Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-27-2014, 05:30 PM   #1

Noob 100%

Dont want a fifth wheel, but i have seen 26-30footers that i can get , some say 1/2 ton towable but iam not attempting that , anyway iam totally new to RVing in general and havent even purchased the trailer yet, i want to b able to sleep 4 and bring maybe 4 quads 3 would be ok too, anyway what options will i want to consider and what can you reccomend or suggest in general about purchasing to pulling to actually camping etc., i will most likely never stay for longer than 3 night but i need to reduce this learning curve somehow.. never really camped or RV'D ever but i do like to ride , i know if i dont know what iam doing this could even be dangerous but then again anything fun is a risk so , please help THANKS

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2014, 05:42 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
What kind of 1/2 ton do you have. Loading a 1/2 ton with a RV and 3 or 4 quads is going to take some extreme work to accomplish.

Old 11-27-2014, 06:40 PM   #3

Appalachian Campers
A toy hauler that can carry 3-4 quads will be pretty chunky and I can't think of one that is truly in 1/2 ton range. If nothing else the quads are going to add 2500 pounds themselves.

You have two options as I see it.

1. Get more truck to match the hauler you need. This gets really expensive but in reality would best match what it sounds like you're asking.

2. Four quads tells me that several other people are going, odds are one of them will be able to drive.

Get a travel trailer that's within your trucks abilities, then get a flat trailer that can carry your quads and let someone else tow that trailer. You can put all the riding gear in the travel trailer for security.

This is assuming that one of them will have a truck that can tow the quads. Of course if this is wife and kids then you're still in the same boat.

So far as camping goes, not as hard as it looks and only gets easier with time. Whomever you buy from, person or dealership, should give you the basic rundown of what needs to be done and the how to's. Take plenty of notes, check things out.

Camp out in the driveway, with a basic heavy duty extension cord you can do anything you wish except run the air conditioning. Go through the entire process from setting completely up to tearing completely down. This will let you experience things but be close to the house to you can have anything you need.

Try to take it out reasonably close to home the first few times. It's really no big deal, back it into place, check for slide clearance, level it side to side with Lynx blocks or Andersen levelers. Then block the wheels, unhook from the truck, level front to rear with the jack.

Hook up the utilities, power, water, sewer if you have it. You're done. I alone can be backed in, fully leveled and utilities connected ready to fire up the grill in 30-45 minutes tops, your first time will take an hour, hour and a half or so.

At that point you're done. Sit, relax, fire up the quads.
sknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 08:08 PM   #4

IAM planning on or hoping to have an f-350 so that is 5th wheel capable but as I said iam not interested in running a 5th wheel, so yes I will have the truck for the job or I wont get the TH, iam guessing there is youtube on how to level the TH because iam not sure I would be able to do this without a tutorial and iam not sure weather I will purchase new or from a private party, certainly a dealer I would think could or actually I would make them go over everything with me , it seems "leveling" or learning how to is first order of business... thanks I appreciate all the help!!
Old 11-27-2014, 08:36 PM   #5

Appalachian Campers
Oh, then it's just finding the floor plan you want. I've not seen many big toy haulers in a TT floor plan.

Question, why do you not want a fifth wheel? I didn't either but now that I have one I wonder why I didn't do it earlier.
Old 11-27-2014, 08:45 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sknight View Post
Oh, then it's just finding the floor plan you want. I've not seen many big toy haulers in a TT floor plan.

Question, why do you not want a fifth wheel? I didn't either but now that I have one I wonder why I didn't do it earlier.
I will have to store the unit at a storage facility for the time being, I also want to start this hobby on the small side and see where it goes , so that being said , I want to stay between 20-30 feet for now, seems more sensible and if I want to go 5th wheel down the line I will, it may also just be me and my dog right now , any of you ever camp solo?
Old 11-27-2014, 09:06 PM   #7

Appalachian Campers
I just got back from a week alone and in September I went alone for a week save a couple of days my wife came to hang out. Trust me, it's not bad.

The constant in your equation is your quads. Toy haulers, all I've looked at, carry the toys behind the rear axles. To offset the load the length gets pretty long, four quads will need a really big hauler.

Good luck with your search, keep us appraised of what you find!
Old 11-27-2014, 09:24 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sknight View Post
I just got back from a week alone and in September I went alone for a week save a couple of days my wife came to hang out. Trust me, it's not bad.

The constant in your equation is your quads. Toy haulers, all I've looked at, carry the toys behind the rear axles. To offset the load the length gets pretty long, four quads will need a really big hauler.

Good luck with your search, keep us appraised of what you find!
cool, yea and I wasn't thinkn you are correct it will never be 4 quads , maybe 2 and then they could pull their own, wonder if I can do 2 quads and a street bike? prolly not, 2 quads is gonna be it or two bikes and the rest will go in the truck or trucks, but yea if there is that many bikes then others will drive too.....thanks so much for helpn with the curve very appreciated btw.....
Old 11-27-2014, 09:39 PM   #9

Appalachian Campers
Depends on the street bike. A sport bike takes up far less room than a dressed cruiser.

There are many options racers use to tie down their bikes for transport that have the bike up in a normal riding position. You could put a street bike sideways across the front and take up only a couple of feet.

I didn't want a toy hauler to only carry one bike so I'm figuring out my options now.

You're welcome, we were all new at one point, happy to help.
Old 11-28-2014, 10:36 AM   #10

Many will haul 4 quads as long as two of them are small kid quads. Look at units with a front walk-around bed for comfort.

Do your research, then have fun.