Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-30-2007, 02:14 PM   #1

Hello all, I am new to this forum and new to 5th wheeling. Just sold my 30 foot Aljo tounge hall and bought a 40 foot Jayco Recon. Looking forward to meeting all of you and learning about fifth wheels.

I will start with a simple question (I hope), the location I am planing on storing my 5er is up a rather steep driveway after a dip between the road and the driveway. A friend told me I should be carefull that the 5er and the cab of the rtuck don't hit due to the dip. Is this possible? I have a 06 Ford F3550 CC 4x4 DRW (tow boss) and just put a Reese 24K signature series hitch in. I pick up the trailer this Friday.

Thanks in advance!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-30-2007, 02:14 PM   #2

Hello all, I am new to this forum and new to 5th wheeling. Just sold my 30 foot Aljo tounge hall and bought a 40 foot Jayco Recon. Looking forward to meeting all of you and learning about fifth wheels.

I will start with a simple question (I hope), the location I am planing on storing my 5er is up a rather steep driveway after a dip between the road and the driveway. A friend told me I should be carefull that the 5er and the cab of the rtuck don't hit due to the dip. Is this possible? I have a 06 Ford F3550 CC 4x4 DRW (tow boss) and just put a Reese 24K signature series hitch in. I pick up the trailer this Friday.

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-30-2007, 03:39 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Gadget Dude

First of all, let me welcome you to iRV2 and our little world here in the Toyhauler forum.

I would say that you shouldn't have a problem with backing in but I would watch the bed rail clearance over the dip just in case but, since I don't have a towboss our favorite Mod around here, WWFan does and I'm sure he'll be along pretty soon and give you a more complete answer. There is another new member here, TowBoss, that also has a recon so you could PM him too.

Since this is your first post I'll put a link to our new member forum so others can welcome you to iRV2 also, again, welcome and come back often.
Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 04:16 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Glad you found us here. With the 4 x 4 you will need to make sure you get as much bed rail clearance as possible. Minimum is 6" and I'd try to get 8" if possible.

Come back often.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 04:53 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Gadget Dude welcome to irv2.
As you can see some good people here to help you out.
Good luck with new 5th enjoy the forums and do post often.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 06:44 PM   #6

ooooooo...Gadget Dude...I like it. Boy, are ya gonna like the Mod thread up at the top!

Well, welcome to iRV2!! Hey...don't let VR tell you otherwise...if we base "expert" on age and experience, he's got me beat. Only in the beauty department do I have him over a barrel.

As the others have said, it's really only a matter of taking it easy and making sure you don't mate the end of the bed with the bottom of the 5vr. If you get close, then hopefully you've got some room to do something about the steep angle (do you?).

Of course, most of the newer 5vr coaches have an enclosed underside "hump" up front. I had an older WW SLC that didn't, and I only had 5" of clearance, but if I was in a straight, I could inch the bed UP between the frame rails to achieve my clearance problem. I won't tell ya about the time I didn't succeed.

And, of course, there are other techniques you could use if you can't do anything about the angle of your newfound joy's "bed"- right before the point where it looks like it's going to hit, you could "prop up" the front axle on the TV (Tow Vehicle) to minimize the slant and continue the scaffolding until the TV gets back into a bette shape- but that would entail a bunch of work (and supplies) and you don't want to do that if you don't have to (it's kinda like NOT having your rig at the house- if that's where you're planning to keep it- little by little, the more you got to go get it, bring it back to pack, go on your trip, come back and unload, then take it to it's storage place....well you get the idea- you'll slowly taper off your trips because it just gets too cumbersome. But I've seen it done.

Well, good luck with your new rig! Be sure to put your location in your profile so we know what part o' the country you're in- it's a good way to meet new people and get some trips together.

Sean
WWFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 12:30 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Gadget Dude, welcome to iRV2.com. We are glad to have you join us here and look forward to reading of your adventures and experiences. Congratulations on the new Jayco. I am sure you will like both it and the forum. You will find we are a group of fun loving RVers that like to help each other where we can. If you have any questions just ask. Good luck and take care.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 03:53 AM   #8

I have a Tow Boss and I have 9" of bedrail clearance, I wouldn't want much less. But I go off road all the time with it.
Old 01-31-2007, 06:11 AM   #9

I think its one of those things where you might have to have you driving and a friend watching the first time. Then like Sean said you might have to use some type of cribbing to drive the rear wheels of you truck over to help reduce the steep angle. It one of those things your going to have to try first and then adjust.

BTW, welcome to the sight. Good luck.

Rod

WW LE3505
melon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 09:23 AM   #10

Thanks for all the great responses. I am looking forward to picking up the new rig. I wish I could store at my residence but there is just no room. A friend has a couple of acre's but the only catch is the hill in the driveway. I will make sure and have someone watch as I try to go up the drive. I will let you know how it goes.
Old 01-31-2007, 02:25 PM   #11

GD, welcome to iRV2! I'm glad to see another Recon join the group, now we have two that I know of. I just got mine a month ago and love it so far. As you see by my sig, I also have a F350 TB. The model of Recon I have is the 36V. Did you look at all the Recon models before you bought yours? Keep in touch and let me know how you like yours. Also, post pics when you get them.
Old 01-31-2007, 05:13 PM   #12

Thanks TB. I will post pictures soon. I did look at all the models. My wife fell for the kitchen in the 37U and it was all over except writing out the check! I actually like tht floor plan a lot, I just have to get used to the slide sticking out on the camp side of the trailer. I pick it up Friday morning and can't wait to start customizing it to make it ours. I think that is a carry over from the Harley world. Can't leave anything stock!!
Old 02-04-2007, 05:34 PM   #13

Well I picked her up on Friday. She is a beautiful rig for sure! I was not sucessfull getting up the driveway, I made it about 3/4 off the street and up the drive before the rear end touched the pavement. Off to a storage lot it will be. Thanks for all the advise. I am sure I will have more questions soon.
Old 02-06-2007, 06:15 AM   #14

Hey GD,
Can't you fill in the low spot on the driveway with something so the trailer does not bottom out? Just a couple of 2x4's in the gutter so the dip isn't so big. I know this is something you have been mulling over in your mind for a couple days, just trying to help keep it out of storage. I know how expensive that can be.

Rod (O===O)

WW LE3505
melon is offline   Reply With Quote