Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-23-2006, 03:38 PM   #1

Since I'm of that ripe old age where the 'ol eyes not only need glasses to see, but alot of light also, I've added a couple more lights to the basement:

The above pic only shows one of the lights I'm adding- there will be another on the driver's side, so my wiring is not done yet (I still have to cleanup the wire routing and such). I also have to run a 12v line over to the other door so I can operate the 3rd light separately from the curbside access door.

And of course, I don't know how many of you WW owners have already busted the POS plastic switch they install on the bottom edge of the access door, but I did mine about the 1st or 2nd time I slammed the door. Sooooo....I have added a reed switch:

...which is like an alarm switch- for non-contact switching, but it doesn't like anything over a 1/2amp, so I've have to also add a relay to do the actual circuit switching:

So far, everything was working fine- like a champ- until I added the 2nd light to the circuit last night, then the reed switch got hot and obviously melted it's contacts together. So I'm suspecting I've got the relay wiring wrong, but can't seem to find ANYTHING online that will definitely tell me how to wire this 5 lead relay (I cudda sworn the guy at the electronics store had a pocket protector on, but obviously he's a rookie ).

Here's my current setup:

(Howie's gonna be soooo proud of me...look at all the labels! ).

Can someone tell me if I've got the wiring correct? On a scale of 1 to 10, right now I feel like a 2 with 12volt wiring (only because I attempted it!). That diagram on the relay itself just looks like Indian drawings on a cave wall to me- it might as well be Hebrew.

Once I get this one side done, I've got the other to do- I've already've gone through two of these reed switches and can't afford to burn anymore up (otherwise I'd just keep plugging on- heck...with 5 leads there's only 25 different ways to hook it up, right? ).

Thanks for the help!

Sean

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2006, 03:38 PM   #2

Since I'm of that ripe old age where the 'ol eyes not only need glasses to see, but alot of light also, I've added a couple more lights to the basement:

The above pic only shows one of the lights I'm adding- there will be another on the driver's side, so my wiring is not done yet (I still have to cleanup the wire routing and such). I also have to run a 12v line over to the other door so I can operate the 3rd light separately from the curbside access door.

And of course, I don't know how many of you WW owners have already busted the POS plastic switch they install on the bottom edge of the access door, but I did mine about the 1st or 2nd time I slammed the door. Sooooo....I have added a reed switch:

...which is like an alarm switch- for non-contact switching, but it doesn't like anything over a 1/2amp, so I've have to also add a relay to do the actual circuit switching:

So far, everything was working fine- like a champ- until I added the 2nd light to the circuit last night, then the reed switch got hot and obviously melted it's contacts together. So I'm suspecting I've got the relay wiring wrong, but can't seem to find ANYTHING online that will definitely tell me how to wire this 5 lead relay (I cudda sworn the guy at the electronics store had a pocket protector on, but obviously he's a rookie ).

Here's my current setup:

(Howie's gonna be soooo proud of me...look at all the labels! ).

Can someone tell me if I've got the wiring correct? On a scale of 1 to 10, right now I feel like a 2 with 12volt wiring (only because I attempted it!). That diagram on the relay itself just looks like Indian drawings on a cave wall to me- it might as well be Hebrew.

Once I get this one side done, I've got the other to do- I've already've gone through two of these reed switches and can't afford to burn anymore up (otherwise I'd just keep plugging on- heck...with 5 leads there's only 25 different ways to hook it up, right? ).

Thanks for the help!

Sean

Old 04-23-2006, 05:19 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Sean, you may want to concider using LED fixtures as they draw much less power and will last longer but it you still want to use what you have the following will help with the relay wiring.
Regular relay: (SPST) Normally-open
A relay is used to get a high amp load to work with a low amp switch. It does this by pulling in a magnetic coil. The pins 85 & 86 is the electro magnetic coil wires. Pin 30 is the high amp feed wire. Pin 87 is what your trying to get the high amp feed too control. Pin 87a is not used. Good luck.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 06:09 PM   #4

Mike:

You know...when I posted this thread, I was hoping you'd see it!

So does it look like my wiring is correct? The white "12v source" wires are hooked to 30 & 85, and the Black (12v +?) is going directly to the COM(mon) port on the reed switch.

Thos LED's are a great idea...I've looked at them and didn't even think to use them in this application- maybe that would eliminate the relay and my wiring issue?

Thanks!

Sean
Old 04-24-2006, 01:05 AM   #5
Community Moderator

Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Sean, your wiring, from what I can tell from the photo, is not exactly right. You want the reed switch to only carry the current to operate the relay coil. 12 + to reed switch then to 85. 86 will be ground. Your 12 + will go to 30 and 87 or 87a to the light fixture depending on how you wire the reed switch. I hope this is a little clearer. I wish I had an easy way to draw it out for you. The LED's would eliminate the need for the relays and will conserve on battery drain.
Old 04-24-2006, 02:12 AM   #6

Here is an explanation of relays the12volt.com. Also some other good info about 12 volt electrical items

Curt

2003 PT Cruiser
Curtis F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 03:38 AM   #7
Community Moderator

Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Curt, This is perfect. Thank you. We are glad to have you join us here and look forward to your help. Enjoy!
Old 04-24-2006, 05:18 AM   #8

Sean; you might owe the guy at Radio Shack a mental apology! Electronics is as easy as drinking coffee, but only if you understand it. Thanks to Mike and Curt for their input; that should take all of the mystery out of your wiring job. The nice thing about 12 volts is you won't get zapped, but you might have to replace some fuses until you get it right. The LED's sounds like a good approach; anybody know what the current draw might be for an LED that would put out a comparable amount of light? Good luck with wrapping up your project.
Old 04-24-2006, 06:33 AM   #9

Gosh...Thanks Guys! Curtis- that's a great site- bookmarked it up on the top of my Favorites!

Off to see what I can find out about LEDs....does anyone have a place they've used and have decent prices? From what I've seen in the past there's a pretty good diversity of pricing out there (as well as quality).

Thanks again!

Sean
Old 04-24-2006, 09:33 AM   #10

Alrighty then...I think the lightbulb just went off in my head...let's see what you guys think about this:

Basically, the reed switch- when the door is opened and its contacts are closed, supplies 12+ to 85 (86 is 12-). Once the relay coil is energized, power is output to 30 and 87, which are hooked up to the lights.

Correct? Hey thanks!
Old 04-24-2006, 11:34 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
The input driving the relay looks good, but the output needs tweaked a bit.

If the reed switch is set up so that when the door closes, the NC contacts close, then you should supply +12vdc to the com terminal of the switch, and connect the NC contact to the relay pin 85 just like you have it drawn.

Pin 86 of the relay gets grounded (or 12V-)
Pin 30 of the relay (input power) should connect to +12vdc and pin 87a connects to your light. The other lead of the light gets grounded.

With that wiring, when the reed switch closes, 12vdc flows through the coil of the relay to ground energising the relay. When the relay is energised, current supplied through pin 30 flows through the relay, out pin 87a and then through the lamp. The lamps current flows to ground or the -12vdc return instead of back to 87 the way you have it drawn
Old 04-24-2006, 12:56 PM   #12

Joe:

Thanks much...does this look better?
Old 04-24-2006, 01:08 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WWFan:
Joe:

Thanks much...does this look better?
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gettin Closer... I wish I could do those fancy drawings

The +12 vdc relay feed (pin 30) should come straight from a 12 volt source instead of being connected to pin 85. The way it is, you're drawing current through the reed switch.

The light being connected to 87a is correct and the other end of the light grounded together with pin 86 of the relay is OK.

You just need to feed +12 independantly to pin 30. On the schematic, you could draw pin 30 connected to the com terminal of the reed switch would do it.
Old 04-24-2006, 01:17 PM   #14

Ahhhhh!!!!! You mean like this!!

Photoshop is a great tool...it's just too bad Abode wants everything THEIR way...it is alot different than a Microsoft app, but it is VERY powerful program...

Thanks for the help Joe...this last issue was exactly what was burning out my reed switches!