Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-11-2013, 10:41 AM   #1

New Toy Haulers - Help with tie-downs

Hi, I just picked up my first travel trailer toy hauler, a Grey Wolf 21RR. We are hoping to take our small motorcycle on a cross country trip and are hoping to get some help with tie-down methods. The 21RR has four floor tie-down locations. Can anyone provide pictures or details on methods you have used to secure your toys? We have only towed are bikes on flat trailers with front wheel chalks, typically using racketing straps. Any guidance is appreciated!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2013, 12:28 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by macdonkn View Post
Hi, I just picked up my first travel trailer toy hauler, a Grey Wolf 21RR. We are hoping to take our small motorcycle on a cross country trip and are hoping to get some help with tie-down methods. The 21RR has four floor tie-down locations. Can anyone provide pictures or details on methods you have used to secure your toys? We have only towed are bikes on flat trailers with front wheel chalks, typically using racketing straps. Any guidance is appreciated!
Do it just like you do the trailer. The same chock should work as well.

Old 08-11-2013, 07:47 PM   #3

I use a Condor for the front wheel and then the ratcheting straps to the floor tie downs.
Old 08-11-2013, 07:57 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
I use two 2 x 6 x 12 pulled up snug against front and rear tires. One on each side. Then I cut a 1 x 4 the width of my pick up truck and slide it under the kick stand on the bike. I screw the 1 x 4 to the 2 x 6s. That keeps the bike tires from bouncing or sliding. then I use ratchets to tie down the front and rear, one on each corner.

Dave
Old 08-11-2013, 08:45 PM   #5

We mounted Condor chocks in our toy hauler which allows us to pull the bikes in and they stand. We then use two straps to pull our bikes forward to secure them into the chocks. We use two additional straps to slightly pull down the rear of the bikes to hold them in place. This system works well for us.
Old 08-17-2013, 08:24 AM   #6

A Condor or another freestanding type of wheel chock should work well for your light bike. I have a Harbor Freight free standing wheel chock - I didn't want to mount it in my Toyhauler's living/dining area and trip over it or have a mounting plate there. I run a ratchet strap through the tie-downs on the chock to the front floor tie-downs to keep it from moving. I strap my 800lb Kingpin tour to the wheel chocks anchors, and 2 more straps to the floor front anchors. I then run 1 strap through the rear wheel to both rear anchor points to snug it back and to keep the rear of the bike from walking during the ride.
I just used this setup in my motorcycle box trailer to go from Florida to Sturgis S.D. and back, for the bike rally. No problems at all - 3940 miles traveled.
NFlcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:55 AM   #7

Pingel removable wheel chocks: Motorcycle Wheel Chocks

Mac's ratcheting tie-downs straps (bottom item on the page): Mac's Custom Tiedowns - LEDTrailerLights.com
Old 08-26-2013, 11:50 AM   #8

"Canyon Dancer" on the handle bars......Ratchet straps with the suspension compressed about 40-50%.....Wheel chock if you have one.

You don't want the front wheel "washing out" (side to side). It must be secured to the floor of the trailer in some fashion either with a motorcycle tire chock or a couple pieces of wood screwed into the trailer floor on each side or two straps, one on each side holding it in place.

Be sure the ends of the tie-downs are secured with wire-ties or some other method. I've see bike wrecked because the trailer hits a bump and the hooks become detached.

Bike needs at least four straps. And they need to be pulling from an angle. Looking down on the bike...at 2 O'clock, 4 O'clock, 8 O'clock and 10 O'clock. This stops the bike from falling over AND from moving front to back.

I like and trust ratchet straps better than simple cinch straps. Buy good ones. The extra cost over the Horrible Freight or Wally World will pale in comparison to what a bike going bad can do to itself AND the interior of your Toy Hauler.

If you have extra straps, use them! I like LOTS of straps... :-)

I've hauled hundreds of racing motorcycles over the years. Haven't lost one yet!
Old 08-27-2013, 10:46 PM   #9

I mainly haul quads, but I do have one of the (Pingle I think) wheel chocks that bayonet mounts into the floor for when I occasionally haul motorcycles.

For straps, I highly recommend the endless ratchet type. No hooks that could pop off if you hit something hard enough to jostle the bike's suspension, and nothing that will scar or scratch the bike. The rubber will eventually come off the hooks on the other type.

I've also added a bunch of heavy recessed D ring type anchors.
Old 09-08-2013, 12:58 PM   #10

With my dirt bike I use 3 straps. 1st I tie the bike from the frame to the rear tie down which keeps the bike from being able to move forward. Then the 2 on the handlebars just like you would in a truck bed. I put a tool in my front shock so I don't compress the shock to much and get it tight. Never had any issues.
Old 12-17-2013, 09:43 AM   #11

We use this in our trailer, works great and maintains a flat floor when the bike

Hmm, can't seem to be able to post the link. Google to Pit Stop Motorcycle Chocks.
Old 12-17-2013, 09:47 AM   #12

The chock works better than this damn computer it seems
Old 01-04-2014, 07:08 AM   #13

I mounted my Harbor Freight front wheel chock on a sheet of 5/8 plywood for my first trip hauling a 965 lb Honda Goldwing in the back of my Weekend Warrior. Could move it out if needed, didn't do it very often. Did cut down the plywood to 2x8 ft so I could slide it to one side while parked for a long time. Made it much better and I didn't have to put the plywood outside. (Wet Florida is not good for plywood lying on the ground.) Am still using the same wheel chock.(since 2008) have a different motorcycle now and the chock moved to the truck. Got a garage in the trailer big enough for the car now. The bike rides so much better in the truck. Still working on the best position for the car, and best tiedown method. Curriently using over the wheel straps on E-Track. May switch to frame or axle straps or combination Need to visit with one of the Auto Transport experts.

Rod
Old 03-08-2014, 05:24 PM   #14

I have condors in my MC trailer and was hoping to find the Kuryakyn EZ Chock for my toy hauler but can not find them anywhere. I prefer not to drill into the floor of the toy hauler so I'm in a quandary also. Anyone else know of any EZ Chock type horns that do not bolt down. The condors are great but take up some space that I prefer not to loose when using the garage as an additional room. I definitely do not want to drill into the floor http://youtu.be/fDsBp8PtchA
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-430847707.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	57770