Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-28-2005, 11:59 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Has anyone ever tried just partially dumping the black tank, like 5 gal at a time? My concern is getting the valve closed while things are running, if you get my drift. Sometimes when we boondock for a week or so it would be nice to do, but all we have is the pit toilets nearby to dump it in so a 5 gal bucket would be about it. Anyone tried it?

Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2005, 11:59 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Has anyone ever tried just partially dumping the black tank, like 5 gal at a time? My concern is getting the valve closed while things are running, if you get my drift. Sometimes when we boondock for a week or so it would be nice to do, but all we have is the pit toilets nearby to dump it in so a 5 gal bucket would be about it. Anyone tried it?

Old 06-28-2005, 12:53 PM   #3

Boy Tom:

That 'ol noggin of yours is really running, buddy! Even if it is in spurts! [yuck, yuck]

Seriously (if I could ever get back in that mode after reading your question a few times!) I think you'd be hard-pressed to get the valve to fully close correctly (in it's groove), and could have one heck of a mess on your hands. Now...if you had, say a 30 gallon tank, and 6 or 7 seven 5 gal buckets (and OMG...with sealable lids!) and you did the whole tank at once with just an oocasional close of the valves to change buckets, then I don't see an issue.

You crack me up, ya know?!

Sean
Old 06-28-2005, 12:59 PM   #4

On my original WW I only had a 12 gal black tank. I ended up buying an external blue tank to dump into that was I believe 15 gals. You can open and close but you will probally get something caught in the valve for one, and judging when to close the valve on time and still leave room for whats on the outlet side of the valve is tricky. It's gonna be a mess somewhere in the process. I hated dumping into the external tank, even though it would hold it all, it seemed like I still had a blockage causing a leak and smell until I dumped properly.

2005 F350 PSD CC DRW Tow Boss
C.CARNEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 02:07 PM   #5

Tom:

I'll second the second motion, making a third second motion- can anyone second the third motion?
Old 06-28-2005, 06:38 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Well, for Christ sake, thats why I asked if anyone had tried it. Thats also why I hadn't tried it yet, don't like messes like that. And, the third part of this is, since there is only pit toilets to dump it in you can't use anything except a 5 gal bucket. See, I was thinking sealed lid with intake connection and short hose but was really worried about the valve sealing off. Now I could install a second valve in the dump tube so I could close the black valve, then the other one.

You know, come to think of it, if I had a 75-100ft sewer hose I could probably make it to the toilet.

Where there's a will, there's a way.
Old 06-28-2005, 07:26 PM   #7

Well, I might as well jump into this "delicate" thread.

Tom, as far as I can surmise, it's only you and your beloved that take the WW out? If that's the case, I don't think you'll ever have to worry about dumping your black until you're outta there. We've been out in the boonies for over a week at a time with our family of five (four adults and one semi-adult)and we've never come close to "toppin' it off." We might have to beat it down with a stick (sorry about that visual) once in a blue moon but we always make it through. (Did I really say that?)
SandyFeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 07:26 PM   #8

If you are serious about the 75' or 100' sewer hose there is a way. I've seen a product you temporarlly attach to the end of your permanent black drain pipe. It's kind of like a blender/garbage disposal. To this device, you can use actual garden hose (hopefully dedicated to this use only ) stretch it out the distance you need and your liquified black stuff is gone.

2002 F-350 4X4 PSD CC DRW...
Burger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 07:33 PM   #9

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">We might have to beat it down with a stick (sorry about that visual) once in a blue moon but we always make it through. (Did I really say that?)

Sandy_Feet </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I think that you did.
Sandy, you are a one in a thousand !!

and Burger,
you have really done some research to come across a mechanism like that. I'd like to see more,
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 07:45 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">We might have to beat it down with a stick </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're right Sandy, that is kinda difficult to visualize, well maybe not.
Actually, this one time a year, we end up with 5 adults and two kids for 6 days so it gets kinda close, even with using the pits across the road during the day. Not to mention I have to tow over a hundred miles before I can dump the tank which is kind of hard on the tank when its that full.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> If you are serious about the 75' or 100' sewer hose there is a way. I've seen a product you temporarlly attach to the end of your permanent black drain pipe. It's kind of like a blender/garbage disposal. To this device, you can use actual garden hose (hopefully dedicated to this use only ) stretch it out the distance you need and your liquified black stuff is gone. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Burger, do you know where I can check this puppy out? Sounds interesting.
Old 06-28-2005, 08:26 PM   #11

I believe they have them at camping world. It's some kind of emacerator pump. I saw a guy with one at a campground and he told me he could empty his black tank through a garden hose.

Clark

2005 F350 PSD CC DRW Tow Boss
C.CARNEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 08:28 PM   #12

I don't know what to say to this one, except that this is the strangest thread I have ever seen. Thank you for the laugh. I needed that tonight.

Rod

WW LE3505
melon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 08:56 PM   #13

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

You know, come to think of it, if I had a 75-100ft sewer hose I could probably make it to the toilet.

Where there's a will, there's a way. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now Tommy:

There ya go! Never thought about that option, but what the he!!. You could really go bizarre and start your own concrete pumping company with all the hose you're carrying!!!

Gawd...LMAO...leave it you to come up with THAT one...no wonder we've got people goin "what the heck's goin on here!"...well...just a heck of alot of fun!!

Sean
Old 06-28-2005, 09:00 PM   #14

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by C.CARNEY:
I believe they have them at camping world. It's some kind of emacerator pump. I saw a guy with one at a campground and he told me he could empty his black tank through a garden hose.

Clark </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh geez....Clark! I think they call that a garbage/sh!t disposal motor!!

Wow...this is great! Tom..you just out-did yorself on THIS one! Gonna hafta give this one a TWO Thumbs-up!