Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: OK...not that I want to start a poopstorm here like on the 'other' forum, but I've seen some extrem
No and Never Will Let Anyone Ride in a 5vr 15 60.00%
No...But Willing To Change My Mind 1 4.00%
Yes...Do it All The Time 0 0%
Yes...But With Limitations 9 36.00%
Never Thought About It 0 0%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-04-2005, 06:57 PM   #1

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2005, 06:57 PM   #2

Old 08-04-2005, 07:21 PM   #3

Let's see "would like to get your tasteful thoughts...

I like to let my son drive the tv while riding in the back with the wife. Really get's fun when driving thru a parking lot with lot's of speed bumps. Take her around one more time son!!!

Did I pass the "tasteful test sean"?
Old 08-04-2005, 07:37 PM   #4

You passed! Now THAT'S an idea! (Wish I wudda thought of it- may load up in a few minutes and 'try 'er out!).

Thanks for the levity! You're a class act BB!

Sean
Old 08-04-2005, 08:59 PM   #5

Ok, here is what we do. We ask the wives to ride in the back of the rigs on the
trip down to Eric's.

At cocktail hour..... Sean will take another Poll and we'll post the results

Guess only BB and me voted so far.....
Old 08-05-2005, 03:01 AM   #6

Riding in the 5v'er is not legal here in AL, however I have wondered what it would be like. I can see where it could be beneficial if we were trying to make a beeline from point A to point B, and if the ride was comfortable enough that one could sleep. However, I'm not sure how well I would like being in there and not being able to see what was "coming down the pike". As for the kids... I would only let the Grandkids do it if Mom or Dad was along to take the responsibility. I probably will try it someday when in a state where it is allowed.

Sheri

2005 Chevy 3500 (DRW) Duramax with Allison 1000
Goldenwingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 04:22 AM   #7

What keeps me a responsible RV'er and driver is that I have never become so relaxed driving that I would allow anyone to ride in my fiver. Some folks may think its ok, but I don't. How offen do you check the pins, or the welds of the hitch? How about tire blow-outs. I have seen rigs like mine in accidents, and there is nothing left. No fault of the driver - tire blow-out.
Old 08-05-2005, 04:43 AM   #8

I would not let any living thing ride in our fiver, I would consider that cruel and unusual punishment! I had occasion to move around some when trying to fine tune my set up in a campground. I just told the wife to brace herself while I pulled forward and backed up a couple of feet, and that included coming off the slab and back onto it. Her words were never again, she ended up sitting on the floor braced against a wall!

So I guess anyone considering this should try it out and then decide.

Bob

2006 32' Sunny Brook
rehcuobbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 06:05 AM   #9

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
I have allowed riders to traverse without adultration, although Sean it was only close family members.
I have let them ride back there if I hook up and move the trailer at Glamis to another close campsite down the sand a ways. A little offroading. Never on the open highway. It actually is interesting to hear from them what it is like back there while under steam. They stow their belongings a little better after a brief ride back there.
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 06:07 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
My wife and granddaughter rode in ours about 6 miles to check out how it was riding over a rough section of road by our house and to see how the Jeep was riding while tied down in it. They loved it, said the trailer barely moved at all, just a gentle rocking motion. I don't know that I would recommend using it to transport people on a trip due to the possibilities that could happen if there was an accident but as I did say on the "other forum", take responsibility for your own actions and get the government out of our lives. I get tired of having the state tell us whats good and bad for us and what we should and shouldn't do. I guess I'm just a rebel. Its a shame that most people need protection from themselves.

You know, When I was growing up, we played with BB guns, lived with lead paint, and did all sorts of things that aren't considered healthy today according to others. I lived through it and so did most others. In my opinion, most people are stupid, excusing present company here unless the shoe fits.

There Sean, is that tasteful enough? If you push enough buttons you'll finally get the right one.

He## yes, do whatever you feel like doing!
Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 06:47 AM   #11

Tom:

Funny you should mention that...2 years ago when we were coming back from the Grand Canyon, Brian and moski were in the back- she radioed me to tell me that the ride had got a bunch bumpier, so about 5 miles down the road we stopped, and we actually had 5 of the 6 tires separating! I wouldn't have noticed it so quick if she wasn't back there. But there reports of the ride are the same...just a gentle rocking back and forth (kinda hard to man-handle a 40ft trailer to the point you'd have people banging off the walls, ya know?). And one time going out to the river (Colorado), I let her drive so I could see what the ride was like, and I felt the same way- not bad at all.

And 56- good idea!! Let them decide!

And Sheri: you made a great point about not being able to see forward...that the one point that bugs me also!

Everyone has presented some pretty good points, and done it in a great way! Thanks!
Old 08-05-2005, 07:42 AM   #12

I won't do it only because it would give me one more thing to worry about (especially where the kids are concerned) making my trip less pleasant. Plus ... I know that if I left my kids alone for that length of time, by the time we reached our destination: a) one would have killed the other, b) all of the food would be gone or c) both "a" and "b".

KZ 29P
JAguirre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 07:48 AM   #13

I have let Deb and Sammie ride back there on short trips around the neighborhood. Never on the open road. She just doesn't want to. A couple other responsable adults have splet back there on long trips, or made lunch for the troops, but I don't make it a regular practice. Deb says its bumpy and sounds like it's about to fall apart. The truck is more comfortable.

Rod

WW LE3505
melon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 08:21 AM   #14

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">...I know that if I left my kids alone for that length of time, by the time we reached our destination: a) one would have killed the other, (or) b) all of the food would be gone... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
i certainly don't like the idea of losing all that good food

FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote