Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 07-08-2012, 10:56 PM   #1
Newbie to RVing likes the TH Needs Help!!!

I am a newbie..havent bought one yet. Never used any kind of RV. We are interested in buying a 5th wheel toyhauler. Husband will need to use it for out of town work which could last up to 2-3 months at a time. Some times 1-3 weeks. I need help!

1-I there a list of terminology used on this website? Like TH for toy hauler..What is MH, 5er, DP, CW etc?

2. Is there some kind of check list provided on this site (or anywhere) to use before making purchase/signing on the dotted line? I have no idea what to ask or look for.

3. How do you know what size of truck to get to pull a 5th wheel/toy hauler? We currently have 1999 diesel F350 Super Duty Truck.

4. I have read one manufacturer did not honor warranty on "purchased as new" rv because it sat on the sellers lot too long? Is this legal? Is is bad to let one sit for a long time? Does sitting apply to 5th wheels?

5. When your make purchase, will dealer teach you how to use everything, hook ups, etc?
6. What are all the classes of RV's ?
7. Do RV parks provide wi-fi? Do they rent for short time and long time use? Is there a web site or list that provided RV park ratings? What do you look for when renting a Rv park space?
7. Anything else I should research for basics?
8. Is there a book, web site, anything to help teach/answer these type of questions?

TXDIANIMAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2012, 07:35 AM   #2
Fleetwood Owners Club
Well let me try to help with a few things,

1. As for a list I don't know of one there might be one.

2. Things to look for,
When your looking around the outside and it's a slick side unit (fiberglass) look for waves in the sidewall that a sign of water leak.
Look at all the fixtures see if any are loose or hanging off or not tight, grab them if needed.
Check all doors open everyone and check locks.
Look at the waste tank valves to see if they are leaking.
Look at the windows to see condition.
Look at the roof most peopls will not look at the roof don't take the salesman word that it's good. Look for sign of age chalking is sign of age but also shows it needs to be cleaned, small cracks like shattered glass look show the roof is dried out and splitting, look for soft spots also.
On the inside take a good smell when you enter now this time of the year they will be hot inside but you can still smell mold or water damage or musty smell.
Look at the floor make sure all the coverings are in good shape.
Look at the rest of the unit doors, cabinets, ect if it happen to be plugged in which most of the time there not check all systems.

3. I had a 93 f350 dually and I pulled some big units with it had no problem you should have enough truck just check the towing specs.

4. Sitting is bad for all of them not just 5th wheels if they sit for a long time years things might not work correct.

5. The dealership will or should go through the unit ask them to plug it up and run all the systems, it should have been done when they get the unit ready for pick up.

6. Class A - motorhome
Class B - coinversion vans
Class C Small motorhome ones with the overhang over the driver.
Travel trailers
5 th Wheels
Park models

7. Some RV park do offer wi-fi just check the website or call and ask. Some have season rates others have weekly or by day rates they should be listes on the website, do a search for rv park and you will see many lists of parks.

8. RV forums will teach alot but the hands on method works great

9. There is books out there to explain more on the tech sides of systems in the unit.

Hope this helps

Mark Anderson - Nebo NC - western NC - RV Restoration tech - 9 Doggies - Outdoors person
1990 33ft Wilderness Cimarron 33X
nightriderrv is offline   Reply With Quote

newbie, rving