Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 02-11-2016, 04:37 PM   #1
Palomino Puma

Now looking for opinions here about this brand. I have also posted a similar thread on Forest River (at least I think that is who makes Puma) to get input. I figure you all will be more brutally honest than those who are Rah! Rah! Puma.
Anyway, thanks in advance for your help. I am in the market for a bumper pull toy hauler.
A dealer in Phoenix (I live in AZ) has a few NEW 2014 Puma pull trailer toy haulers for sale. My guess is I could get a really good deal on one of these. I was planning to buy used, but obviously would prefer a new one with warranty if I could get a screaming deal. What would I need to look for in a new trailer that has been sitting around for 2 years? What are the problems with Puma in general? I have had both a Class C and 2 Class A Diesel pushers, but for many reasons am now wanting a toy hauler to pull with my Ford F-350.
I know if something seems too good to be true--!!RUN!!!--but there seem to be really discounted prices on Pumas. Especially if you go to Indiana! Why?
Appreciate the help!
PS Pumas don't have king beds, but if I get a walk around Queen I plan to live with it for awhile and eventually remodel. Or something.

mlpmd56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2016, 07:44 PM   #2
Ford Super Duty Owner
I've owned A's and C's also. IMHO, pretty much most of these 5th wheels are at the same level of construction "efficiency" as the mid-low end gasser class-C and Class-As. They generally have inferior finishes, although the Puma has a standard aluminum exterior which doesn't suffer from delamination issues and is actually easier to repair.

What I know about the Puma, I know from camping a lot with a friend. His is a 5th wheel. He leaves it stored outside and generally doesn't spend a lot of time maintaining it. He had "typical" new 5th wheel issues - Awning went bad twice, I believe the front support motor failed once, basically minor shakedown issues, but nothing major. Nothing major and it's held up well.

If you buy a new one figure out a what a "PDI inspection" is and plan on spending 3+ hours doing it BEFORE you drive away. That's the best time to find and fix issues. They will have issues, almost without exception - not just Puma, but pretty much any 5th wheel. You'll need to find 'em - most dealers miss something.. Some a lot of something.

Warranty *may* just be through the purchasing dealer, depending on how well Forest River actually funds warranty repairs. And that process of getting a repair approved, parts in, and work started can easily take 30 days... So have that expectation.

I'd absolutely buy a used one if it was well vetted, cared for (roof, at least annual), no indications of water, and I did a PDI on it... I might actually prefer one that way.

I think Keystone builds an "on par" 5th wheel. And Jayco a slightly better one (2-year warranty, factory support).

The only downside that I can think of with the Puma is a wood frame. Most are aluminum framed - and it can be argued both ways. Shouldnt make any difference as long as water doesn't get into it. I think even momentum is using wooden roof trusses.

I reviewed Forest River's responses to BBB complaints - I can tell you that in my opinion, they are much better responses than what you see from Keystone/Thor - and their RVs are typically more expensive.

Last: The brand-specific forums, even if claiming to be independent, typically don't like to discuss quality issues in a fair and open manner... I think most mods are proud of their brand and for some reason don't want it talked down. You can get an objective shake down via PM'ing people with the same model that you're interested in.

cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 01:32 PM   #3
We bought a 2014 puma in 2015. It is a bumper pull. Around 34 foot total length, I think the model is a DSU 30?? It is HEAVY! after towing it on a 3 hr trip and back I sold my 3/4 ton gmc 6.0 liter and bought a dodge dually with an 8.0 liter. I think it weighs north of 10,000 lbs loaded. We haul our golf cart and/or hit and miss engines in the back. It also has an on board gen set.

We have no complaints and really like it. It is not perfect(no walk around bed, no couch) but it suits us. I dont think the construction is top notch but it has be adequate for our use. Wish I could offer more.

Ste is offline   Reply With Quote