Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-18-2011, 08:14 PM   #1

Not a good camping experience this past weekend

Got what we thought was a good jump on time on Friday and headed up to where our TH is parked, I needed to do a couple of things to it on the inside before we left, my oldest daughter was driving my mother’s car and the wife and our 3 other kids were in the truck, I asked my oldest daughter to grab the tools that I had placed in the truck of the car, she looked at me like I came from a different planet and said, (what tools) I said to her the ones in the box. She replied well I took them out because there was not enough room for my cloths and I left them at your work. My first thought was (REALLY!!!!) So our early jump didn’t pan out so well. My daughter went back to my work and grabbed the tools, by the time she got back I already had the TH hooked and ready to go, I decided not to finish up the stuff I had to do inside and I will get to it later once we get settled, Once we got to where we were going I soon realized that everyone else seem to be at the same place, this place was packed! My 3 youngest kids were in heaven, I was not. I was giving a map on how to get to our space and turned to my wife and said why do they want us to go this way? She said you are asking the wrong person, so I went by the directions they gave me (we as men never follow directions) Note to myself always listen to your gut!
Well as I turned the corner, (the one that I knew that would be tight) the TH decided not to move!!!!
I hit a fence post on the driver side on the slide. Not bad but bad enough.
We got all set up not a big deal, Kids wanted to roast marsh mellows so I sent my oldest kid up to the front to get fire wood, started the fire which I knew this was going to be a challenge as the wood was green as green could get, well the fires was really not a fire, I could have sent smoke signals with this from CA to NY and you would have seen them. so we smoked marsh mellows.
We all turned in for the night and I decided it’s going to be a better day tomorrow.
Next morning everything went off prefect, went fishing (didn’t catch a thing) but the kids had a great time, headed back for lunch no problems, all the kids wanted to go swimming so we gathered them up and off we went, no problems there, after swimming they wanted to go to the petting zoo, and one of the kids wanted to go to the water park, no big deal they are right next to each other, Well this is when it started to go south, First my middle daughter got bit by a rabbit and about lost her finger and as see was pulling it out of the fence she got it stuck, then freaked out and bit her lip, screaming at the top of her lungs we rushed her to the front office for a band aid, the front office didn’t have a first aid kit but said we can sell you a band aid for 2.19, to my amazement I about flipped out, I went back to the TH got out first aid kit, preformed just short of open heart surgery on her and she was better, As this was going on my 2nd oldest daughter fell and smacked her knee hard! Instant bruising she was pretty messed up for a while, ( ice cream fixed it) got all that handled and things were back to somewhat normal, had dinner and smoked some marsh mellows. LOL Next morning got woken up by my mother saying she needs to get to hospital ASAP! About a month ago she had a stroke so this time I was thinking the same thing! We rushed her to the ER had my oldest daughter (20) and her boyfriend watch the little ones, while we were at the ER we decided to call the camp ground to notify them that we are at the ER and that we might not be able to check out at 11:00 but would let them know as soon as we got out of here. They said to us, (well if you are not of your space by 11:00am we will have to charge you for an extra day. My thought was (ARE U KIDDING ME) they didn’t even ask how is everything! No concern what so ever. Well we got out of the ER at 10:30 mom had vertigo and it could be from the meds she is taking, Rushed back to the camp ground and also called them and told them that we are on the way back and it’s going to be about 45mins before we can get out of the space, This time they said no big deal no one is taking this spot take your time, (cool) I got back and the oldest kid had some of our things packed (I was thankful) so we started to do the tear down, My wife and I got this down to a science so not a big issue, well the camp ground lady came by and said (how much longer are u going to be here, I have a 5ver waiting for this spot and they want to stay here for 5 days!) I said to her we just spoke to you about 5 mins ago and you told us not a big deal take your time! She said (well I just booked it and you need to get out of here asap) I was floored to say the least! As this was going down my mother fell out of the trailer and hit the ground, the camp lady saw this as my back was toward my mother as I turned around to look at what the noise was, then the camp lady just drove away. I just couldn’t believe this! Got all of our things packed and we got out of there! I really do not think I will ever return to this place even though it has about the highest rating for a camp ground you could get, Customer service is key for anyone and although I do not need to be treated special I still would like to be treated with respect
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2011, 05:26 AM   #2

iRV2 No Limits Club
I hope that you write them a letter (not an email) to the owner of the park and let them know in no uncertain terms that this sort of treatment is not acceptable and that it cost them.
Shadowcatche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 08:40 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
May I recommend that the letter to the owner of the park also include the statement that next trip you intend to park....... Elsewhere.
Old 07-19-2011, 08:19 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
norcalrockhunter
What was the name of the park ?
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 09:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
norcalrockhunter
What was the name of the park ?
I would perfer to send you the info privately
I tried to send you a PM butit bounced back
Old 07-19-2011, 10:09 PM   #6

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
It's amazing how things can happen when you're simply trying to relax. Amazing time and sorry to hear, but glad your mother is alright. I feel a little as you do about posting the name of the campground; however, there is another part of me that says that you may be doing others a favor - so they have an enjoyable time. Hope your next camping trip is a joy!
Old 07-19-2011, 10:15 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalrockhunter View Post
I would perfer to send you the info privately
I tried to send you a PM butit bounced back
chsanford@aol.com
Old 07-19-2011, 10:18 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunlapml View Post
It's amazing how things can happen when you're simply trying to relax. Amazing time and sorry to hear, but glad your mother is alright. I feel a little as you do about posting the name of the campground; however, there is another part of me that says that you may be doing others a favor - so they have an enjoyable time. Hope your next camping trip is a joy!
I too some what feel the same way about helping others out, but negitve input should be left to PMing I do not to bash people or places, I do not think is proper,
anyone is welcome to ask where this CG is and I will PM them
this is just my opinion please do not take offense to it
Old 07-19-2011, 10:41 PM   #9

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalrockhunter View Post
I too some what feel the same way about helping others out, but negitve input should be left to PMing I do not to bash people or places, I do not think is proper,
anyone is welcome to ask where this CG is and I will PM them
this is just my opinion please do not take offense to it
The question I wrestle with is are you 'bashing' someone or simply stating facts. It's a tough one.
Old 07-19-2011, 11:30 PM   #10

There are lots of perspectives that come into play here, and I can see more than one side to this story and my experience says there are usually three sides. Side A, Side B and the truth.

First - I hope your mom is ok, the lip heals and the bruise heals quick.

The campground people sound pretty typical in that the left hand doesn't speak to the right, and it sounds like there is douchebaggery onsite for sure. Lady driving around doesn't talk to the office or vice versa etc.. They also sound like uncaring nasty people

That said- it also sounds like you have some of your own issues with organization and a string of bad luck.

I hope it works out much better for you on your next trip.

Respectfully,

Uncle Dave
Uncle Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 11:42 PM   #11

Freightliner Owners Club
norcalrockhunter----I would like to know the name of the camp to avoid it. I think you and I are in the same neck of the woods norcal. please send me a pm thanks for you input better luck on next trip. thanks
Old 07-20-2011, 08:04 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by autofish View Post
norcalrockhunter----I would like to know the name of the camp to avoid it. I think you and I are in the same neck of the woods norcal. please send me a pm thanks for you input better luck on next trip. thanks
I tried that to get him to name the park and even gave him my e mail in a previous post. Nothing. Could this be the Wayward Traveler again ?
Old 07-20-2011, 09:58 PM   #13

It is a little disingenous to discuss all the things wrong with a business and not name that property. It adds credibility to your account if the place is named. If for no other reason, you are saving others from having a less than great experience by avoiding the campground. If you want to pm me that is fine. Why even bother telling the story if you are not going to tell the location? It does not make sense.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:23 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
I tried that to get him to name the park and even gave him my e mail in a previous post. Nothing. Could this be the Wayward Traveler again ?
I'm sending u the info now, I do work for a living, for me it was just easier to PM you the info as we are both on the same site, but it seems you prefer not to accept PM's
A Wayward Traveler?
sure quick to judge

Tags
camping