Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-22-2019, 02:50 PM   #1

Opinions of ATC/Sundowner/Dune Sport

So let me hear some opinions on ATC and their all Aluminum construction as opposed to Sundowner with metal & wood or Dune Sport with wood and fiberglass skin.

I have had a few trailers with water damage inside. None of my truck campers ever had any leaks but I didn't own them for more than 4 years.

I like the ATC construction and realize you PAY for it.
Sundowner has a very good quality inside and you can see it.
Dune Sport seems to me to be about like all the other trailer manufactures and while they will build you anything you want I worry about it lasting 20 years.

I see the ATC or Sundowner being passed down to one of my kids and then used years after that.
Wildman4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2019, 06:43 PM   #2

I had to have the warmth of the wood interior of the Sundowner.

I could not sleep at night if I signed the paperwork on a $120k trailer with no wood work in the LQ.

I was upset that the published MSRP is $90k ish yet dealers are selling them for $120k. I questioned that as its on their website and I heard...I hate that they do that. I personally feel those ATC 5th wheels should be more priced in the $80k range for what they are compared to what their Goosneck race trailers go for.

I looked at Dune Sport, not in the wild though. It still has the ability to be a pile of junk in real short order if a water leak happens. Now if they pop a fibreglass roof with radiused edges and 16" on center wall framing like a good class A or super c then I feel I would have looked further, but they don't so I didnt.
Wild Card is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 09:40 PM   #3

Thanks Wildcard,
My only issue with Sundowner is getting to the sleeping area. I have yet to hear back from the local dealer on if they can do the things I requested. But we shall see.

One other question I had is why are Toy haulers and TT trailers limited to 45' but they make horse trailers and car trailers in the 53' range?
Old 01-22-2019, 10:43 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Card View Post
I personally feel those ATC 5th wheels should be more priced in the $80k range for what they are compared to what their Goosneck race trailers go for.
Do the gooseneck racing trailers with living quarters up front and showers go for 80K, or are you referring to the slick cargo versions?
Raider47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 04:34 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider47 View Post
Do the gooseneck racing trailers with living quarters up front and showers go for 80K, or are you referring to the slick cargo versions?
Goosneck with LQ. And that was a custom floorpla like my Sundowner 2286.

I had a quote of $65k for what aTC calls the GN3 package

Slick Cargo was in the $30k. And I was going to build it myself

All quotes were 40ft trailers
Old 01-23-2019, 04:36 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildman4x4 View Post
Thanks Wildcard,
My only issue with Sundowner is getting to the sleeping area. I have yet to hear back from the local dealer on if they can do the things I requested. But we shall see.

One other question I had is why are Toy haulers and TT trailers limited to 45' but they make horse trailers and car trailers in the 53' range?
In the RV industry they cant fo over a certain sq footage.
Old 01-23-2019, 07:30 AM   #7

Mid Atlantic Campers
Spacecraft MFG will build what ever you want including 53' rigs. Be prepared to dig deep.
soundman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 11:28 AM   #8

Did look at the space craft site curious where is the specs pictures on a toy hauler?
Gaspumpcity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 08:22 AM   #9

Mid Atlantic Campers
Here's a floor plan link to one of several on there site. They do not mass produce any thing. Call them and have a discussion.
http://spacecraftmfg.com/wp-content/...03/425-002.png
soundman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 01:53 PM   #10

Ran across Intech Trailers today in my internet Toy Hauler travels.

Custom Aluminum Trailer | inTech Custom All-Aluminum Trailers

A poster in one of the Sandrail forums I visit stated the company was started up by some ex ATC employees and the company is down the road from ATC. Anyway this person said they are very close in quality and price to ATC.

I looked at their web site today and they make several goosenecks in various sizes but the 28' jumped out at me as ATC only offers a 40'. They have a 38' with a bath option not sure if they have that option in smaller goosenecks.

Anyway might be worth checking out.
Dennis58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 04:34 PM   #11

Well a little update,

So far Sundowner has not contacted me to tell me if they can or can't do what I asked on their trailer.

ATC also hasn't gotten back to me either about if they can install the fold down seat or the washer/dryer unit.

In both of their defense it was a short week for some businesses.

Now Dune Sport contacted me on Tuesday and we talked some more. I sent them the picture of the Sundowner with the rear open deck and they said they could build something like that. So I rough out a drawing of what my idea was for the trailer and they are working on a cad drawing and price list. So we will see what they bring to the table next week.
Old 02-09-2019, 04:15 PM   #12

Does anyone know why ATC focuses on the bumper pull toy haulers instead of their goose neck design? I assume it’s because they cater to a lot of customers with SUVs or who need their truck bed? Are their any other advantages of a bumper pull design that I’m missing?
Old 02-09-2019, 06:52 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider47 View Post
Does anyone know why ATC focuses on the bumper pull toy haulers instead of their goose neck design? I assume it’s because they cater to a lot of customers with SUVs or who need their truck bed? Are their any other advantages of a bumper pull design that I’m missing?
They just brought the 5th wheel production toyhauler to the market don really know of a customer actually taking possession of 1 yet . The bumper pull was their 1st forte.

Don't see it as catering, they are just getting started in the RV market really

ATC has been building custom gooseneck toyhauler trailers for quite sometime. Recent productions you/we see now in the RV world is their attempt at market share. They catered to the race crowed and looking to expand.
Old 02-09-2019, 08:00 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Card View Post
They just brought the 5th wheel production toyhauler to the market don really know of a customer actually taking possession of 1 yet . The bumper pull was their 1st forte.

Don't see it as catering, they are just getting started in the RV market really

ATC has been building custom gooseneck toyhauler trailers for quite sometime. Recent productions you/we see now in the RV world is their attempt at market share. They catered to the race crowed and looking to expand.
Correct me if I’m wrong, but their new toy hauler 5th wheel is huge with a taller roof and priced well into 6 figures. The gooseneck trailers are more made to order but can be had in a toy hauler configuration for around 80. Is that about right?