Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-15-2013, 09:09 PM   #1

Outside ladder question

Just a quick question.... My Fuzion FZ310 has the ladder mount on the side of the rig to avoid conflict with the ramp door I guess. They told me it should be removed during travel to stay within vehicle width regulations. Where do you guys store yours during travel?? If my "toys" are in the garage, there is no room for the ladder. I could leave it home I guess.....
A buddy was able to acquire a second set of mounting hardware for his to mount on the back. He puts the ladder on the back for travel and moves it to the side at his destination. That seems to work well for him but I haven't been able to find that kind of hardware without buying an entire ladder kit.

krudedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2013, 10:20 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
RV Ladder Repair Parts - Factory RV Surplus

Try these guys they have enough to build an entire ladder. I know from experience.

njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:50 AM   #3

Thanks Norm. I will check that out. The more I think about this, the more I realize that this HAS to be a common issue. What does everyone else deal with it?
krudedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:04 PM   #4

I feel your pain as I also have a fusion(395), I was kind of thinking of making some type of bracket to hang it from the bottom of the trailer above the axles since the axles have been rolled from factory should be plenty of room. Probably not the easiest to get to but hopefully I won't need it very often. I am not to worried about road grime because we only travel the summer months.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:19 AM   #5

I leave mine on. The metal tube from the generator exhaust is the same width as the ladder so even if I took the ladder down it doesn't change anything. I have a 2011 Fuzion 322 TE and the generator exhaust sticks out pretty far, exactly same overall width as the ladder.
C130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 09:36 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have seen some toy haulers with the ladder on the front of the RV. It just follows the contour of the front cap.
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Doug Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:05 PM   #7
Vin

Toy hauler ladder fix

I found a collapsible aluminum ladder that can mount to the side. It's hinged and folds flat against the trailer when stored (1 1/4" total) and extends out from the coach about 3 1/4" when in use. Can't seem to find it on line but a local dealer had it installed on a unit and quoted me $249 it is sweet!
Old 05-04-2013, 12:31 PM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by C130 View Post
I leave mine on. The metal tube from the generator exhaust is the same width as the ladder so even if I took the ladder down it doesn't change anything. I have a 2011 Fuzion 322 TE and the generator exhaust sticks out pretty far, exactly same overall width as the ladder.

Same here. Been on since we brought ours home.
Old 05-11-2013, 09:23 AM   #9

Been driving with mine for two years thru 35 states. Never been as issue. I won't do anything about it until it becomes one. I'm a retired cop. We never payed attention to that crap. Only time you might get dinged is if you got waved into some weigh station and some overzealous scale cop made an issue out of it, but again, the chances of that are miniscule. Word of caution tho. I have seen some of the State Park Rangers in CA, particularly at Oceano SP in Pismo Beach do veh inspections and issue cites for BS stuff like this. Strictly a money deal. California is in such bad shape they are looking for cash under every rock, and Ranger Rick doesn't have any real police work to do. I avoid CA State Parks for that reason.
Old 05-24-2013, 08:32 PM   #10

I threw my ladder away and replaced it with a aluminum extension ladder. Now I can use the extension to work on any part of the rig and not be restricted to working from the roof or off one side of the OEM ladder.

Additionally, I noticed the ladder was coming apart where the assembly screws were holding it together. There wasn't any Loctite or any other thread locking compound on the threads. I deemed this dangerous as I would have probably forgotten to check each and every screw on the ladder before use. Given this cumbersome style of ladder being transported on the exterior of the vehicle makes it even more dangerous and subjective to falling apart during transport or falling apart during use.

As a retired firefighter I feel the ladder we are given for these rigs are very inferior in structural integrity and usefulness.