Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-06-2005, 08:01 PM   #1

I had to scold my Giant guy for bringing this up AFTER I committed (I hate when they get the F&I guy to sell you add-ons when you've already got your financing)...Permaplate- the 'coating' or treatment that supposedly has a five-year guarantee and protects your gelcoat...anyone have any ideas? Have you opted for this? Giant wanted $1500-1800 to do this, but explained it could be added at any time (even at your house).

I'd love to have something that keep bug guts from staining the gelcoat on the front of my coach (as well as 'protect' all the extrainious stuff on the side from yellowing), but I was a little perturbed that they would bring this up at the signing stage.

Anyone?
WWFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2005, 08:01 PM   #2

I had to scold my Giant guy for bringing this up AFTER I committed (I hate when they get the F&I guy to sell you add-ons when you've already got your financing)...Permaplate- the 'coating' or treatment that supposedly has a five-year guarantee and protects your gelcoat...anyone have any ideas? Have you opted for this? Giant wanted $1500-1800 to do this, but explained it could be added at any time (even at your house).

I'd love to have something that keep bug guts from staining the gelcoat on the front of my coach (as well as 'protect' all the extrainious stuff on the side from yellowing), but I was a little perturbed that they would bring this up at the signing stage.

Anyone?
Old 06-06-2005, 08:06 PM   #3

I was asked if I wanted the same coating applied. I said "no" because I didn't know anything about it.

I'll also be interested in any feedback on this coating. I can always change my answer.
high desert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 08:11 PM   #4

HD:

My point exactly...I kinda got the idea up front that this was part of the deal, but then they presented this to me at the end of the deal...had I known what the features/benefits were, then maybe they could've hooked me. Check out this website... http://www.permaplate.com

Sean
Old 06-06-2005, 08:15 PM   #5

Go a Google.... and it appears that it might
just be a overpriced polymer treatment.

A good wax every 6 months is less pricey

Previous Rig: 2012 Itasca 30'
56Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 08:21 PM   #6

Well from the website it says that you have to renew the coating every six months.....that's a PITA.

Also it says to avoid applying to black plastic , I wonder what that will do to our beautiful graphics.

And you have to reapply after using bug and tar removers....hmmmmm that means the front of the TH every trip.

I think I'll need some testimonials.
high desert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 03:44 PM   #7

HD:

The salesman said it's warrantied for 5 years, so I'm not quite sure what 'version' of the install it is...the website seems like it more geared towards after-market maintenance...I'll ask more from Chris....

And 56: have you waxed a 40 footer lately? Every 6 months will seem like EVERY DAY, eh? I did mine once, then went down to Home Depot to enlist some help, but the suckers wanted $20/hour! Oh well...

Sean
Old 06-08-2005, 08:35 AM   #8
Mil

I had it done when I bought our 40 foot Escalade in Feb. I happen to go to the dealer while it was being put on. I wondered if I really was getting what I paid for. I noticed 2 guys putting the stuff on. It was just a wax type material. When I picked it up, they had not done a great job of removing it. I still have areas that have white wax like residue that I have to use a tooth brush to remove it from the groves and corners etc.
If I had it to do again. I woudl not have it done. Especially on a getcoat with paint. I think a good was job once a year would be adequate and you can usually find some day labors to do it for alot less than what you woudl spend on the perma guard.
Mil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 11:24 AM   #9

Mil:

Welcome to iRV2, and thanks for the testimonial!

Just by chance, if you don't mind, what did they charge you? I was quoted $1500-1800 (depending on just how much I wanted to dikker I guess), and the only thing that made me NOT do it was the fact they were presenting it to me as an after-thought. Had I had the ability to get over that, I probably would've done it, but now am glad I didn't.

Mil...hope your iRV2 journeys are good ones! And thanks again!

Sean
Old 06-08-2005, 03:27 PM   #10

Sean,

I'd be more inclined to just give it a good coat of wax a couple times each year. I don't remember them asking me if I wanted the protection on mine, I wouldn't have taken it anyway.

I'm going to wax it after this next trip, and then just do maintanence. I already went over it with Protect-all once, seemed to help thru the butterfly migration a couple months ago.

Clark

2005 F350 PSD CC DRW Tow Boss
C.CARNEY is offline   Reply With Quote