Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: OK...not that I want to start a poopstorm here like on the 'other' forum, but I've seen some extrem
No and Never Will Let Anyone Ride in a 5vr 15 60.00%
No...But Willing To Change My Mind 1 4.00%
Yes...Do it All The Time 0 0%
Yes...But With Limitations 9 36.00%
Never Thought About It 0 0%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-05-2005, 02:55 PM   #15

Oh yeah FD, never mind the kids killing each other.

LOL
Rod

WW LE3505
melon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2005, 04:41 PM   #16

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I know that if I left my kids alone for that length of time, by the time we reached our destination: a) one would have killed the other, b) all of the food would be gone or c) both "a" and "b". </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mike:

Buzzzzz....wrong answer! "C" would have been the correct choice (ALWAYS go for the multiple answer choices that include the other answers, then you're assured at being at least half-right).

Sean
WWFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 06:56 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
If you want a real thrill, try riding in the 5er on some of the Oklahoma roads. They make a cow trail look like a new super expressway.

No one rides in the 5er, 2 legged or 4 legged...end of discussion.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 07:34 PM   #18

Ken:

Let me guess- you voted for "No...But I'm Willing To Change My Mind"!

HOWEVER...you did bring up a good point...if the OK roads are THAT bad, then you've swayed me. But then again, if the OK roads were THAT bad, I'd probably not take my rig down them, let alone anyone or anything in them, so...end of discussion.

You know...if safety is the issue, then you might as well throw all the bikers off the roads also, because I'd rather have a couch, cabinet, bed, even a TV or refrigerator to cushion my 'blow' in an accident rather than just a brain bucket and some gloves. And last I saw the bikes in my friend's Honda shop, there wasn't one bike I saw with seatbelts. And as one post said it best...(paraphrased) "I find it ironic that you who are so adamant about not riding in a coach will reach your destination and go riding on dunes, mountain trails, or whatever on your motorbikes".

Thanks for your opinion.

Sean
Old 08-06-2005, 01:59 PM   #19

My nice answer is.....NO!
not even the dog.
No one rides in our truck bed either, not even the dog (even with no trailer attached.)
I,ve worked too many fatality accidents to even consider the trailer or the truck bed as a place for people or pets. (Did not work any trailer wrecks where people had been inside, but have seen an ejection from a truck bed) That was a DRT (dead right there).
RV's that have been in bad wrecks look like mobile homes that have been in tornadoes.The few badly wrecked trailers I've seen were not survivable had there been someone inside. Those kind of trailer wrecks are usually cleaned up by a front end loader cause it's just a pile of rubbish (even though the truck damage was surviveable).
Old 08-06-2005, 03:05 PM   #20

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
Two Bit,
it sounds like we'll put you down with a
" YES .. but with some limitations" ?????

I think that sort of answer was the intent of Sean's question.

And in staying with the theme and flavor of Sean's post, I also would not recommend riding in the back of pickup truck's ...
.. BUT could i remind all that that is exactly how our Salinas Valley was populated with hard workers in the fields, all a standing 'long side Steinbeck. They came in the droves from TX and OK and other eastern states, a dozen family members all a ridin' in the same truck. Its been done before.

So to stay in the same lighthearted and informational vein that the original poster here had, ..... NONE of our offroad toys are rated for more then the one or two that are recommended, and yet we ALL have at times 'packed' an extra folk or two on them for little rides around the camp.

We all are generally safe folk here I've a noticed, just after a lil' fun and good talk...but i HAVE pulled my son behind my truck out in the sand riding on my snowboard holding onto a rope. That wasn't in the question though.
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 06:10 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Hey Ken, You need to get another trailer that rides better than the one you have. I can carry all sorts of people in mine without a problem. Charley say's that it is really nice riding in it! Just goes to show that its all in the way the trailer rides. Doesn't have anything to do with the law and all that bull S##t but I have to agree that passengers should not be allowed to ride in a 5th wheel
Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 07:22 PM   #22

Guys,

I did a few times when I had my toybox trailer, but stopped completel when m son described just how rough the ride was. He laid on the bed above the truck bed and said that wasn't to bad, but the back of the trailer was just no way. Now with the new Alfa, it's not set up for anyone to ride in it, so I don't have to even think about it anymore. Even if you could ride in it, I won't ever allow someone to ride in te trailer anymore. It's just not safe enough for me.

Clark

2005 F350 PSD CC DRW Tow Boss
C.CARNEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 07:34 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Well, it just goes to prove that depending on the trailer and how it rides depends on what the experience is going to be. Some trailers bounce and that is why some require shocks, then others ride quite nice.
Old 08-06-2005, 07:55 PM   #24

Clark:

You bring up another very good point..."how many axles"...your old Nomad, or even your 94(?) WW were only dual axles right? There is a BIG difference between 2 & 3, probably the same or even more than the diff between 1 & 2. And if you throw shock absorbers into the mix, you're even better off with the tri-axles setup.

I've ridden in mine- and on the old Route 66 portion between Amboy and Needles, which on a scale of 1 to 10 is a 3-4. The ride was like I was in a Greyhound bus. Not bad at all.

Now when I set this thread, mine was the only situation that I'd consider it at all- I did not even contemplate tandems when I said "5vr"- I've only had tri's. So in that light, I WOULD probably agree that it's not a good idea with anything less than 3 axles. After riding in mine (even the old 95 SLC), I'd still do it, and will. Adding shocks in something that I've been thinking about, which will make it all that more enjoyable.

Sean
Old 08-06-2005, 08:02 PM   #25

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WWFan:
Adding shocks in something that I've been thinking about, which will make it all that more enjoyable. Sean </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sure.... I gotta see this one

Previous Rig: 2012 Itasca 30'
56Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 08:12 PM   #26

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Sure.... I gotta see this one </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Howie:

I saw somewhere that, and I believe it's Monroe, that makes a shock kit for RVs. Shocks...people or not in the 5vr, would make for a bunch better ride for everything else- especially those off-roads in the desert. It is something that I'm really thinking about, but will have to get past the warranty period on the axles.

Really!

Sean
Old 08-06-2005, 08:22 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
See guys, that's what i said. Depending on the axles and all, that makes a big difference. I don't need any shocks where some do, it all depends on the axles and the suspension as to whether you need the shocks or not.
Old 08-06-2005, 08:25 PM   #28

I let a buddy sleep on the bed above the hitch in my old trailer from Vegas to St. George. He said in was great, put him right to sleep. After the trip I thought deeply about having to tell his wife what might have happened if there was an accident. So maybe not "close" friends in the future.

Rod

WW LE3505
melon is offline   Reply With Quote