Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-23-2005, 08:20 AM   #1

This was yesterdays project.

Notice the roof line was removed to make it fit. (Deb wasn't too thrilled with that)

Now this is the view from the backyard. (Again, Deb wasn't too thrilled)

This beggs the question, where are we parking our riggs?
See, it used to be in the front driveway. ( we are blessed with a large drive way where you can fit three cars and a 35 foot 5th wheel, almost unheard of in Orange County). The problem here is you always see it. There is no escaping it. Almost like it is in your face all the time. So the solution was to either deal with it, rent a space, or make it work here at home better.
I didn't want to just deal with it because every time you came down my street you would see it, that kind of gets to me after a while. I guess I don't want the first impression of my nieghborhood to be my trailer.
I don't want to rent a spot, they want too much money and it doesn't make sence when I have the driveway I do. Besides, I like having it here at home were I can work on or just hang out in whenever I want to.
So the next solution was to cut some of the eve off my roof, and slide it down the side of my house. It was a big commitment, but I like the end result. Its still here, I can get to it when I want, I get all my driveway back, and it's hidden.
Sorry about going on and on here. I just needed to blow off some steam. It's always a little stressful when you have to do cosmedic surgery on your main dwelling to make your toys fit. Thanks for listening.

Rod

WW LE3505
melon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2005, 08:20 AM   #2

This was yesterdays project.

Notice the roof line was removed to make it fit. (Deb wasn't too thrilled with that)

Now this is the view from the backyard. (Again, Deb wasn't too thrilled)

This beggs the question, where are we parking our riggs?
See, it used to be in the front driveway. ( we are blessed with a large drive way where you can fit three cars and a 35 foot 5th wheel, almost unheard of in Orange County). The problem here is you always see it. There is no escaping it. Almost like it is in your face all the time. So the solution was to either deal with it, rent a space, or make it work here at home better.
I didn't want to just deal with it because every time you came down my street you would see it, that kind of gets to me after a while. I guess I don't want the first impression of my nieghborhood to be my trailer.
I don't want to rent a spot, they want too much money and it doesn't make sence when I have the driveway I do. Besides, I like having it here at home were I can work on or just hang out in whenever I want to.
So the next solution was to cut some of the eve off my roof, and slide it down the side of my house. It was a big commitment, but I like the end result. Its still here, I can get to it when I want, I get all my driveway back, and it's hidden.
Sorry about going on and on here. I just needed to blow off some steam. It's always a little stressful when you have to do cosmedic surgery on your main dwelling to make your toys fit. Thanks for listening.

Rod

WW LE3505
Old 08-23-2005, 08:43 AM   #3

Rod I would hack at my roof any day of the week to be able to park my rig at home. I pay $125 a month just to store it and my utility trailer.

Looks great to me.

Don

06 LE 3505
Grizwald2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 09:21 AM   #4

Wow Senoir Roderick!

Talk about threading a needle, ey? but it sure looks good! I think you did a "bang up" job there buddy!

I'm with Donno on the storing at home at any cost...I used to have to store mine in a storage yard, and what a PITA...you gotta go get it, load it, then come back, unload it, take it back...I really do think you will use it alot more (and therefore the cost per trip will decrease substantially) if it's readily available. And THEN you get to pay those exorbinate rates! I'm taking bets that Griz is eyeing the side of his house as we speak!!

When we had our old SLC, we started looking for a house that had RV storage possibilities, and found exactly what we wanted- 20 feet x 77 feet of side storage. Cost us about $28,000 to make it just right (well...that was for the whole back), but I wouldn't have it any other way (well...just one beef- I wanted the side yard to be on the other side of the house so the TH's side door was facing the house- talk about picky, ey? Didn't get it, though!).

Hey...you dun good...rant and blow as much as you want- then turn off Deb's computer!!!

Sean
WWFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 09:26 AM   #5

Come to think of it rod you just incresed your resell value with that mod. Now you have RV parking! That means alot to home buyers like us.

06 LE 3505
Grizwald2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 09:34 AM   #6

Rod,

I did the same thing with the eves so I could slide my old Nomad down the side. With the Alfa, we even took out a 18' x 36' Doughboy pool and the wood deck around it to cement the back yard side and park it all the way in the back. Ran water and power, no sewer (bummer). Robi freeked at first, but shortly liked having the rig at home and behind the fence.

Good job, looks great

Clark

2005 F350 PSD CC DRW Tow Boss
C.CARNEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 10:28 AM   #7

Looks good Rod. Seems to be a lot of that, building parking spaces, going on lately. I like the drive you have under your TH but I'll take the cover I have over mine, especially concidering the number of hail storms we have around here.

Larry

P.S. Rod, can you get in the front door with the TH that close to the fence?

WW FS2300
twinbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 10:52 AM   #8

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
Rod
i really like that job. Looks factory done.
When you removed the overhang, you tossed a few rows of that spanish tile, and then put that end curled piece back on at the end? Looks good.
And like Don said, I pay to store my WW and my flatbed trailer a few blocks down the road from me, and I look with envy at your setup there.
And you have taken an admirable approach to keeping your trailer somewhat hidden from your nieghbor's view. I'm not so sure I would have had the same gracious attitude, but then i have a spread out funky neighborhood too.

But i am now getting officially annoyed with renting a spot, when i have an acre lot. I have a 70' rise over that acre, which is great for motorcycles, but not good for parking rigs.
Sean keeps on bugging me to get a earthmover and get to work.
I am now thinking of removing the little hill of flowers on the right side of this pic of my driveway, and cementing a flat parking area for the trailer which would end up being about 4-5 feet below the driveway level. Due to the curved road that surrounds my house front, i can't back a trailer longer the 20', around a 90 degree curve, AND push the trailer up 10' in elevation gain. Aint happening. But i probably could do it if i was backing it around the corner onto a level pad.

Who has a CAT D5 or at least a couple shovels??
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 11:08 AM   #9

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">you gotta go get it, load it, then come back, unload it, take it back...I really do think you will use it alot more (and therefore the cost per trip will decrease substantially) if it's readily available. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Sean
There has honest-to-gosh been times i did not use my trailer for a weekend getaway just because there weren't enough hours in the week to clean it, pack it, check it out,.etc... where i have it stored. No night time access.

It is a real PITA to not have it at your house. And NOT ONE of my neighbors has had a hose swiped from them yet ... ie: NO MODS hardly at all done yet.
I got to get my trailer back home.

My FB2200 was just about doable onto my driveway, if i didn't mind replacing a tranny once every 24 months on my truck.
But the LE33 isn't even a consideration.

I now know i need a earthmover and a 10'+ retaining wall. The earthmoving is obviously no big deal. The wall requires some thought and a permit.

Lets see .... i but a 12 pack and 15 shovels from HomeDepot ... you guys ...
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 11:20 AM   #10

BB, I would like to be able to put a cover over mine but I can hardly squeeze past the gate and the house, so roof supports wont work. I'll just have to live with the weather. My biggest worry is spiders getting all over it from my neighbors bamboo. Unfortantly I cant open the side door because it's too close to the fence so I have to use the back door from now on. A small price to pay.

WW LE3505
Old 08-23-2005, 11:22 AM   #11

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Lets see .... i but a 12 pack and 15 shovels from HomeDepot ... you guys ... [/QUOTE]<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll chip in for the Bobcat rental

WW LE3505
Old 08-23-2005, 11:27 AM   #12

You won't be seeing a response from me on this one...I have nothing fabulous to say about it.

Deb
Old 08-23-2005, 11:33 AM   #13

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I'll chip in for the Bobcat rental. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'LL chip in for the D8 rental, and you'll supply a beer truck!

Mike- it just doesn't seem that the slope is too hard to tackle...I need to make it down your way one of these days and take a closer look...you sure would be alot happier with the LE being home!

...and oh-oh...seems there is still some lingering dissention in the melon household! Yikes!
WWFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 11:43 AM   #14

What's done is done. Nothin' I can do/say about it now. (I think Rod figured this factor in when he started cutting).

Deb