Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-05-2014, 10:25 PM   #1

New Toy Hauler with a few problems

I finally got my new 5th wheel toy hauler!
It has a few problems that were found either during the PDI or during the maiden voyage. I took it out for 4 day/3 nights to find everything wrong. There were a number of things that have to be fixed before the RV is usable. I was curious if anyone else could chime in with whether this is a "normal" list or if I got a bad unit.

Things to fix before trailer is usable:
1.) This creature apparently has two grey water tanks. Tank one is the shower and bathroom sink. Tank two is the kitchen sink and washer hook up. Grey tank two will not drain!
2.) Front Awning rear support caulking cracked/missing. This seems to be a possible entry point for water to get inside and cause problems. What should I look for to determine whether any damage has been done?
3.) Shower leaks into pass through storage. What should I look for to determine if any damage has been done?

Things to fix (do not affect trailer usability, but need to be fixed)
1.) ODS Scare light doesnít work. This worked during the PDI, but was not working once I arrived at the campground.
2.) Awning rope lights don't work. Rear awning rope light worked for about an hour and then front half of light stopped working. Forward awning rope light never worked. I did not know I had these (missed during the PDI) until I was at the campground and saw them at night. If neither light had worked, I probably still wouldn't know I had them.
3.) Forward step light doesnít work
4.) Forward door latch needs adjustment (have to slam door from inside in order to latch). Missed during PDI as I never closed the door from the inside. I didn't notice the amount of force required to close the door until I was camping.
5.) Bathroom door latch needs adjustment. You have to push the handle up to open the door. Pushing the handle down will not move the latching thingy enough to open the door.
6.) Living room TV. (This was found during the PDI, and was supposed to be fixed before I took delivery. I trusted them when they told me it was fixed and didn't test it.) No sound through sound bar
TV has coaxial digital sound out
Sound bar has optical digital sound in
Adapter is optical to coaxial; Needs to be coaxial to optical
7.) Patio rail screen driverís side from the rail to the garage wall, stitching coming undone. (Not found during PDI, as I didn't unfold the rails).
8.) Many of the AC vents have chunks of Styrofoam in them. I got sprayed with styrofoam nuggets when I first turned on the AC. I'm worried that the chunks may be blocking some of the air flow. Also, I'm wondering where they came from and are they a sign of some other problem that needs to be fixed. During the PDI, I used the "Quick Cool" feature and just had the cold air blow direct from the ACs to check operation. I didn't think to look into the vents.
9.) Rear screen (Garage to patio screen); has a gap of two inches between the driver's side wall. Screen is not attached in any way to the sides and just flaps in the breeze. Screen is not "square" to the trailer. It's pretty crooked; by several inches. Also the screen holder (at the top) was not attached on one side and was just laying on the lift bed. It was attached on one side by double sided tape, but was laying loose on the other side. This was noticed during the PDI and the entire screen unit is supposed to be replaced.
10.) Black tank flush is apparently clogged or blocked somewhere. There are two inlets, one labeled "Black Tank Flush", the other not labeled. Both inlets are blocked or clogged. I'm not sure if the second inlet is for a grey tank flush or what it may be, but it doesn't do anything.

I have not tested the generator under a load, nor have I tested the DVD player (I've got a blu-ray player that I'll be using and don't plan on even using the built-in DVD player). I did not get an owners manual for the convection/microwave oven, but figure I can download one once I get the trailer back from the dealership and get the model number. I put a small amount of water into the fresh water tank and pressure checked the system during the PDI. No problems were noted, but I have not used the onboard fresh water tank.

Is this a normal amount of things to find wrong with a new unit ?
I expected to find some items based on my readings here and on other RV forums, but this seemed just a bit more than I really expected. The unit went back to the dealership on April 22nd for all the fixes. I do not have a date on when they expect to have the unit back to me yet (its now May 5th). Anyone have any idea how long these type of repairs should take?

I really like this unit. The floor plan is almost perfect for me. The only thing I would change is to make the living room slide just a little smaller so I could get to the bathroom without having to extend the slide.

Thanks for reading a rather long post.

V-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2014, 06:58 PM   #2

This is to be expected on mass produced campers

2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 07:15 PM   #3

The only thing wrong I found on my new (2001) 5er was a loose drain line under the lavatory. Just pressed it together with force and it never leaked or came loose again.

I'm racking my brain and can't think of anything else.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 11:35 AM   #4

DieselOne

I can sypathize with your problems but can offer little in the way of help. We purchased a new Palomino Columbus 3650 TH late last fall. First short trip-lots of insulation particles coming out of vents.... was told by dealer that is normal. Loud bang when leveling with front jacks to unhitch. Bathroom door door frame is
parallelogramed to where the latch would not touch the frame and was too high for the striker plate. The dealer repositioned the striker plate and shimmed it out with a block of wood. The front cap can be seen moving up and down about 1/2 to 3/4 inch in relation to the pin box as we go over bumps on the highway.
The large living room slide shifts left and right and makes a lot of ratchetting noises as it's moved in and out. Found the Steel beam at outside below floor level was not secured at one end and was bending in or out as slide was moved in or out. Was secured by dealer with a lag bolt up through dining room floor carpet. Dealer repaired that by removing offending lag bolt but secured beam in a bent state so fender and side panelling which is fastend to beam are not fastend to beam at that end. Dealer claims they are all made that way. Loose overhead light fixture was spotted at PDI but was not repaired and fell off damaging the table. The table top and light shade were replaced. I would suggest that your chance of getting everything repaired depend solely on the dealer you have. And the white insolation from the vents is typical of all new units and it will clear up after a while. Good luck with your new unit and enjoy your travels.
Old 06-05-2014, 09:57 AM   #5

2013 Raptor TH. Purchased March 2013. Spent 5 days using the RV at the dealership. (Water sewer power) Everyday the forklift was down and picked up the RV for items we had found un-useable the day before. Once home continued to find many problems electrical, mechanical that I fixed especially with the hydraulic leveling system and slides etc. (Like leaks-like a belly pan full of oil) In January 2014 it was taken to the dealership (130 miles away) for many other repairs (like leaking sewer pipe under the coroplast) Gas tank sending units not working, etc. It was there about six weeks before we could get it home.
I think we finally have the high sign on getting all of these items repaired. I have expended many, many hours of my own time making most of theses repairs. The work I had done at the dealership was substandard, and many items I had to redo. I think if you have any mechanical/electrical skills you will eventually get everything fixed to your satisfaction. Would I do this again for +60k... Not a chance. I would stay with my bigfoot camper (11") which in eighteen years I have only had to replace the refer board and batteries.
Old 06-17-2014, 02:57 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Man View Post
I finally got my new 5th wheel toy hauler!
It has a few problems that were found either during the PDI or during the maiden voyage. I took it out for 4 day/3 nights to find everything wrong. There were a number of things that have to be fixed before the RV is usable. I was curious if anyone else could chime in with whether this is a "normal" list or if I got a bad unit.

Things to fix before trailer is usable:
1.) This creature apparently has two grey water tanks. Tank one is the shower and bathroom sink. Tank two is the kitchen sink and washer hook up. Grey tank two will not drain!
2.) Front Awning rear support caulking cracked/missing. This seems to be a possible entry point for water to get inside and cause problems. What should I look for to determine whether any damage has been done?
3.) Shower leaks into pass through storage. What should I look for to determine if any damage has been done?

Things to fix (do not affect trailer usability, but need to be fixed)
1.) ODS Scare light doesnít work. This worked during the PDI, but was not working once I arrived at the campground.
2.) Awning rope lights don't work. Rear awning rope light worked for about an hour and then front half of light stopped working. Forward awning rope light never worked. I did not know I had these (missed during the PDI) until I was at the campground and saw them at night. If neither light had worked, I probably still wouldn't know I had them.
3.) Forward step light doesnít work
4.) Forward door latch needs adjustment (have to slam door from inside in order to latch). Missed during PDI as I never closed the door from the inside. I didn't notice the amount of force required to close the door until I was camping.
5.) Bathroom door latch needs adjustment. You have to push the handle up to open the door. Pushing the handle down will not move the latching thingy enough to open the door.
6.) Living room TV. (This was found during the PDI, and was supposed to be fixed before I took delivery. I trusted them when they told me it was fixed and didn't test it.) No sound through sound bar
TV has coaxial digital sound out
Sound bar has optical digital sound in
Adapter is optical to coaxial; Needs to be coaxial to optical
7.) Patio rail screen driverís side from the rail to the garage wall, stitching coming undone. (Not found during PDI, as I didn't unfold the rails).
8.) Many of the AC vents have chunks of Styrofoam in them. I got sprayed with styrofoam nuggets when I first turned on the AC. I'm worried that the chunks may be blocking some of the air flow. Also, I'm wondering where they came from and are they a sign of some other problem that needs to be fixed. During the PDI, I used the "Quick Cool" feature and just had the cold air blow direct from the ACs to check operation. I didn't think to look into the vents.
9.) Rear screen (Garage to patio screen); has a gap of two inches between the driver's side wall. Screen is not attached in any way to the sides and just flaps in the breeze. Screen is not "square" to the trailer. It's pretty crooked; by several inches. Also the screen holder (at the top) was not attached on one side and was just laying on the lift bed. It was attached on one side by double sided tape, but was laying loose on the other side. This was noticed during the PDI and the entire screen unit is supposed to be replaced.
10.) Black tank flush is apparently clogged or blocked somewhere. There are two inlets, one labeled "Black Tank Flush", the other not labeled. Both inlets are blocked or clogged. I'm not sure if the second inlet is for a grey tank flush or what it may be, but it doesn't do anything.

I have not tested the generator under a load, nor have I tested the DVD player (I've got a blu-ray player that I'll be using and don't plan on even using the built-in DVD player). I did not get an owners manual for the convection/microwave oven, but figure I can download one once I get the trailer back from the dealership and get the model number. I put a small amount of water into the fresh water tank and pressure checked the system during the PDI. No problems were noted, but I have not used the onboard fresh water tank.

Is this a normal amount of things to find wrong with a new unit ?
I expected to find some items based on my readings here and on other RV forums, but this seemed just a bit more than I really expected. The unit went back to the dealership on April 22nd for all the fixes. I do not have a date on when they expect to have the unit back to me yet (its now May 5th). Anyone have any idea how long these type of repairs should take?

I really like this unit. The floor plan is almost perfect for me. The only thing I would change is to make the living room slide just a little smaller so I could get to the bathroom without having to extend the slide.

Thanks for reading a rather long post.
This is quite the list. Let me comment on a couple of items, I am going to comment on what I have, so there may be differences. Not sure what you are pulling.

1.Grey tank not draining. Mine has 2 black, 2 greay, and 1 fresh water. You should have a drain for each one. The galley drain may be tricky to find. Took me a while, don't remember seeing it on the PDI. But I have a black drain and a grey drain in my water hook up door, my galley drain lever is sticking through the frame just in front of the front axel, my main fresh water drain us underneath the trailer frame just behind this gally drain, then of course your second black tank is in back behind your last axel. so if you are at a full hook up, you will have 4 drain valves that need to be open. you didn't mention that you have tried opening the drain on the gally grey tank, so I am just assuming that drain valve was overlooked.

2. If you got water in your underbelly that sounds like some drain piping is not put together well. Some of it is difficult to get to, but you will need to probably remove the sides inside your belly storage to access them. You can probably assess any damage from the water, depending on how much and for how long will determine the damage if any has happened.

3. I don't have any valves to open for black tank flush, I am assuming yours is set up like mine, my first flush is in my water hook up compartment, that is for the main toilet flush, my second is towards the rear and it is for my rear toilet flush. My question is why do you think it is not flowing? I know mine doesn't flow a lot of GMP due to what is inside the tank, they are spray nozzels so if you are expecting a lot of flow out of your black tank, you won't.

5. All the rest of your things just have your dealer take care of under warranty. I think that a list like yours may be longer than others but I don't feel from what I have been reading is abnormal. We have a notepad we take with us to make notes of things that will need attention for waranty work, I don't want to take it in everytime something pops up, so i am waiting for one more trip to have them work on the warranty stuff. Hope this helps.