Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-22-2015, 08:36 PM   #1

Opinions welcome on TT haulers

We have a Ford F-150 that is capable of towing 9600 lbs. we have been looking at several travel trailer toy haulers in the 25-30 foot range. The price ranges are unreal, but we are getting the feeling that you get what you pay for.

We are liking the Jayco 273, but we haven't actually been able to see one. As for the "best" manufacturer, I would love to hear from this forum what you think of the different companies offering units in our size.

Also, here are the things we think we want, and frankly, we don't know if there are other key options we should be looking in to.

Front bed we can walk around.
A bathroom that doesn't block you in the bedroom. (Separate entry)
Generator (don't know what size we would need)
Ducted ac
Electric awning if possible
Pass through storage unit
Queen bunk bed in back
Should we get a dinette table set up?
Should we get automatic leveling system, electric or hydrolic? Or not at all?

I think a lot of these things are standard, but if we end up narrowing it down to a couple different brands, I want to be able to help decide based on whether these things are actually necessary.

Thanks for any opinions anyone is willing to share.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2015, 07:23 AM   #2

Look at the Stryker 2812 or 2912 models from Cruiser rv. Very happy with mine.

That f150 won't cut it though.

If you want lightweight and keep the 150...look at livin light toyhaulers

Old 09-24-2015, 01:04 PM   #3

Any toy hauler over 23 - 25 foot long is really 2500 truck territory. The axles are farther back to carry the toys so the weight isn't lifted off the tongue. The tongue weight is usually pretty heavy and over the capacity of a 1500.

Travel Trailers don't come with levelers. They have stabilizer jacks. I do not know if you can get electric ones. I use a cordless drill to lower and raise mine. Take a couple of 2x6s to park on top of, on the low side, if needed. Tongue jack to level front to back afterwards and then lower stabilizer jacks.
NFlcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 08:05 AM   #4

We have looked at several light weight campers the past few days. We really love the Cruiser Stryker but are concerned about the cargo carrying capacity. The UVW is about 7700 as it sits on the lot. Our Harley is 900 lbs. that puts us at 8600. Our truck can only tow 9600. Is it possible to keep the weight of all the "stuff" at 1000 lbs or less?

Also, the one we are looking at doesn't have a generator. How much weight would that add if we decided to get one, and should we get one?
Old 09-27-2015, 10:18 AM   #5

Wild Card, can I ask you about your Stryker?

We have made a tentative deal on a 2912 for $29,900 without a generator. We can add that for $4000 more. Our only hang up at this point is the ceiling vents.

They don't have a switch to turn them on and no way to open them without a ladder. We are going to ask them to change them out for the fan-tastic remote vents at no charge.

We are also a bit unsettled on the price of the Cumming Onan 4000 gas generator. We can get one on Amazon prime for $3157 with no shipping, but we would have to install it ourself, or pay their price of $4000 installed. They have already said they will not come down on that price.

So my question, do you think this is a good price or should we look around some more?
Thanks for your input.
Gunny
Old 09-27-2015, 11:18 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtskinner View Post
Wild Card, can I ask you about your Stryker?

We have made a tentative deal on a 2912 for $29,900 without a generator. We can add that for $4000 more. Our only hang up at this point is the ceiling vents.

They don't have a switch to turn them on and no way to open them without a ladder. We are going to ask them to change them out for the fan-tastic remote vents at no charge.

We are also a bit unsettled on the price of the Cumming Onan 4000 gas generator. We can get one on Amazon prime for $3157 with no shipping, but we would have to install it ourself, or pay their price of $4000 installed. They have already said they will not come down on that price.

So my question, do you think this is a good price or should we look around some more?
Thanks for your input.
Gunny
The price is good in my eyes, it's what I paid for mine...after walking out the door and then got a call a few minutes later.

I could have done the gen myself but opted to pay the 4k.

I changed out my bath vent only...and I did it saw no need to touch the others.

If you don't have a wd hitch your gonna need one, I reccomended equalizer.
Old 09-27-2015, 11:39 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
We have two fantastic fans on our 5er. Both are thermostatically controlled.

At night we open both of them. The one in the living area is set to the temperature we want and the one in the bedroom is just left open (during the day set to blow in). It is nice a quiet in the bedroom and when the desired temperature is achieved the one in the living area shuts off.

Both are rain sensors.
Old 09-28-2015, 05:47 AM   #8

The generator will definitely add weight, especially on the tongue if it's mounted in front of wheels.. Be wary of weights listed by manufacturer too. Some don't include full gas tanks, water, batteries, etc..

I was going to install a generator in mine but opted for a portable instead. It frees up some tongue weight and I have room either in bed of truck, or in garage of trailer.

Another vote for the Equal-I-zer hitch system.
DTG173 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 06:09 PM   #9

Thanks for all the feedback. We're going with the Stryker 2912 with the built in generator. We sign the papers this Friday. Getting really excited.
Old 09-29-2015, 06:22 PM   #10

Your F150 might say it will tow 9,600 but you will soon be upgrading to a bigger truck. Half tons pretty much max out at 5k. Let us know when you get that new truck
Old 09-29-2015, 06:36 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89sandman View Post
Your F150 might say it will tow 9,600 but you will soon be upgrading to a bigger truck. Half tons pretty much max out at 5k. Let us know when you get that new truck
I will concur. That's lots of trailer for that truck.
Old 10-02-2015, 09:12 PM   #12

Signed the papers tonight, should be here in 6-8 weeks. Can't afford a new truck so we better be ok with the F150. Ford dealer and camper salesman both said we should be fine. You guys really have me second guessing my truck. Believe me, I'd LOVE to have a bigger truck, just not in the cards right now.

Anyway, I have a question for those of you who already have a Stryker with the slide out couch...the brochure and everything I read says the floor folds up when the slide out comes in. The salesman had no idea what that meant and we didn't see anything that folded up. Does your slide out floor fold up?
Gunny
Old 10-02-2015, 11:11 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtskinner View Post
Signed the papers tonight, should be here in 6-8 weeks. Can't afford a new truck so we better be ok with the F150. Ford dealer and camper salesman both said we should be fine. You guys really have me second guessing my truck. Believe me, I'd LOVE to have a bigger truck, just not in the cards right now.

Anyway, I have a question for those of you who already have a Stryker with the slide out couch...the brochure and everything I read says the floor folds up when the slide out comes in. The salesman had no idea what that meant and we didn't see anything that folded up. Does your slide out floor fold up?
Gunny
I do not have a slideout. But looked at a model with...and yes the floor of the slideout actually folds up. If you had a something strapped to the floor you can bring the slideout in around it.

This is alot of trailer for a 1/2 ton. I pulled mine at first with a 3/4 ton 7.3l diesel. It pulled ok, I had 225k miles on the truck and the trans started slipping pulling some hills.

This trailer is going to be in the mid 8k-9k range once loaded, it sits 12ft off the ground. You will get alot of wind push and it has alot of rolling wind resistance.

No way would I hook it up to a 1/2 ton truck.

Good luck and hope you buy the best wd/sway control system.
Old 10-02-2015, 11:17 PM   #14

Wrong thing