Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-19-2007, 07:04 PM   #1

Howdy all!

I just picked up a 2006 WW FS2300 from a friend who was moving to Japan and couldn't afford to keep the trailer...

It has the Dometic Brisk Air 13.5k BTU AC and an Onan 4k genset...

I have 2 Honda EU2000 generators (one NIB) and would like to know if it would be safe to run the AC with the one EU2000?...(and no other devices but AC)

I hooked up the EU2000 this afternoon, and the AC ran fine...pumped out 37 degree air on HIGH with no obvious struggling...The EU2000 ran fine as well, although I know it was MAXED out...

I've heard that running the AC with a low capacity input can damage the unit...Is this true?

I would prefer to use the Honda since it's so quiet and great on gas...

Thanks in advance!

2003 Ford F-250 6.0L Diesel
BogSpores is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2007, 07:04 PM   #2

Howdy all!

I just picked up a 2006 WW FS2300 from a friend who was moving to Japan and couldn't afford to keep the trailer...

It has the Dometic Brisk Air 13.5k BTU AC and an Onan 4k genset...

I have 2 Honda EU2000 generators (one NIB) and would like to know if it would be safe to run the AC with the one EU2000?...(and no other devices but AC)

I hooked up the EU2000 this afternoon, and the AC ran fine...pumped out 37 degree air on HIGH with no obvious struggling...The EU2000 ran fine as well, although I know it was MAXED out...

I've heard that running the AC with a low capacity input can damage the unit...Is this true?

I would prefer to use the Honda since it's so quiet and great on gas...

Thanks in advance!

Old 03-19-2007, 08:01 PM   #3

Wow,

I'm impressed. I had no idea that the EU2000 would power the AC. If it can handle the initial surge from the AC, I believe it will not damage the unit.
Old 03-20-2007, 05:41 AM   #4

Thanks for the speedy reply!....

Yep, I've read all kinds of posts saying "it shouldn't or couldn't be done..." but none where anyone actually tried it!...

The Honda EU2000 has an "Eco Throttle" button that limits the throttle to the load required...I figured, that it would be best to have this feature TURNED OFF, so the generator would be at max throttle when the AC surged on start-up...

I ran the AC for at least 30 minutes, on HIGH, coldest setting without any issues...

I'm hoping that the Duo Therm AC as some sort of internal "fail safe" that will prevent any compressor damage due to insufficient current flow...

Old 03-20-2007, 05:32 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
BogSpores

I don't know about yours but mine came with the 13,500 High efficency unit that only uses about 9 amps to run it. I believe the regular 13,500 unit uses about 13 amps, maybe thats why your 2000 will run it.

By the way, welcome to the forum!
Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 03:45 PM   #6

Mr. Spores:

First of all, welcome to iRV2!! We hope your "travels" here are fun and informative!

Second, gooooooooood choice on those EU2000i's...that's just ANOTHER thing I'd like to put on my list to keep from running the Onana 5500 so much (got over 500 hours on it already, and it'll be 2 years old this June).

You can camp next to me anytime with Hondas running! Good luck!
Old 03-21-2007, 06:52 PM   #7

Thanks fellas for the "welcomes" and tips!...

This forum looks like a really good place with lots of good people!...I plan on hanging out for advice and giving some when I can...

Yes, I am VERRRRY pleased with the EU2000's...I mainly used it for simple tasks (battery charging, buffer, shop-vac)...

Last night, I hooked it up to my 3hp Craftsman 10gal air-compressor to see if it would run...No problems!...I figured the 3hp motor on the compressor would choke the Honda, but it didn't break a sweat!...

Vette Racer, I believe you are correct about the amps on our AC units...the 13 amp version would probably stall the Honda...

I plan to use the Honda for the same reason (to save hours on the Onan), since it's also considerably quieter...

Now I have another question/idea...

I picked up a large plastic box (trunk, container, whatever you want to call it) and wonder if I placed the Honda inside the box, mounted two electric fans on each end, then closed the lid, how quiet would the generator be then?...I figure, with 2 fans on either end (push, pull config) running off the generator itself, there would be adequate cooling...The box is a heavy duty black plastic, with a hinged lid...Kind of like a "job-site" box, only super heavy plastic...

What do you guys think?

(Vette Racer, you and I have something in common!...)

Old 03-22-2007, 05:14 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
I saw that, but we have more than corvettes, my wife is from Albuquerque and we go out there every year for a family reunion, although a bit farther SW of there, little place called Datil. Course, we always have to stop in Albq coming back for some shopping in old town and some fine green chile enchilada's at one or more of our favorite places.

As for your question, it would probably stay cool enough but I would worry about the amount of dirt that would pass through the box rigged up like that. From what I've heard the 2000 is so quiet its not needed.
Old 03-23-2007, 09:20 AM   #9

Hey!...no kiddin'!...the wife is a local girl huh!...cool!...

We're originally from Roswell NM, but I'm currently stationed here at Kirtland AFB...

I've driven through Datil on my way to hunt Elk...Nice place to hang your hat!...

Good points about the box around the EU2000...I hadn't considered the dirt issue...

And, you are correct, the EU2000 is pretty quiet to begin with...

I told my buddy about the Honda being able to run my AC, and he immediately said "running your AC with that genset will kill the AC compressor..."

Do you believe that is a true statement?...

Old 03-23-2007, 06:03 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
I'm no expert on Honda gensets but if you check the voltage output of the generator while running the AC and it holds around 120 volts and the generator doesn't struggle to start the compressor, then I would think it'd be ok. Low voltage would cause a higher amp load and could cause damage to the compressor but I would think you'd notice either the generator having problems keeping up or the AC struggling to run if it wasn't supplying enough. JMO.
Old 03-23-2007, 09:14 PM   #11

Thanks for the advice...Yeah, I figured since the genset appears to be keeping up with the load without struggling, I shouldn't be worried about the compressor...

I'll check the output while running just to be sure though...

Either way, I can always use the Onan since that's what its for...if only a bit on the noisy side...