Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-03-2019, 10:08 PM   #1

Newbie TH Question

How should the couch in garage be set up driving down the road? Folded against the wall? Down with the support? All the way up right under the bed? Or does it matter
KHBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2019, 05:13 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHBama View Post
How should the couch in garage be set up driving down the road? Folded against the wall? Down with the support? All the way up right under the bed? Or does it matter
Personally, I don't think it really matters. There is probably less stress on the mounting hardware if it is down all the way with the support legs extended and resting on the floor. Next in line, regarding stress would be folded down and against the wall. And obviously the third would be all the way up in the raised position. If you are carrying toys in the garage, it is going to be up and out of the way. I read on one of the forums I'm on (can't remember which one though) a guy posted that it came down on top of his motorcycle. I believe he drilled the track and put pins on all four corners, similar to the way the top bed is pinned. If doing this, I would make myself a large Orange colored sign to hang on the sofa to remind me to pull the pins out before lowering!. His issue is the first and only one I've heard of or read about something like that happening....so certainly not an everyday occurrence. We made probably fifty or so trips with two motorcycles in ours and the bed and sofa up and not once did anything come down on the bikes.
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 06:21 AM   #3

Ours was up all, the time, never an issue. Keystone Raptor
Rubirose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 11:54 AM   #4

WE have a coachman Catalina trailblazer and our couch was so miserable as a couch or bed we took it out. We bought disc-o-beds for the grandkids to sleep on. The beds come apart and fit in a flat bag. Set up and take down is pretty quick once you’ve done it a time or two. We have memory foam if needed. Bag chairs to sit on.
Geezette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 01:07 PM   #5

We have a 2018 Momentum 395M. First long trip from NE Pa to S. Carolina on not so smooth as glass I-95. Had beds in the up position with nothing but a mattress topper on the couches. The rear pin that holds the sofas in the extended position completely sheared in half. Back curb side fell down and twisted, pulled all of the mounting screws out of both sofas. Wedged itself against the 3 season door. Fixed under warranty, but I don't travel with them up anymore, put them in down position against the wall. Luckily I didn't have my bike with me when it broke or that would have been an even bigger mess.
DuallyMike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags