Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-20-2005, 07:20 PM   #1

Hey guys-
Rod's upstairs playing his new pinball machine, but tomorrow is the last possible day to change the siding order on the le3505 and he still isn't 100% on which way he wants to go (gel vs aluminum). So of course I am doing the research on the issue. It sounds like almost everyone thinks the gel coat is the way to go, but I have read some talk about delamination. What's WW's history with this problem? Also, will we be ok with the weight issue (Rod says no problem, but I'm the one that worries . Thanks for the last minute insight...sorry to bring it up again.
xoxoxo,
Deb
(Rod's wife)

WW LE3505
melon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2005, 07:20 PM   #2

Hey guys-
Rod's upstairs playing his new pinball machine, but tomorrow is the last possible day to change the siding order on the le3505 and he still isn't 100% on which way he wants to go (gel vs aluminum). So of course I am doing the research on the issue. It sounds like almost everyone thinks the gel coat is the way to go, but I have read some talk about delamination. What's WW's history with this problem? Also, will we be ok with the weight issue (Rod says no problem, but I'm the one that worries . Thanks for the last minute insight...sorry to bring it up again.
xoxoxo,
Deb
(Rod's wife)

WW LE3505
Old 06-20-2005, 07:30 PM   #3

Ahh....Rod's Wife! (Boy guys...we gottem now!!)

Deb! Glad you could join us! Throw the delam issue right outta the window with WW (you've been reading hallet's Fleetwood delam/buyback post, haven't 'cha?!).

Seriously, GO GELCOAT...he could play pinball against IT these days, and you'd be OK. Slicker than frog's hair in the wind, and when you make him wash and wax it, he'll be glad you gave him the thumbs up. Trust me (I've been there!).

Any questions...call!

xoxoxoxo

Sean
WWFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 07:37 PM   #4

Thanks Sean - I know you're gel coat's biggest fan. You're words of wisdom do put my mind at ease. So you don't think the added weight will be an issue?

Deb

WW LE3505
Old 06-20-2005, 07:50 PM   #5

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by melon:
Thanks Sean - I know you're gel coat's biggest fan. You're words of wisdom do put my mind at ease. So you don't think the added weight will be an issue?Deb </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Deb,

We've had our new 06 since April 23rd and taken on two trips already. I finally washed it
this weekend.

I will never... ever own an aluminum sided rig
again.

This WW is the first we have had with fiberglass
and we've had many aluminum sided rigs.
Go for the fiberglass.

WW has a lifetime warrenty on stucture, so
I don't think the delam issue is any worry.

We had the rig up in Mammoth when the night time
temps got down to 27ยบ I think the fiberglass
does a better job of insulating.

Denting aluminum is so easy to do... lean on
it and it will dent. Ya can't dent fiberglass!

Good luck,

Howie

Previous Rig: 2012 Itasca 30'
56Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 07:51 PM   #6

Hi Melon and Deb and WWFan. Been out of pocket the last few days. Boy if you don't keep up with things around here you can get behind the power ball real quick. Melon, Deb, I went with the gel coat. Sure it costs more and it's heavier but it sure looks nicer and is allot more durable. Drop a golf ball from Melon's height into your fiberglass bathtub and nothing happens. That's why they make boats out of it. Now drink a soda and lay the can on its side out in the garage. Aim carefully and drop the golf ball. See the nice dent. That's just one reason for fiberglass. My motto I won't dent it because its mine. It's my drunken friends that will... Go fiberglass

Griz

06 LE 3505
Grizwald2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 07:58 PM   #7

Do you see what I have to live with on a daily basis? You think this is bad, try buying a house with her. But seriously, if I didn't have her voice of reason, I would be living in a van down by the river!! Not a WW van either.

Now if someone could convince her that the weight is not an issue, we could move forward

WW LE3505
Old 06-20-2005, 08:03 PM   #8

Deb,

One more fan of fiberglass. My last 2 trailers were also aluminum. As Howie stated, I will NEVER EVER go aluminum again. The weight issue is really nothing. Durability and looks with fiberglass is the best things about it. You won't go wrong!!!!

Clark

2005 F350 PSD CC DRW Tow Boss
C.CARNEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 08:03 PM   #9

Ok it's me again...I've managed to get Rod off the seat so I could say thanks very much for the great input. Now if I could just get reassurance on the weight thing...
You guys are the best.
xoxoxo,
Deb

WW LE3505
Old 06-20-2005, 08:05 PM   #10

Clark-
Thank you for the nod on the weight. I feel better already.

WW LE3505
Old 06-20-2005, 08:06 PM   #11

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by melon:
Do you see what I have to live with on a daily basis? You think this is bad, try buying a house with her. But seriously, if I didn't have her voice of reason, I would be living in a van down by the river!! Not a WW van either.

Now if someone could convince her that the weight is not an issue, we could move forward </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Rod,

With your truck......
02 F250 SD Diesel 4x4, 6.5 lift, Banks ex, K&N, Edge progrmr

weight should not be an issue.

You should be able to beat the pants off my
stock Duramax

Previous Rig: 2012 Itasca 30'
56Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 08:07 PM   #12

I here its 1000 to 1200 lbs but I'm not sure. I figure its distributed throughout the whole length of the TH so its not like adding a 1000lbs to one spot foward or back. I know your truck will pull it with ease. Unless you have a jeep or corvette you haul you will be fine. You will be just like me. A quad or two won't overload you.

Griz

06 LE 3505
Grizwald2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 08:10 PM   #13

Now Deb, just how did you figger that? Just because I had a fiberglass rippled siding and had to wash/wax (ooppss...that's a lie- twice- that's all it took), would you ever know that I'm the believer?

I almost wished my 1995 had a alum siding (at least I could re-paint it), but when you get into that corrugated effect, then I don't care WHAT the material is (can I wish for titinium?).

...Imagine poor 'ol Rod out there, slaving over making sure your newfound (well- at least a few years into it) hauler is shinier than the rest, and you're concerned over the hard work he's going through but want to save those few measy bucks, you hand him the electric buffer. Auugghh! It's an aluminum side! Auggghh! No workie- he's relished to his worn out hands from working all day in the sun- they are, well, at their last movement at this point....poor fella. At the last panel, he drops to the cement with sweat dipping off his forehead, hands all numb from the Prop 65 compound- thinking of his 'loved one'- he's now a statistic of the bleeding hearts all over the WWW who wudda wished their loved one conceeded to the $3000 option...it's just a sad story that not many RV publications have the audacidy to print (imagine that).

...Remember to tell you the next bedtime story about Permaplate...tomorrow night's not too late, though...we've got some time.
Old 06-20-2005, 08:23 PM   #14

Wow...I musta taken quite bit 'o time to read you your June 20th bedtime story...

Well..now that everyone's chimed in, what'sit gonna be?

(Rod...did we do good or did we do good?!).