip soon.</span>
Old 07-26-2005, 01:00 PM   #46

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FatDog:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">he 4.30 IS the Tow Boss option, </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sean,
what i am digging up here is, and pardonna me if i am in arrears, is that the TowBoss option adds like $700 or $800 to the cost of the truck, whereas just changine to 4.3 gearing on similarily equipped heavy duty trucks just adds like $300 or so. So there is a presumption that the TowBoss not only adds the 4.3 gearing, but other tow related goodies as well. I believe that the "other tow related" goodies is the ability of the truck to pass back its ABS ability to the trailer via the brake controller.

Kinda a cool additional role that the TowBoss plays, if in fact I have the correct info.

<span class="ev_code_PINK">I am stopping by ford today to talk turkey about dually purchase.</span>
<span class="ev_code_RED">Clark, build a big modern barn for your new dually next to your house, even if you have to demolish the spare bedroom.</span> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mike:

You are perfectly correct-ta-mundo amigo! Actually, if you were to get 4.30's from a 3rd-party company they'd probably cost you the $700-800 alone. Getting the TC with the ABS tie-in just makes it that much sweeter...

<span class="ev_code_PINK">Mikey: this is your F350 again...be sure to bring your credit cards and checkbook- I'll supply the fun ride home!</span>

Ooooo...it's working!!
Old 07-26-2005, 01:13 PM   #47

Hi All
Well here some more food for thought
the 07 ford will be out jan of 06 with a new body and a 6.4 twin turbo diesel.And yes the TowBoss option, dose take the brake controller connects it to the brake master cylinder. This gives the trailer the ABS function .It only comes in the 430.

2001 New Mar Mountain Air 38KSWB
David Sink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 01:19 PM   #48

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">This gives the trailer the ABS function .It only comes in the 430. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hi David
and i have wondered why this neat function is only passed on to the 4.3 instead of the 4.10 as well. I imagine that giving too many options over the whole range of trucks is too expensive to administer, and so the people who would find the 4.1 just perfect for their weight of trailer (10-14K pounds) don't get to take advantage of this.

That really keeps me on top of the 4.1/4.3 fence.
Old 07-26-2005, 02:00 PM   #49

Hi All
You may see ford expand it to the 410 i have not heared anything on it yet.They did this to give you the 18k towing along with the 430.I think the Tow Boss is a great truck I my sell my f550 when i sell the trailer for the new toy hualer when we finaly move into are house in aug.I here that 07 twin turbo calling me.

Old 07-26-2005, 02:26 PM   #50

David:

Hi there!! Hey...might you want to re-consider buying a 1st year vehicle- as tempting as that Twin Turbo sounds, I'd hold off until at least the second year, which is why we went ahead and got an 05 just a while ago. It may be just me, and the surfing over at TDs, but the 03 6.0 had some pretty serious issues, and thank goodness they're all but gone for now.

Just a thought!

Sean
Old 07-26-2005, 03:41 PM   #51

Mike,

I lost track of my speed on the 14 the other night and realized I was cruising around 84mph (normal traffic speed). This truck is so smooth I had no idea I was going that fast, no screaming motor sounds. Don't know what the red line is, but 3000 rpm's are no problem and it was begging for more. Spend the extra $700.00 on the tow boss, it's always better to have to much than not enough.

David, I would wait on a first year motor also. Here at my work, we have had 3 guys buy first generation motors and have nothing but problems. Sure they will be good motors, but there will be a learning curve and bugs to work out.

K-Star, good choice on truck and color. The more I look at it, the more I really like it.

Clark

2005 F350 PSD CC DRW Tow Boss
C.CARNEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 04:25 PM   #52

Hi All
The 6.4 is just a 6.0 punched with 2 turbos i dont think it should be to much trouble beside i have bought first year trucks before and always seem to have good luck with them.I work part time selling the 1 tons and up at the rv shows so i get to test drive them as soon as they come out becuase we always work with ford to have a few trucks .

Old 07-26-2005, 07:53 PM   #53

FatDog - just do it. You won't regret one minute of it!! I talked DH into the dually - he had the 7.3 SWD all lifted and pretty (big boy toys). He really hated to let it go.

He LOVES the new truck!! It pulls like there is no tomorrow and is pretty to boot.

When are you boys gonna learn that the women are always right!! LOL.

KZ 29P
JAguirre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 07:58 PM   #54

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">It pulls like there is no tomorrow </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I hear that from EVERY SINGLE PERSON with that TowBoss

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">...When are you boys gonna learn that the women are always right!! LOL. ... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Its me learning that i am always WRONG that has taken a little time to accept
Old 07-26-2005, 08:04 PM   #55

JAguirre:

Well howdy...Welcome to iRV2! Feel free to slap 'ol FatDog around a bit (sorta like 'kickin' the cat, only he's ALL canine!)...he's in a definite quagmire, and someone's gotta get the 2x4 and knock him outta it!

Now...if you're gonna get into that "women are always right"...welll...errrr...OK...I agree!
Not quite the 'fun discussion' we need to have here- you win!

It would be kinda refreshing to see another 'flavor' being in the group...as Hoverbug says, though, 'watch out'...we can have you in a WW faster than a pig in poop.

Have fun here, OK?

Sean
Old 07-26-2005, 08:16 PM   #56

I think I got this one figured out gang. Fatty is just waiting for the Chevy guy to give him the go ahead. FD JUST DO IT!!! and we want as always... Plenty O Pics.

<span class="ev_code_PINK">That's all I needed to here. I'm going to buy me a new truck and I'm gonna double check those tranny bolts.</span>

Don

06 LE 3505
Grizwald2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kz-rv