RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-14-2018, 03:51 PM   #1

Onan Generatorrs

Hi, I'm looking at buying an 09 Toy Hauler that seems a fair deal. Only problem Im told so far is the Onan Genset. Im told he doesn't know how many hours but that it only runs if you spray starter fluid in the carb. He says something bout a fuel pump but to me this sounds like it could just be bad gas if he didn't use Rec90(or just plain old gas).
It gets its fuel from the 36 gallon toy supply in the rear but I don't know how these Toy Haulers are plumbed for fuel. Is there a separate low pressure pick up pump for the Genset and then the carb provides further suction? Any ideas? is this a regular Onan genset issues?

thanks for any advice.

KeysHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2018, 04:06 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The model would help. Onan genset are very reliable. My fuel pump and filter are right where the fuel line enters the genset. I found how to test the fuel pump on line and also how to use fresh gas out of a can. When mine was about 15 years old the rubber fuel line leading into the fuel filter collapsed - so I tested the fuel and fuel pump and determined the rubber line was at fault. It was a $2 NAPA fix.
I'm guessing it was not run often - they need to run 1/2 to 1 hour every month.
If it runs smooth on starter fluid (use WD40 instead of starter fluid) I'd lean toward bad gas. But, only way to tell is to work on it. Lots of T/S ideas on the internet.

tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 08:44 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwalt View Post
The model would help. Onan genset are very reliable. My fuel pump and filter are right where the fuel line enters the genset. I found how to test the fuel pump on line and also how to use fresh gas out of a can. When mine was about 15 years old the rubber fuel line leading into the fuel filter collapsed - so I tested the fuel and fuel pump and determined the rubber line was at fault. It was a $2 NAPA fix.
I'm guessing it was not run often - they need to run 1/2 to 1 hour every month.
If it runs smooth on starter fluid (use WD40 instead of starter fluid) I'd lean toward bad gas. But, only way to tell is to work on it. Lots of T/S ideas on the internet.
yup, my experience has shown malfunctions of this nature are due to bad gas and gumbed up air mixture circuits and choke circuits. Won't know the model to i get there I get there but hopefully it won't be too tough. Not having times on the Hobbes meter was a little concerning.. Guess worst case its a 3k repair..right??
Old 02-14-2018, 08:51 PM   #4
Member since 2005

Jayco Owners Club
Likely it's a gummed-up carb as said because it has sat for too long and it needs to be replaced as their is no rebuild kit. If it's an Onan 5500 we have done that twice, 30 minutes, $225.
Old 02-15-2018, 07:14 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Probably fouled carb from old gas. Should smell like varnish, check to make sure the choke is closed too.

Hold down the stop button on the generator until the light in switch comes on. Listen for a rapid clicking, that should be fuel pump. No clicking means your pump is probably bad.

Neither is a bad repair.
Corc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 07:44 AM   #6
Member since 2005

Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corc View Post
Probably fouled carb from old gas. Should smell like varnish, check to make sure the choke is closed too.

Hold down the stop button on the generator until the light in switch comes on. Listen for a rapid clicking, that should be fuel pump. No clicking means your pump is probably bad.

Neither is a bad repair.
You are correct. We almost forgot that we had to replace the fuel pump one time on our 5500 when we owned it. There was an issue with heat dissipating from the generator which is only air-cooled and causing the pump to stop.

Maybe $60 and 15 minutes?
Old 02-19-2018, 02:48 PM   #7

I too have had a problem at one time starting my Onan 5500. After easily removing the air filter, my choke was stuck closed as it wouldn't start after numerous crankings.
I moved the choke flap a bit to free it up and it started as normal.
To the other's points, bad gas, gummed up carb, stuck choke, etc will create problems.
Go on line and find the manual for the generator if you don't have one. It will identify the code process for reading and cancelling or clearing codes to restart.
Similar to priming, holding the off section of the flip switch for a few seconds will cancel issues
R2millers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 06:33 AM   #8

Thanks for all the feedback. Unfortunately the "excellent condition" TH that we went to potentially buy, except for the generator, was a total POS.
In fact, we've spent two weeks driving around Florida and cant find a decent 35-38' fifth TH thats not misrepresented whether they state excellent condition when its a POS or "thats just surface corrosion" when the undercarriage is severely corroded. Even better was the clown that changed the price after we drove 3 hrs.

Wish I was closer to the west coast where used toy haulers seems more abundant.
Old 02-21-2018, 12:21 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeysHauler View Post
its a POS or "thats just surface corrosion" when the undercarriage is severely corroded.

And no corrosion here. Salt? What’s that.
R2millers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 02:52 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2millers View Post
And no corrosion here. Salt? What’s that.
This was severe corrosion from road salt not just being close to the ocean. If I started to sandblast the undercarriage in or to coat the bottom to prevent further corrosion, not sure much would have been left. Ive looked at trailers here in Florida stored within 2 miles of the ocean and they weren't even close to what I found under this fairly new Road Warrior
Old 02-22-2018, 08:55 AM   #11

Quote:
Thanks for all the feedback. Unfortunately the "excellent condition" TH that we went to potentially buy, except for the generator, was a total POS.
In fact, we've spent two weeks driving around Florida and cant find a decent 35-38' fifth TH thats not misrepresented whether they state excellent condition when its a POS or "thats just surface corrosion" when the undercarriage is severely corroded. Even better was the clown that changed the price after we drove 3 hrs.

Sometimes the drive is worth it, I have seen a ton of toy haulers in AZ and CA that is in pretty close to mint condition for being used. Maybe a round trip plane ticket and rental car would be worth it to view a few? The price seems to be lower on the west coast from what I have seen. Good luck with your hunt!
24shofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 09:07 AM   #12
Member since 2005

Jayco Owners Club
Let us know if you find one in the Phoenix area and need an assessment.

We have purchased from the east coast sight unseen and "paid the price." Even so we got a really good deal and after bringing it out West sold it for $10k more 18 months later.
Old 02-23-2018, 06:51 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24shofast View Post
Sometimes the drive is worth it, I have seen a ton of toy haulers in AZ and CA that is in pretty close to mint condition for being used. Maybe a round trip plane ticket and rental car would be worth it to view a few? The price seems to be lower on the west coast from what I have seen. Good luck with your hunt!
Agree, we're from SoCal and the Toy Hauler community is huge out there and more inline with our lifestyle. We are dragging dirt bikes around yet every Toy Hauler we've checked out here in Florida was for Harleys or golf carts.
Even if I identify a TH on the west coast, dragging it back to Florida would be a chore.
Old 02-26-2018, 09:36 AM   #14

Quote:
Agree, we're from SoCal and the Toy Hauler community is huge out there and more inline with our lifestyle. We are dragging dirt bikes around yet every Toy Hauler we've checked out here in Florida was for Harleys or golf carts.
Even if I identify a TH on the west coast, dragging it back to Florida would be a chore.

You could always have it shipped, I'm sure you would be about $2,500 or so but with the time and effort it would seem to be a wash. I paid to have mine shipped just because I didn't want to deal with driving there and back. Just an idea.

24shofast is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, onan