Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-11-2006, 07:14 PM   #1

Boy oh boy...and before anyone says the word "search" (which I've already done in a fanatical way for the last 2 hours- both Google and an internal search here on iRV2), I'm finding alot of different data on what LED bulb to replace the vast numbers of 1141's in our coach. I do know that they're out there and they can save a whole bunch of power in the process, but am a little hesitant to order 2 bazillion of them only to find they are not suffice to the 1141's output of light.

My searches have turned up alot of posts about replacing the tail/brake/marker lights, but I'm primarily concerned with the inside lights, AND WHO HAS ALREADY DONE THIS. Of course, this being a free society, all forms of info will be accepted.

Oh....BTW...I have already purused these sites:

http://autolumination.com/
http://www.superbrightleds.com/led_prods.htm
http://www.lightlens.com/coloredbulbs.htm

Thanks!

Sean
WWFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2006, 07:14 PM   #2

Boy oh boy...and before anyone says the word "search" (which I've already done in a fanatical way for the last 2 hours- both Google and an internal search here on iRV2), I'm finding alot of different data on what LED bulb to replace the vast numbers of 1141's in our coach. I do know that they're out there and they can save a whole bunch of power in the process, but am a little hesitant to order 2 bazillion of them only to find they are not suffice to the 1141's output of light.

My searches have turned up alot of posts about replacing the tail/brake/marker lights, but I'm primarily concerned with the inside lights, AND WHO HAS ALREADY DONE THIS. Of course, this being a free society, all forms of info will be accepted.

Oh....BTW...I have already purused these sites:

http://autolumination.com/
http://www.superbrightleds.com/led_prods.htm

Thanks!

Sean
Old 08-11-2006, 09:24 PM   #3

Hi Sean,

I haven't replaced mine with LED's, but I've been thinking of doing it.

My lenses are already showing some heat damage and I thought LED's would be the perfect solution.

I'll be watching this thread.

Wes
high desert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 04:34 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Sean, be the pig ( guinea, that is) and buy enough for a light or two then you'll know for sure how they work and can tell us. That way we'll have first hand knowledge.
Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 09:06 AM   #5

Sean...buy the bazillion that way if they work out there will be plenty left over for the rest of us.
dieseldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 04:44 PM   #6

I've used LED lighting around the house a couple of times and reverted back to incandescent bulbs or fluorescent. LED's don't defuse light enough. I needed to be directly underneath one to read.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 08:56 PM   #7

Sean, I was wondering when this topic would come up. I'm game. Went camping last year with a friend of the BIL. Guy had Led's in every other light inside the TH. I thought they were awesome. If you want it bright as the sun you still need some old style but for general illum they worked great. He gave me one that he uses in his bathroom for one half of the light fixture as a night light. I love it. Leave it on all weekend. Haven't tripped down the stairs since. You have 3 weeks to figure this out for us old friend because I want in on this one.

Griz

06 LE 3505
Grizwald2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 09:24 PM   #8

Hey Buddy!

Well...the overall response is not that great...but you say your buddy did every OTHER light? Now that may save a few watts...you know, when I get into OUR coach, I find that half the lights are off anyway, and as long as I'm not trying to read something, like ANYTHING, I'm good to go (as long as I've got a flashlight that I can see to find, with my glasses!). You know...for the Captain of the Ship, I put up with an ungawdly amount of compromise when it comes to being able to see stuff. Those around the halfway mark of a century know what I'm talkin' about (like Ray says!).

Hey..you take care, and keep your POS shampoo/hairgel/toothpaste in Iraq...I'm sure it's not even good enough to give our dogs a bath in, OK? And knowing you, you've prolly got a good muslim dialect/voicetone going on, so you're sure to spook the TSA guys at the airport.
Old 08-12-2006, 09:53 PM   #9

There looking at it from the wrong perspective. It's not total light replacement. It's light enhancement. Maybe we should approach it as mood lights. I'll I know is I like em and unless I want to read a book their is plenty of light to see what your doing and most of the time I'm out drinking in the sand anyway. I only have to have enough light to make a drink and these take one of the steps out....I don't have to turn a light on and off. Just leave em on.

Don

06 LE 3505
Grizwald2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 09:49 AM   #10

Why not put leds in the main lights and save the lights over the kitchen counter and reading lights for the regular bulbs. I find that its usully the main lights that are not used for reading are the ones left on most of the time. I would think as well that even though led's are not as bright you may get used to them kinda like your eyes adjusting to outside when its dark.
Socal camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 05:04 PM   #11

Donno:

I think you're right...most I see out there is agmentation- not replacement. I was hoping that in this age of good rocket science and iPods, SOMEONE would have cracked the code on getting a LED that has enough brightness to it...

And SoCal: our WW's already have mood lighting...albeit smaller light bulbs...one of these days when I have just nothing better to do (sorta like Howie- WHEN he's home ), I might look into putting some LED lightbars around the "joint".

Thanks all for the "enlightenment"!
Old 08-17-2006, 11:21 PM   #12

Anyone,
With my medical problems I find sleep elusive and frequently read a book until sleep overcomes me. This means the "bullet" style reading light remains on. Even with the lowest usable amperage incandescent bulb installed the fixture gets very hot. Replacing with LED seems a good option, but I hesitate to pay $10+shipping to try one bulb without prior experience. Any advice from someone who has done this swap would be appreciated. Thanks, Jim
Old 08-18-2006, 04:28 AM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club

1156jw
look like they may work i am ordering 1 pair NOW
i will be the guinea piglet oink oink
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 07:33 AM   #14

Sean, I am currently working on this as it's an option I would like to sell. Will keep you guys posted!