Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-30-2018, 10:05 AM   #1

Putting a snowmobile in a toy hauler

Has anyone hauled a snowmobile in their toy hauler? If so, did you need to build anything else into the ramps or floor? Or just ride it right up the ramp. And how did you secure it?

I'm also curious if it's reasonable to haul a jetski in a toy hauler. And if you could just back down a boat ramp, drop the ramp and lower the jetski into the water. And vice versa for loading it back up. Or if dropping the ramp into the water would cause any problems with it.

Thanks!
avigil is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2018, 03:38 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by avigil View Post
Has anyone hauled a snowmobile in their toy hauler? If so, did you need to build anything else into the ramps or floor? Or just ride it right up the ramp. And how did you secure it?

I'm also curious if it's reasonable to haul a jetski in a toy hauler. And if you could just back down a boat ramp, drop the ramp and lower the jetski into the water. And vice versa for loading it back up. Or if dropping the ramp into the water would cause any problems with it.

Thanks!
I take pretty good care of my stuff so if I had to haul a snowmobile I’d figure out a way to protect the ramp and garage floor from the track. Like 1/2 inch plywood with carpet for traction on the ramp. Spin the track on the ramp and chew it up without some kind of protection. Just tie it down like an ATV.

I wouldn’t want to submerge my ramp to launch a jet ski. You might be able to make a cradle for the jet ski with heavy PVC and use wheel barrow wheels on it. Use the D rings in the garage floor to secure a hand or power winch to pull it up and lower it down the ramp. Would need to protect the floor and hinge area of the ramp with a piece of plywood or something to keep cable/rope from damaging your rig.

Just gotta get creative.
Joe11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 03:50 PM   #3

Considering what my garage floor looks like after all the snow melts out of the track, Im not sure you would want all that water in your hauler. Maybe yours has all rubber floor or something, but if the water migrated into the living area, it wouldnt be nice.
Old 12-02-2018, 09:07 AM   #4
Community Moderator

decks

There are reports out there from deck failures just by leaving the deck down during rain. Just think of what kind of water intrusion would result from putting the deck in the water.

I have talked to others that have to have their decks worked on or replaced because of water intrusion issues. So I would not place a deck in the water just because these things are not completely sealed. Water will get in some place and cause damage to the deck/ramp.
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 09:17 AM   #5

After having a few sled trailers, no way I would pull a sled into my unit. My sled trailer has these installed, SUPERCLAMP.NET | Industry's Leading Tie-Down Systems for Snowmobiles, ATVs, UTVs, ARGOs, Spyder and Super-Glides , with out glides, carbides will not only cut thru the flooring, but they will bite so hard it will be a back breaker dragging your sled in and out.
And yes there will be à large puddle of water to dispose of.
Brentw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 11:30 AM   #6

Thanks everyone! So, to summarize, is this about correct?

1. Wouldn't really work for a jetski. Unless I had something separate to load the jetski into the water and had a small trailer or something that could be secured in the TH.
2. For a snowmobile, I would need to install some type of glide up the ramp and into the floor.

I'm going to continue to do more research. Think it's a longer term thing. I wouldn't actually purchase either for at least a couple years. I just wanted to start learning what could be possible.
Old 12-03-2018, 05:41 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by avigil View Post
Thanks everyone! So, to summarize, is this about correct?

1. Wouldn't really work for a jetski. Unless I had something separate to load the jetski into the water and had a small trailer or something that could be secured in the TH.
2. For a snowmobile, I would need to install some type of glide up the ramp and into the floor.

I'm going to continue to do more research. Think it's a longer term thing. I wouldn't actually purchase either for at least a couple years. I just wanted to start learning what could be possible.
I think you missed the part about all the water that will be inside your camper after all the snow melts out of the track and under carriage. That is unless where you snowmobile, there is no snow to get in the under carriage.lol
Old 12-16-2018, 08:06 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by winniman View Post
I think you missed the part about all the water that will be inside your camper after all the snow melts out of the track and under carriage. That is unless where you snowmobile, there is no snow to get in the under carriage.lol
For a snowmobile, I meant that it would be more complicated than just loading and securing the snowmobile. There would need to be a slide set up. And as you pointed out some way to make sure that a bunch of water doesn't get on the floor.

I think with research and creativity, I might be able to get it set up. But this would be a minimum of 2 years from now. So, I'm going to continue to ask around to see if anyone has done something similar. It may end up not working out, but I had to ask. If there are other things that would be problematic, please let me know.

Nobody has mentioned it, but the weight should be fine. BTW, I have never owned a snowmobile or loaded one onto a truck. So, I'm just in the initial phases of research on this.
Old 12-16-2018, 10:10 AM   #9

Dont underestimate the statement about the carbides cutting into the floor. Also the studs on the track can cause lots of damage. I have seen guys with box liners in their halftons, cut through the plastic box liner. I also have seen guys spin the crap out of their tailgates spinning the track trying to get on the truck. I know lots of people who screw plywood down to their concrete floors in their garages to minimize the damage from carbides and studs. You might want to consider this if you are going to go this route.
Old 12-17-2018, 05:26 AM   #10

I saw some u tube on Lakota toyhaulers. Bey evidently built some specifically for sleds. Had some track on ramp, floor then out a nother door mid trailer for drive in drive out set up. They had a big heater set up for snow melt and dry up. Was pretty cool set up for that side of the industry.
Wild Card is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 07:31 AM   #11

I'll post a pic of my sled trailer to give you an idea of glide set ups. Another issue is the sled smoke, my sled is new, with an etec engine, and a bit of warm up and a couple of revs to exit will leave your garage full of 2 stroke smoke.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160325_134128.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	277.5 KB
ID:	229269  
Brentw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 09:16 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Card View Post
I saw some u tube on Lakota toyhaulers. Bey evidently built some specifically for sleds. Had some track on ramp, floor then out a nother door mid trailer for drive in drive out set up. They had a big heater set up for snow melt and dry up. Was pretty cool set up for that side of the industry.
Awesome. Maybe this is a 10 years from now future project for me then when I get my next toy hauler.

Thanks everyone for helping out with my curiosity.

Tags
toy hauler