Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-20-2012, 05:44 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Smile Okay, who's right?

Okay, my husband and I need your help to settle our dispute.

We're looking at fifthwheel toyhaulers - specifically, 39 and 40 footers - Fuzion's, Raptors, etc. We'll be purchasing a one ton truck - and we're looking at the GMC 3500. According to the specs, I say we need a diesel DUALLY. The husband wants a 3500 diesel that's NOT a dually. The specs say it would tow around 16,000 - and the dually would tow around 22,000. I'm thinking we'll easily hit 16,500 to 18,000 pounds with the fifthwheel loaded - golf cart, bikes, etc. Is it possible to tow with the truck that's NOT a dually?

Okay, who's right?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2012, 05:55 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Born2RV,
You are both right. Can a single set of rear tires haul a 5ver? Yep. However, weight wins this debate. Determine which coach you will buy first. Then you can get the gross weight rating of the coach. Since almost all coaches run close to gross weight rating (after loaded with your stuff), figure your tow vehicle on that weight rating.

How about a Newmar Canyon Star motor coach toy hauler floor plan? Go to Motorhomes By Newmar Corp | Canyon Star Floorplans and read about it. The model is 3920.

Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 07:02 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I am pretty sure with that much trailer, you will need a diesel dually. If hubby does not want to drive a dually, you need to set your sights a bit lower and look for a trailer within the tow range of a single rear wheel truck.

Do not go by the fictitious "tow ratings" of the truck manufacturers. They are absolute maximums and have a foot note to not exceed any of the trucks ratings such as GCWR, GAWR or GVWR. You need to study and understand all of the towing terms and tow ratings.

Ken
Old 02-20-2012, 07:09 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
My parents recently purchased a 40" Raptor. After weeks of research he decided to go with the FORD F450 Dually. He was worried about all of the "extra weight" that would be carried to go with the toys in back. He seems very happy with his choice.
Old 02-20-2012, 07:09 PM   #5

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Actually I think you'd be better off with an MDT (Medium Duty Truck) with at least a CAT 3126 and Allison 3000 or so.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 07:14 PM   #6

Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
KZ RV Club
You will most likely need a dually to handle the pin weight and although diesel isn't necessary it is a good idea. I have a one ton GMC dually with the duramax/allison set up and it pulls like a champ.
Old 02-21-2012, 12:57 PM   #7

Excel Owners Club
You will be surprised how fast the weight will add up with a toyhauler.
If you have to use a 3500/350/450 Dually...consider a disk brake option for the trailer. I wouldn't even consider a single wheel for a 40ft toyhauler. JMHO.
RickS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 01:59 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickS View Post
You will be surprised how fast the weight will add up with a toyhauler.
If you have to use a 3500/350/450 Dually...consider a disk brake option for the trailer. I wouldn't even consider a single wheel for a 40ft toyhauler. JMHO.

2X on that. If you want good millage, safe driving then a diesel/dually is the way to go. Put 14,000 or more on a single wheel and watch his knuckles turn white 10 minutes down the road. Have a rear blowout doing 65 with a single wheel and the fun starts.

I'm pulling a 14,700 lb 5th with my F-350 diesel/dually with air bags and believe me I know it's back there. I wish I had a Peterbuilt or Volvo....
Old 02-25-2012, 08:43 AM   #9

I have towed race cars,horses, boats and now toys in some pretty scary trailers and some really nice trailers, and I believe that dually's are 1 of the best myths put out by the auto industry, In my million + miles I had 1 dually and we had more tire problems,more fender problems (operator malfuntion) and more white knucks than all my long bed trucks. Semi's use super singles for a reason. I can go through a car wash go through mus and snow much better and with the right rear tires tow just as much as any dually. After all the rear axle and springs are the same in a 1 ton dually or single.
Fred P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 11:11 AM   #10

Excel Owners Club
Fred,

Well...we can agree to disagree. I have had three dually's and one single wheel for towing trailers. Well, four if you count the Freightliner MDT. I went to the dually's after some hair raising experiences in the mountains and strong wind blowing the 3500 single wheel truck all over the road....white knuckle rides for sure. I agee the single wheel is better for snow when riding empty. That's why I recommend 4x4 dually's only to my friends. Most duallys will be close to their max GVWR with toy haulers. Most single wheel trucks will be over their GVWR. My new TH was over the GVWR rating of the GM and Ford duallys so thats why I went to a Freightliner. Be safe out there. Your insurance company will make it very hard for you to cover a over loaded truck if you have any problems. Glad you haven't had any problems in the past.
RickS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 11:48 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred P View Post
I have towed race cars,horses, boats and now toys in some pretty scary trailers and some really nice trailers, and I believe that dually's are 1 of the best myths put out by the auto industry, In my million + miles I had 1 dually and we had more tire problems,more fender problems (operator malfuntion) and more white knucks than all my long bed trucks. Semi's use super singles for a reason. I can go through a car wash go through mus and snow much better and with the right rear tires tow just as much as any dually. After all the rear axle and springs are the same in a 1 ton dually or single.
But, you weren't towing a 16k - 18k 5th wheel and if you were you were seriously over weight and asking for problems. 4 tires are much more stable and will hold more weight than 2 and that is just common sense.
Old 02-25-2012, 12:09 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickS View Post
Fred,

Well...we can agree to disagree. I have had three dually's and one single wheel for towing trailers. Well, four if you count the Freightliner MDT. I went to the dually's after some hair raising experiences in the mountains and strong wind blowing the 3500 single wheel truck all over the road....white knuckle rides for sure. I agee the single wheel is better for snow when riding empty. That's why I recommend 4x4 dually's only to my friends. Most duallys will be close to their max GVWR with toy haulers. Most single wheel trucks will be over their GVWR. My new TH was over the GVWR rating of the GM and Ford duallys so thats why I went to a Freightliner. Be safe out there. Your insurance company will make it very hard for you to cover a over loaded truck if you have any problems. Glad you haven't had any problems in the past.
X2...I think you covered it pretty darn well!

2012 Tiffin Allegro 34TGA
2013 Jeep Wrangler Sport
woodburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 06:26 PM   #13

I bought a new 36' Raptor in 2005 an celebrated when I got rid of it ( What a pile ! ) Anyway I trade it in on a new 4012 Inferno in 2008 and have'nt had one single problem !!!!! Tow it w/ a 97' Ram CTD 3500 and it tows like a dream ! Definitley go w/ a dually, But most importantly I put Rickson 19.5 wheels and run commercial Michelin tires
Old 02-26-2012, 10:38 AM   #14

Mid Atlantic Campers
Towed our 2008 CrossRoads Cross Terrain 38 foot toy hauler with two slides all over the east coast with our 2005 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD single rear wheel. Not sure how it is now but at that time, the dual wheel trucks had a little over 100 less pound rating on the rear axles due to having all the extra stuff that comes along with having dual wheels. Our truck was actually rated just slightly higher than the dual wheel truck of the same configuration. We just traded that trailer in two weeks ago. Truck towed that trailer no problem. That truck was also my daily driver. Truck and trailer where weighed and up until the close to the time we stopped using it, we were within weight. Towards the end, my trackside business grew quick and we started carrying more stuff that was adding more weight. Trailer was 17,400 pounds fully loaded.

CrazyTed is offline   Reply With Quote