Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-16-2014, 10:09 PM   #1

Talking Newmar 3920 Vs Outlaw 37LS

Good Day,
I am interesting to get my first RV, I’m thinking big and I want a toy hauler. Two cruiser motorcycle will be using the garage while traveling.
I have been comparing the Newmar 3920 and the Outlaw 37LS, and I like some characteristic in one model and others in the other model.
For example, the bedroom in the Newmar is more confortable that just a loft in the Outlaw.
The Outlaw interior design has more storage and better-looking furniture.
Newmar is 39” vs Outlaw 37”
Outlaw offers a private patio and a bed over driver’s sit.

I would like to see if someone of you could share more information about this RV, and help me to decide with model should I get. And of course any Dealership information recommended to do a good business would be appreciate it
Thanks
R0sewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2014, 08:48 AM   #2

When I bought my Newmar 3920 I went through the same thing you are going through now.

The deciding factor for me was the rating the RV Consumer Group gave regarding the 'quality' of the Outlaw.

RV Consumer Group - We Rate RVs

Yes, I've had my share of problems with the Newmar, however, still glad I chose it over the Outlaw.

I think the loft bedroom would get very hot also and make sleeping very uncomfortable.
heritage2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 09:51 AM   #3

Newmar 3920 Vs Outlaw 37LS

Hi ROsewin! I'm also nearing a toy hauler decision. I'm leaning heavily towards an Outlaw, though not the 37LS model. They also have a 37MD model with a couch below the loft entrance which can be made into a bed similar to the Canyon Star. You can find youtube links to see vids of the 2014 37MD models.

The thread below contains a wealth of info about Outlaws going back in time and the more recent threads share problems with the newer models:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f120/i-lo...aw-102560.html
Shangri-La is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 10:28 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by heritage2006 View Post
When I bought my Newmar 3920 I went through the same thing you are going through now. The deciding factor for me was the rating the RV Consumer Group gave regarding the 'quality' of the Outlaw. RV Consumer Group - We Rate RVs Yes, I've had my share of problems with the Newmar, however, still glad I chose it over the Outlaw. I think the loft bedroom would get very hot also and make sleeping very uncomfortable.
I would not put much stock into that site. Many here have mentioned they do not view or even drive all the RVs they rate and most information comes from manufacture spec sheets and brochures.

That said I think both brands have their merits and you will no doubt love which ever you choose. For those that want a dedicated bedroom the Newmar is a big hit.
Orangepeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 04:00 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by R0sewin View Post
Good Day,
I am interesting to get my first RV, I’m thinking big and I want a toy hauler. Two cruiser motorcycle will be using the garage while traveling.
I have been comparing the Newmar 3920 and the Outlaw 37LS, and I like some characteristic in one model and others in the other model.
For example, the bedroom in the Newmar is more confortable that just a loft in the Outlaw.
The Outlaw interior design has more storage and better-looking furniture.
Newmar is 39” vs Outlaw 37”
Outlaw offers a private patio and a bed over driver’s sit.

I would like to see if someone of you could share more information about this RV, and help me to decide with model should I get. And of course any Dealership information recommended to do a good business would be appreciate it
Thanks
Rosewin,

You have posted in the "towable" section of iRV2, so you might miss some of the audience desired. Unfortunately, there is no "Toy Hauler" section in the motorhome part of iRV2...but, as found - that is because there are only the 2 brands making motorized Toy Haulers (except for custom ordered rigs like Renegade or Toterhome).

The Brand X vs. Brand Y question will usually find brand loyal responses...
...so, I will offer an Outlaw point of view to you questions:

The Outlaw is the original and best selling motorized Toy Hauler

It has been made since 2006 as a 2007 model. It has been built on 3 chassis and of the 3, there have been 4 GVWR ratings with the current being rated at 26,000LB (only exceeded by the 2009-2010 Freightliner Front Engine Diesel - FRED at 27,000LB GVWR)

Your first choice to make is, "must you" have a bedroom or not? The 37LS offers the large loft that can fit a CalKing sized mattress. The 37MD offers the mid-room that is a multi-purpose area because the bed folds into a couch - and a loft (but it is smaller).

The length of the 37LS (1 slide) is 38' 6"
The length of the 37MD (2 slides) is 38' 9"
2015 Outlaw Class A Toy Haulers: Class C Motorhomes by Thor Motor Coach

The ramp comes standard with the deck capability and fencing. The ramp is flat on the top and serves very well as a deck. An angled ramp will not work-out so well for a deck, even with an owner mod.

The lofts are wonderful spaces because they never are used for traffic between the garage and the rest of the RV. It is a quiet space that has fantastic temperature control thanks to direct inputs from the AirCon within a very short distance from your body in the summer and heat from the furnace naturally climbs up the angled ceiling in the winter. If not running the HVAC, the roof vent and side windows create a great ventilation path.

The Outlaw garages are 122" (10' 2") deep - Newmar is 120". But a very big difference is that the Newmar interior garage door opens into the garage - so any toys must be clear of the door to allow entry, or you have to enter from outside.

And, the BIGGEST difference will be what price you can find. The Outlaw is built like car makers with high volume and options as ordered. This business model provides a reasonable margin. The Canyon Star is built in a much lower volume and the factory will accept owner modification requests plus options. Because of this, your bottom line will be quite different.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 10:00 AM   #6
CBQ

My wife vetoed the Thor loft after about 10 seconds, so Thor wasn't an option for me. I think that's the biggest difference that will impact you - do you want a master bedroom in a loft or not? Some people love it, some don't.

The Outlaw is mass produced, and will be less expensive than Newmar. You may be able to get deals from Thor dealers trying to clear out inventory.

The Newmar Canyon Star is built on the same line as their $800,000 coaches. Newmar only builds to order, so it's very easy to have customization done at a reasonable cost when it's built. Some RV dealerships order units on spec (North Trail, for example) but you aren't likely to see lots of Canyon Stars sitting on dealer lots.

Newmar RVs have residential style construction (studs/insulation) vs. framed foam walls found in most RVs, so the walls and ceilings tend to be thick and quiet. If you see one in person, look at one of the ceiling vents and how deep it is. One standard option is extra R-19 insulation in the ceiling, and I would recommend it. It really quiets the interior during rainstorms.

My 2012 3920 Canyon Star had only 2 initial defects. An O ring was missing from the hydraulic system (caught by the dealer during prep), and a bathroom fixture had to be reglued (caught by me). That's it, and I'm pretty picky.

The Newmar 3920 floorplan seems to have more internal storage than the 3921, though the 3921 has a full wall slide that makes the bedroom huge (slides on both sides.) The new foldable bed allows dresser drawer access when the slides are both in, but that forced Newmar to remove the side windows on the headboard side slide. Personally I prefer the windows there and would order one with the conventional bed and slide windows.

At least it's easy to narrow down the field - if you want a Class A toyhauler, you only have 2 manufacturers (each with 2 floorplans) to consider. Decide how you feel about the loft bedroom, and go from there. (Also, is the Thor 37MD mid-room an acceptable substitute if you don't like the loft?) Some 2014 Thor units used the 24,000 pound chassis, all the Newmars and most of the Thors use the 26,000 pound. Something to check.
CBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newmar