RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-11-2019, 10:59 PM   #1

Newmar... Smart Car?

Hey all,

I already own the Smart Car. I know the garage is rated for 1500, and my car weighs 1800. I have also seen people who are carrying them with a Newmar.

So, it will fit, but it's overweight... how will it impact the driving?

Anyone carrying a Smart car with advice?

I want the insulation and quality of a Newmar, I started looking at Outlaws.... I know they'll carry the Smart easily, but we'll be camping in colder weather. I'd really rather have a Newmar.

DanandKelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2019, 11:18 AM   #2

I would give Newmar a call, they know more about their coaches than anyone else.

steve52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 10:46 PM   #3

I seriously doubt that Newmar will give you any information about carrying more weight than the garage is rated for, other than, "don't do it.." It's a liability thing...

It's all about the weight... remove the drop down bed and drop down seats from the garage area, then make sure nothing but the car is stored in the garage.... I don't know that it will make up the 300lbs, but it might get you close enough that you will feel OK cheating a little...

I'm in the market, shopping for a 3920. If I decide to put both my Harleys in the back, they will weigh in at 1700lbs... I don't need the bed or seats, so I've already decided to remove them and store them in my shed until I sell the motorhome...
hattitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 10:04 AM   #4

A valid point. We may just tow the smart behind a bus.
Old 11-21-2019, 07:45 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanandKelli View Post
Hey all,

I already own the Smart Car. I know the garage is rated for 1500, and my car weighs 1800. I have also seen people who are carrying them with a Newmar.

So, it will fit, but it's overweight... how will it impact the driving?

Anyone carrying a Smart car with advice?

I want the insulation and quality of a Newmar, I started looking at Outlaws.... I know they'll carry the Smart easily, but we'll be camping in colder weather. I'd really rather have a Newmar.
You're saying that the Canyon Star is better insulated than the Outlaw? I've been trying to decide between these two class A toyhaulers for several years now and have never heard of this. Something to ponder...
77Travco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 12:45 AM   #6

Newmar uses hung walls with batten insulation like a house, Thor uses vacuum sealed laminated glued fiberglass.

The reason Newmar's are so expensive is they build their own chassis and build the walls like a house, with studs and a frame.

They can't delaminate because they aren't laminated to begin with, you have actual studs to work with if you want to redecorate, and you won't hear your neighbors in an RV park in the Newmar, much quieter inside.

I live in New York, so insulation was what drew me to Newmar in the first place.

Entegra is the only coach that beats Newmar's R-rating, but only their high end diesels, the Reallta is about on par with a Newmar, everything below that uses the vacumm glued method that Thor and Tiffin use. (And Entegra doesn't have a toy hauler class A)
Old 12-05-2019, 12:37 AM   #7
Community Administrator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanandKelli View Post
Newmar uses hung walls with batten insulation like a house, Thor uses vacuum sealed laminated glued fiberglass.

The reason Newmar's are so expensive is they build their own chassis and build the walls like a house, with studs and a frame.

They can't delaminate because they aren't laminated to begin with, you have actual studs to work with if you want to redecorate, and you won't hear your neighbors in an RV park in the Newmar, much quieter inside.

I live in New York, so insulation was what drew me to Newmar in the first place.

Entegra is the only coach that beats Newmar's R-rating, but only their high end diesels, the Reallta is about on par with a Newmar, everything below that uses the vacumm glued method that Thor and Tiffin use. (And Entegra doesn't have a toy hauler class A)
Price Point has little to do with the chassis and the walls.

The Canyon Star is riding on a Ford F53 gasoline powered chassis. Their ToyHauler is on the 26,000lb GVWR frame...Newmar does not build ANY chassis'.

Hung wall with batten insulation is not a higher R Rating than the Laminate Walls in equal model levels of Tiffin and Thor. While none has ever done definitive study on this, I submit that igloo coolers and the walls used in extreme weather research stations are laminate...not batten on studs.
Plus Tiffin has studied wall strength, and advertised 16x higher wall strength...like Thor, both having aluminum box frame welded and embedded into the walls.
And, remodeling is just as easy with the aluminum in-wall frame as it is with wood "studs"
Finally, the hung wall design is much less expensive to produce and fits the much lower quantity of production in those brands. The production cost is lower, not having the massive equipment required to pressure/vacuum/flash bond the entire Class A's walls, roof, and floor structures.

Anyway, if you decide to carry the Smart in a Canyon Star, no problem...just stay below the Gross Axle Rating (posted on the placard from Ford). Like written above, remove the unnecessary furniture in the garage and add overload airbags as desired.

Carrying a Smart in the garage is SO easy and much better than towing.

Best luck

Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newmar