Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-21-2016, 11:34 AM   #1

Newbie about to buy something

Iím going to buy a toy hauler. That represents 90% about what I know on this topic. So I need some help.

I just bought a 2006 GMC HD2500 turbo diesel 4x4, (LBZ/Allison). It has an air bag set up and the factory tow package.

The trailer is for myself, my wife, two 60 lb dogs and two 800 lb Harleyís, (Dynaís, not baggers). The dogs are tent camping veterans and require no special accommodations. My wife and I, not so much.
We saw a new Evergreen 21sa at a camping show and loved it. It was $32k, so that was more money than I wanted to spend being fairly ignorant on the subject. Iíve since looked at a lot of campers, and it is still my favorite. I swore it was an Ampíd, but they donít show they have a 21 foot Ampíd at the Evergreenr website, so I think it must have been a Reactor. I know it was a 21 foot trailer. I think a 21 foot trailer is fine for my truck, (right?), and I donít want to go bigger unless I have to, (max I want to pull is 24 ft, which is still safe for my truck?). All the weights seem to be in tolerance.

I liked the plethora of tie downs that were purportedly all anchored to the frame.

We liked the front bedroom and the fact that it had a door. My wife believes this will help her escape my occasional snoring if need be, plus the privacy is good.

We liked the good bathroom, useable shower, nice toilet, etc.

The one we saw didnít have a bed in the back that raises to the ceiling and drops down. I donít ever want 6 people in my trailer, so the front bedroom and the two couches that make a bed are perfectly fine. I like the more open air feel without the drop down bed. Iíd say 95% of the time it will just be my wife and I.

I want to be able to dry camp for 3 or 4 days without service. The salesmen there said it had a 50 gallon fresh water tank, but the online literature says it has a 100 gallon fresh water tank, 50/50 for grey and black water. It has on onboard Onan generator. So this seems fine, right?

It had an external gas station on it, but since my toys are street bikes and you can drive them to a gas station this only seems cool, not important.

The salesman told me it had a bullet proof roof. That sounds great. The online info says it has a rubber roof, and Iíve been told that rubber roofs require annual maintenance. There is like a 12 year warranty on the roof. Whatís the deal on that?

Iíll be parking at some external lot as my Home Association doesnít allow campers for more than a couple of weeks. I think I should pay extra for covered parking?

It had a solar charging system for the batteries. I think that is a really good thing. Is it?

My wife did not like the lack of counter space. It only has the cover over the sink to chop stuff on. I told her that this was inevitable for a trailer as small as we wanted, and it wasnít a valid concern. Is she right and I am totally wrong, (again), on this? (I think I could rig up a butcher block board to go on the end of the counter that we could use, temporarily eating up part of the couch that sits there. Has this been done thousands of times?)

I didnít like that it was new. Is it worth the extra expense for warranty and service, or should I wait until I find a relatively new used option? I havenít found many of this camper used, what other options should I consider.

I was concerned about the clearance of the black water drain pipe. Salesman said all were like that, and you would be fine as long as you did not off-road. Is this right?

It had a flat screen TV and stereo with external speakers. Thatís neat, but how much better off am I with that as opposed to a Best Buy trip to get a small TV, BlueRay player and cd radio? It has an antenna, but what does that receive? It didnít look like any dish Iíve seen. Do a lot of parks have wireless for Netflix viewing?

So I will buy a trailer, and I will heed advice. If you decide to give me advice it will go to use. Any insight on the questions I asked, or telling me questions I didnít know were questions, will be greatly appreciated.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2016, 02:42 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by y-squared View Post

The salesman told me it had a bullet proof roof. That sounds great. The online info says it has a rubber roof, and Iíve been told that rubber roofs require annual maintenance. There is like a 12 year warranty on the roof. Whatís the deal on that?
There is a 12-year warranty on the roof material. The material is pretty tough and does well. The seams of the roof are hardly bulletproof and need at least annual inspection and maintenance. It's generally best to keep the entire roof clean.

As most water damage claims are things other than roof material - mainly seam, seals, etc - the "12 year" warranty on a roof is worthless. It'd cover replacement of the roofing material ONLY - no labor and that material almost never goes bad.

Quote:
Iíll be parking at some external lot as my Home Association doesnít allow campers for more than a couple of weeks. I think I should pay extra for covered parking?
Covered parking is best. It's your investment. Covered parking is probably especially important in sunny states or states that get a lot of rain.

Quote:
It had a solar charging system for the batteries. I think that is a really good thing. Is it?
Plan on camping without power? If so, it might be important, but usually the OEM systems are inadequate for that purpose. Camping without power is called "boondocking".

Expect to have to disconnect the batteries when not in use, as well as look after their water levels twice per year.

Quote:
I told her that this was inevitable for a trailer as small as we wanted, and it wasnít a valid concern.
I don't argue with your wife...

Quote:
I didnít like that it was new. Is it worth the extra expense for warranty and service, or should I wait until I find a relatively new used option? I havenít found many of this camper used, what other options should I consider.
Almost all new RVs have issues - how quickly they are resolved is a function of your dealer and the manufacturer. It's not unusual for turn-around time to be in excess of 30 days.

Used is depreciated and that's good for your wallet. How good it is will depend on how well cared for the used RV is. It's seems to be hard to find RVs that are well cared for.

Extended warranty is insurance. Might be worth it, might not. Price it OUTSIDE of the sales desk and look for complaints on the company providing coverage.

Quote:
I was concerned about the clearance of the black water drain pipe. Salesman said all were like that, and you would be fine as long as you did not off-road. Is this right?
I'd say that's true.

Quote:
It had a flat screen TV and stereo with external speakers. Thatís neat, but how much better off am I with that as opposed to a Best Buy trip to get a small TV, BlueRay player and cd radio? It has an antenna, but what does that receive? It didnít look like any dish Iíve seen. Do a lot of parks have wireless for Netflix viewing?
Likely better off doing your own thing, but some of the higher end toy haulers have decent AV packages.
The Antenna receives over the air HD - generally near urban areas.
Generally you cannot stream over WIFI in the RV community.

Tags