Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-10-2018, 06:59 AM   #1

Pulled the trigger

So after 6 months of searching for a suitable rv, new or used. We pulled the trigger on a Fusion 322 TE II. 8 year old trailer thats looks brand new inside since it was a weekend only rv and never boondocked. In fact, the Onan 5.5 has only .3 hours on it.

I have a few questions for the experts out there.

My research has indicated Dicor as the roof sealant of choice but what about a vertical sealing repair where the cap meets the structure? Dicor is self leveling so i figure it would just run down the side. I was thinking of using 3M 5200 Marine sealant since it works great on anything exposed to the elements.

Generator hasn't been run in 7 years so I'm gonna pull the tanks and clean them followed by cleaning out the lines. Anything else to consider on the generator itself since it has been sitting? I was considering pulling the carb and cleaning but maybe just see how it runs once I supply fresh gas?

Trailer tires are in good shape but might consider new ones just to be safe. What do you recommend for brands? They're 235/80 16E.

I haven't read about balancing trailer tires but thought it would be a good idea given the loads and long distance towing. Do you balance your trailer tires?

For any fellow Floridians...what do you do to combat the heat in the summer when its not in use? Its gonna be stored outside. Ive read you should keep the fridge powered so sediment doesn't build up from settling. I was thinking about running a small portable ac unit to keep the temp down.

Thanks for any advice,
Ken
KeysHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2018, 09:55 AM   #2

Welcome and congrats. Will likely need to replace genie carburetor as it likely gummed up. Also, you can’t go by how tires look. You need to check the date code on the tires. If they are 5 years or older please replace before using your trailer. Yes, I balance my tires. Also you will want a tire pressure monitoring system on those new tires.
Old 04-10-2018, 10:11 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by raineman View Post
Welcome and congrats. Will likely need to replace genie carburetor as it likely gummed up. Also, you can’t go by how tires look. You need to check the date code on the tires. If they are 5 years or older please replace before using your trailer. Yes, I balance my tires. Also you will want a tire pressure monitoring system on those new tires.
Thats why I ask questions here. Just learned about tire date codes. Awesome and thanks, never knew of such a thing.
The tpms is a great idea and I see a few on amazon at various prices. Which system do you recommend? valve stem cap style or mounted to rim?
Old 04-10-2018, 10:52 AM   #4

I have been very happy with TST 507. TST is a site advertiser. Has saved my bacon twice. I went with the pass through valve stem version. I change batteries once a year on the sensors. Works very well.
Old 04-11-2018, 09:14 PM   #5

Pulled the trigger

They make a self leveling and “standard” dicor, the self leveling working great on the roof, the non leveling works well where the the roof rubber meets the seems on the side of the trailer.

Personally I like sikaflex 221, I’m in the process of a complete reseal and plan to use it on my front cap as well

I would service the gen and go from there

We live in Oregon so cant really help on the heat...but can if you ever get water damage [emoji23]

Congrats again!
Old 04-20-2018, 07:59 PM   #6

Quote:
Tha carb was gummed up but i cleaned it out and the gen purrs like a kitten. Not sure what the hub bub is all about with these carbs. All I read was that they cant be rebuilt......the only part that is different from a normal carb is the solenoid at the bottom of the bowl and it can be cleaned. All jets and passages are accessible so theres no reason to not rebuild these carbs. In fact, this carb was simple compared to others with accelerator pumps and needle valves.

New tires dropped off by Amazon today so now I just have to decide on a TPMS system.
Old 04-20-2018, 08:10 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clomok View Post
They make a self leveling and “standard” dicor, the self leveling working great on the roof, the non leveling works well where the the roof rubber meets the seems on the side of the trailer.

Personally I like sikaflex 221, I’m in the process of a complete reseal and plan to use it on my front cap as well

I would service the gen and go from there

We live in Oregon so cant really help on the heat...but can if you ever get water damage [emoji23]

Congrats again!
Yeah, I just has to keep reading to find that there are two types....self leveling and non leveling. I used the non leveling and this stuff is handy since its dries rapidly and the repair can be completed in minutes. Definitely an item to bring along in case of leaks.
Old 04-20-2018, 08:41 PM   #8

Quote:
I have been very happy with TST 507. TST is a site advertiser. Has saved my bacon twice. I went with the pass through valve stem version. I change batteries once a year on the sensors. Works very well.
Im researching TPMS's and theres alot out there. what made you go with the TST 507?
The thru flow design appears bulkier. Did you rebalance after installation?

Tags
led