Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-18-2005, 01:14 PM   #15

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WWFan:
Howie:

While I was up one Thanksgiving with Moski's family in Monterey, one guy that 'Mom' had got her firework from was charging $250/ 1/2chord. I decided that it was a deal, so I took the truck the next year, loaded it up with a 1/2 chord, took it home, and I couldn't get the damm stuff to burn to save my soul!

Don't have a fireplace anymore...darn thing now is a Natural Gas fireplace (for those cold nights!).

I'd put in a real fireplace if I could find Oak @ $125/chord! Nat Gas is going to be reeeeaaallll expensive here real soon!

And Mikey...other than what they call a dog's fur, have you ever seen a 'coat'? I went online to see what they were...
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Sean,

I've built 3 homes here and in every one I heated them with wood in the winter.
Always been able to cut wood from my own property, but the house we're in now,
we had the contractor install a wood burning stove in the fireplace. Fortunately, I
manage to find free firewood.... here and there. I even burn redwood!

This winter is going to be a rough year for so many folks who have to use fuel oil
to heat their homes. The only good news is that propane is still cheaper than diesel

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2005, 04:47 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Oh heck,
Just for kicks: Courtesy Firewood Center

A rick, rack or face cord is only a part of a cord of wood. (A cord of wood is 128 cubic feet)

A rick or rack is the amount of firewood stacked by 4' by 8' by one row of the length of the stick.

A face cord is also one row of 4' by 8'. But the difference is a face cord has lengths of sticks that will eventually add up to 4' when stacked in two, three, or four rows.
Example of a face cord:
Four rows of 12" sticks=4'
Three rows of 16"=4'
Two rows of 24"=4'
Therefore, purchasing a face cord of 12" lengths is actually only cord. A face cord of 16" lengths=1/3 cord and a face cord of 24" lengths is a cord.

This is very confusing and deceiving to most and using these terms in offering sales or advertising for sale is prohibited in most states.

Ricks, Racks, Face Cords are not the same quanity or volume as a cord of measurement.

Best to all, have fun!!!!

ruppr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 05:18 PM   #17

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
Now we're getting somewhere ...
thanks Bob!! good stuff
now Tom, how wide is your rick?
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 05:49 PM   #18

Yeah Bob & Kristi!!! Thanks!! Tha'ts just about as good of explanation as I've ever seen!

And Tom...time to ante up with your rick's width...you're on the hook now! (Dang- I bet he's already left). While you're at it, I wanna know the weight also!

Sean
Old 10-18-2005, 06:52 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">A cord is 128 cubic feet of wood stacked tightly. This is typically stacked 4' high by 4' wide by 8' long (4X4X8). (FYI reference: typical full size pick-up, bed level, will hold cord or one rick) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Well. this is about as good as it gets.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">A rick or rack is the amount of firewood stacked by 4' by 8' by one row of the length of the stick.

A face cord is also one row of 4' by 8'. But the difference is a face cord has lengths of sticks that will eventually add up to 4' when stacked in two, three, or four rows.
Example of a face cord:
Four rows of 12" sticks=4'
Three rows of 16"=4'
Two rows of 24"=4'
Therefore, purchasing a face cord of 12" lengths is actually only cord. A face cord of 16" lengths=1/3 cord and a face cord of 24" lengths is a cord. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now, what more do you need. I think I told you that I had a bedfull so what part of a "bedfull" don't you understand???

Jeese, and no, you don't get any weight and my width is what I happen to cut it. What my truck weighs fully loaded with all my wood, WW in tow with Jeep loaded, and all my "antifreeze" onboard is my business and.....What was the question again? I don't have a long attention span and I think I ran out.

WWFan...Its all your fault, I think...........
Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 07:02 PM   #20

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
little sensitive ehhh buddy??
well, i'm hopin' that we didn't get a row of 12" rick when we thought we were paying for 3 rows of 16" rick, ehhh Tommy??

but to be dagnab honest with you, it wouldn't matter one iota to us, Tom you are still one awesome guy,
lots of guys think they're getting a 1/4 cord and end up with a couple rows short,
just a little brew underneath the bridge far as we're concerned
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 07:35 PM   #21

Now Tom...if you're gonna get your panties all in a wand, I'm gonna send you to your room without any supper, and we'll talk about whether or not you get to go tomorrow, OK?

We're here to protect from those firewood mongers who try to give you a short-stack when ya dun ordered a full-stack- nuttin' more-nuttin' less (oppps...you cut yer own wood, dont cha? Opppps!!!!)

Hey...you go out with whatever wood ya got, and tell us fireside bedtime stories like we were there...deal?!

Too much fun...AGAIN!!!

Sean
Old 10-18-2005, 08:54 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">just a little brew underneath the bridge far as we're concerned </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Now Tom...if you're gonna get your panties all in a wand, I'm gonna send you to your room without any supper, and we'll talk about whether or not you get to go tomorrow, OK? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

FD...Brew being the operative word.

WWFan...Thats "wad" bud!

What am I to do with all of you? Kiss and keep I guess. Not literally, I hope you understand????.

You guys are more fun than a barrel of monkeys! Course, I wouldn't know anything about that anyway, and still don't!
Old 10-18-2005, 09:19 PM   #23

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">WWFan...Thats "wad" bud!

What am I to do with all of you? Kiss and keep I guess. Not literally, I hope you understand????. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yu know there Tommy...I'm justd gonnad have to hird you as my Spel chacker and THE-sar-is gerroo!!Whadda ya charg- I'm wiling to payu fr ur weakend!!

Oh gawd...you're too much fun...I think you're gonna have to just live with us, because, honestly, there's just not this much fun typing in my garage and pretending we're out havin' a few- you know what I mean, VERN?!

You're priceless!...and so are all the the hon-yocks here...we have some fun, don't we?!

Or...is that "dun,t wee?

You have fun this weekend, ya hear?! Don't worry 'bout us- we'll be fine!!

Sean
Old 10-19-2005, 08:31 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Oh gawd...you're too much fun...I think you're gonna have to just live with us, because, honestly, there's just not this much fun typing in my garage and pretending we're out havin' a few- you know what I mean, VERN?!

You're priceless!...and so are all the the hon-yocks here...we have some fun, don't we?! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>You got that right! life would sure be dull otherwise. And ditto on the rest of the gang here.
Old 10-30-2005, 05:17 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
We're back! Wood all burned and more cut, 2 deer at the processors, about 240 lbs worth. No broken body parts, All equipment back in one piece. All in all, a successful trip to the woods. NOW, if I didn't have to go back to work...!
Old 10-30-2005, 05:22 PM   #26

Tom,

Glad to see you back in one piece. Sounds like it was a great time.

Clark

2005 F350 PSD CC DRW Tow Boss
C.CARNEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 07:56 PM   #27

Welcome home Tom... Glad you had a successful trip. Mmmmm....I love venison.

Wes
high desert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 08:26 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">NOW, if I didn't have to go back to work. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Hey, thanks guy's. Since my remark earlier, had to go back on the road and just got back home. Man, work sucks. But, it pays the bills. And, the venison should be ready to pick up any day now.