Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-25-2005, 07:45 AM   #29

FatDog go take you Ridlyn

06 LE 3505
Grizwald2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2005, 09:44 AM   #30

Great link.

So never having pulled a 5er on the beach what are the tricks of the trade.lol

I will be hauling a 04 Jeep wrangler inside the WW LE 3505. August 1-3, Should I unload the Jeep and then look for a spot or just air the Truck down and find a spot?

Would be nice to meet up with others to circle the wagons but we are solo (4) of us right now.

Any thoughts?

Reservations have been made. 8-1-3-2005 This will be are shake down run.

2004 Jeep Wrangler 4X4
cboh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 10:42 AM   #31

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
cboh1
actually, the first paragraph in my response above to the Griz,
just MAY have been exaggerated a little .....

... but the second paragraph was good. The slightly more moist sand is the cruising road.
And you may very well end up camping 2 or 3 miles down the sand from the creek, so i would not unload your Jeep at the entrance, just be ready to air down if you feel the need as you drive along. I've done the pull without airing down and I have done it with 25 pounds as well. No big deal. Like i said, the ONLY time i have had to do any thinking during that whole process, was the very last part, where you decide that you have found your campsite and you turn up from the wetter hardpack, up into the softer sand camping area.
(don't ask why it is not advisable to park where it is a little wet while it is still at low tide)

So plan your final turn into the soft area well, don't smoke the tires and lose traction until you need that last little ooomph of go-power, and just keep this in mind:
there are 200 other guys already parked there in rigs exactly like yours, except lots of them are only 2 wheel drive, so it apparently is a doable task. (those guys do carry a lot of shovels though)
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 11:07 AM   #32

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Griz... are you saying that you've never been there....???
well..... YEA... you have to go over a river, 5 to 9 feet deep, at least... most guys build their own PONTOON system for their rig, you really have to;
the river is about 500, maybe 900 feet wide, VERY strong currents, and its uphill the whole way too.<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Its really not that bad. Actually, most of the fun is watching people get stuck, then trying to get unstuck. Pulling a fifth wheel is the same as a TT. You go about the same speed, FAST. The sand down by the water that is moist is as hard s concrete, so no problems there. But if you do get bogged down in the soft stuff, just shut your rig down and wait for help. There is nothing worse them someone who keeps going forward and backward like there tring to get out of snow. Before you know it your up to your axles, and all that means is more digging.

Rod

WW LE3505
melon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 01:29 PM   #33

Thanks for the advice.

I have been up there in an old class A motor home years ago and always had a guy named Digger pull us in and then out.

We sold the old MH many years ago and just went in our 4x4 trucks and then Jeep. With the Jeep I air down and can go back in the dunes panic stop and just go again. Hat the wet stuff because of the salt but oh well....

I saw a few full size trucks stuck to the bottom of their doors back in the dunes and looked like a lot of digging was going on, Jeep would not pull them out.

I just wanted to see if pulling that much weight made a difference over a class A.

Also do you air down the 5ers wheels too or just the truck.

We went up there in January when the creek was flooding and saw a few guys try and cross. Say a few stuck out in the waves. Last day the water was up the ramp at the PR stand and no one was allowed to go on the beach.

Do you cover your wheels w/plywood, what do you block your jacks with face what way ECT ?

And yes we learned about the tide when we woke up one morning with everyone driving under our awning that was facing the water..lol

2004 Jeep Wrangler 4X4
Old 06-25-2005, 07:04 PM   #34

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Also do you air down the 5ers wheels too or just the truck.<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow, alot of good ?s, I air down all my tires because it causes them to float on the top of the sand rather thah plowing through. Its hard enough to pull that trailer, imagine pulling a field plow behind you.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>We went up there in January when the creek was flooding and saw a few guys try and cross.<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I guess that winter storm really tore the river up. Hopefully they bulldozered that smooth again. They had some preatty big trucks stuck out there.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Do you cover your wheels w/plywood, what do you block your jacks with face what way ECT ?<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Last time we didn't have enough wood for the landing gear, so when the wind picked up, it underminded the sand and turned my trailer into a tripod. Now we block everthing.

Hope to see u there

Rod

WW LE3505
melon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 08:59 PM   #35

I see that the subject has become pretty entertaining.

Here's my general procedure...

Come down the ramp, pull onto hardpack and air down all the tires. I run 20-25psi on the truck and 35psi on the trailer.

I move down to cross the little bitty creek. I watch to see the paths prior vehicles are using, looking for one with a minimal drop on each side, usually just a few inches.

After I cross the creek, preferably at low tide, I move down the beach fairly close to the water, staying on the hardpack. We usually camp between posts 2 and 3, fairly close to the creek, but much quieter at night. I cut a wide u-turn and line up at about a 45 degree angle to the intended camping spot. Then I punch it an go, hopefully not stopping until I get to where I want to camp.

You're beter off camping parallel to the water with the awning facing inland. The wind usually comes off the water so the trailer will act as your windbreak. We use folded tarps bungeed the length of the trailer and around both ends on the seaward side. This keeps the wind from coming under the trailer and eroding the blocks under the jacks.

Now, if during the run to the campsite we get stuck, we unload the trailer, dig the tires clear and try again. If necessary, I may air down the truck tires even more. If all else fails, we break out the two strap and start waiving some beer around.

Important to note, making a turn in the sand gets you stuck faster. Try to make your run into the campsite as straight as possible relative to your intended final resting stop.

Pulling out at the end of the weekend may be a little harder because you're trying to get that bis ole trailer moving from a dead stop. Dig out all the tires. Wet down the sand in front of the tires. Don't load up your trailer unless you're confident you're going to be able to pull out. We usually pull out and park lower on the beach and load up the heavy stuff then.

2007 Rally site
diirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 09:14 PM   #36

Thanks for the tips.

I am not into going to far back in the sand on our test run.

We would be braver if we had others with us.

We don't drink but maybe I will add some brews to the tool box..lol

We are going during the week. Weekends are just to busy and I have had to bite my tounge a few times as the weekends seem to bring a few nuts that wreck it for us normal nuts...lol

2004 Jeep Wrangler 4X4
Old 06-26-2005, 08:01 AM   #37

Hey Eric,

How much room is down on the hard pack to make that W-I-D-E U-turn? I'm over 50' in length (truck and trailer), and our first trip to Pismo will be solo in July, so I am trying to play this out in my head... You know my rig. Do you foresee me having any trouble making that turn in the hard pack??? Also, is it clear where the water line will be at high tide? I really don't want to have to go too far into the deep stuff, but I also don't want to fish from by door at low tide.

We'll be coming in at low tide on Friday. Is it usually too crowded on Friday's with day-trippers down by the water to make that turn? I don't know why, but I am really apprehensive about this. The girls want to beach camp though so I have to make this work....

One more question.. We're heading straight to Mammoth after Pismo so I want to get the Raptor cleaned off before we hit the Sierra's. Get all the sand and salt off and freshen up the inside. Is there a truck wash in the Pismo area that you know of?

Jamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 02:02 PM   #38

Jay,
It can get crowded with day campers, so I suppose it depends on what time you were planning on going out there. Last trip we arrived at 8am on Fri at low tide. There were no day campers there yet, and I had no problems making a really wide turn. If I can make the turn, you sure can. The high tide mark is fairly obvious, just look where the sand is all torn up, and go above it.

Not sure about a truck wash, but there's bound to be a bunch of them.

2007 Rally site
Old 06-26-2005, 07:35 PM   #39

Jay:

Are you headin' back 41 or 58 towards B-Field or up over one of the passes? If thru B-Field, out on the "old" 58 (the road just north of the current one) there's a whole bunch of truck stops, and I betcha there's a truck wash station somewhere there...maybe a Little Sisters there...just get off 58 after you cross 99, and I think you'll find one...

Sean
WWFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 05:25 AM   #40

Here's a FAQ I compiled for the other site with the help of Friends of Oceano Dunes...

DO'S:

Air down your tires to 20 pounds

Bring a shovel

Bring a tow strap (if you get stuck, it's easier to get towed out if you have your own strap)

Bring extra trash bags

Bring jumper cables

Make reservations for the big weekends (http://www.reserveamerica.com)
Try to cross the creek at low tide (if you miss low tide, cross at the point closest to the water, the upper part of the creek has some very sharp edges that are tough to maneuver). If you're not sure, watch someone else cross, and then follow in their tracks.
Keeps your dogs on a leash

Bring extra tarps/bungee's to make a "wind block"

Bring firewood

Bring everything you'll need (food, water, etc..)

Bring wood for toy hauler stabilizers

Carry cell phone for emergencies

Put keys on long bright colored lanyard. If you drop them in the sand, they are much easier to find!

Bring extra whips (they seem to break easily when you crash your bike, ha-ha)

Bring cordless drill to drill out what's left of your whip in the connector so you can put a new one in the connector.

Bring a tool kit

Put a glow stick on your pets. If they get away from camp, they are much easier to find with a glow stick on their collar!

Ride Sand Highway to the back of the dunes. This is an easy path for all ages, even the very young and a good way to see the dunes.

Bring spare keys for EVERYTHING. If you lose it in the sand, it's hard to find. A lost key could ruin an entire weekend!

Be careful, the dunes are ALWAYS changing

Be considerate of those camping around you

Bring a pop up garbage can. Costco has em for $20. They're great!

Bring a large magnet on a stick! This will pick up nails that you may find in your campsite.

Offer to help a fellow duner if they need help.

Post an observer at the top of a dune if you are riding the other side for any amount of time (ie, dryshaving the dune)

DONTS:

Deflate your vehicle tires too much; they may pop off the rim!
Ride/camp before Mile Marker 2

Ride with a passenger/double

Ride without a helmet

Bring glass bottles to the beach OR throw them in the fire pit!

Bring pallets for the fire (they are full of nails)

Ride without a whip. They're there for a reason.. so you can be seen!

Ride at night without a headlight or a taillight (it's against the law and you may get stopped by the ranger)

Speed through the camping area (15mph, plus there are unseen "potholes used as tracks" that people have dug that you may not see!)

Spin the tires if you get stuck, rock back and forth and dig the sand away from the tires. Loading ramps work well as traction in front of the tires.

Ride in the closed areas!

Ride outside your capabilities

Drive your atv drunk! A DUI is a DUI and it shows up the same on your record.

Chase or scare the birds

Ride alone or without someone capable of getting help if you need it

Leave your gas cans in the sun

Try to camp illegally (without a permit). If you get caught, the fine is big!

Throw plastic into the fire. The fumes are toxic.

Take the turn to narrow at the check in kiosk. You may run your trailer into the side of the building! (Yes, I've seen it done!)

Leave your trailer awning out if it is really windy. It can become a kite in no time at all!

2007 Rally site
Old 06-27-2005, 10:32 PM   #41

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by diirk:
Here's a FAQ I compiled for the other site with the help of Friends of Oceano Dunes...

DO'S:

Air down your tires to 20 pounds

Bring a shovel

Bring a tow strap (if you get stuck, it's easier to get towed out if you have your own strap)

Bring extra trash bags

Bring jumper cables

Make reservations for the big weekends (http://www.reserveamerica.com)
Try to cross the creek at low tide (if you miss low tide, cross at the point closest to the water, the upper part of the creek has some very sharp edges that are tough to maneuver). If you're not sure, watch someone else cross, and then follow in their tracks.
Keeps your dogs on a leash

Bring extra tarps/bungee's to make a "wind block"

Bring firewood

Bring everything you'll need (food, water, etc..)

Bring wood for toy hauler stabilizers

Carry cell phone for emergencies

Put keys on long bright colored lanyard. If you drop them in the sand, they are much easier to find!

Bring extra whips (they seem to break easily when you crash your bike, ha-ha)

Bring cordless drill to drill out what's left of your whip in the connector so you can put a new one in the connector.

Bring a tool kit

Put a glow stick on your pets. If they get away from camp, they are much easier to find with a glow stick on their collar!

Ride Sand Highway to the back of the dunes. This is an easy path for all ages, even the very young and a good way to see the dunes.

Bring spare keys for EVERYTHING. If you lose it in the sand, it's hard to find. A lost key could ruin an entire weekend!

Be careful, the dunes are ALWAYS changing

Be considerate of those camping around you

Bring a pop up garbage can. Costco has em for $20. They're great!

Bring a large magnet on a stick! This will pick up nails that you may find in your campsite.

Offer to help a fellow duner if they need help.

Post an observer at the top of a dune if you are riding the other side for any amount of time (ie, dryshaving the dune)

DONTS:

Deflate your vehicle tires too much; they may pop off the rim!
Ride/camp before Mile Marker 2

Ride with a passenger/double

Ride without a helmet

Bring glass bottles to the beach OR throw them in the fire pit!

Bring pallets for the fire (they are full of nails)

Ride without a whip. They're there for a reason.. so you can be seen!

Ride at night without a headlight or a taillight (it's against the law and you may get stopped by the ranger)

Speed through the camping area (15mph, plus there are unseen "potholes used as tracks" that people have dug that you may not see!)

Spin the tires if you get stuck, rock back and forth and dig the sand away from the tires. Loading ramps work well as traction in front of the tires.

Ride in the closed areas!

Ride outside your capabilities

Drive your atv drunk! A DUI is a DUI and it shows up the same on your record.

Chase or scare the birds

Ride alone or without someone capable of getting help if you need it

Leave your gas cans in the sun

Try to camp illegally (without a permit). If you get caught, the fine is big!

Throw plastic into the fire. The fumes are toxic.

Take the turn to narrow at the check in kiosk. You may run your trailer into the side of the building! (Yes, I've seen it done!)

Leave your trailer awning out if it is really windy. It can become a kite in no time at all! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>very cool check list, never thought of the magnet on a stick deal, in glamis over easter this year I must have picked up 50 nails over the 6 days we were there! and yes there was one tire casualty, my boy's paddles brought a nail home with us, **** irresponsible duners!!!!

06 Rampage 387
RRC/AMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 07:26 AM   #42

Just thought I'd bump this up, just over a month to go.....

2007 Rally site