Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-03-2013, 10:29 AM   #1

Quality concerns (general)

I'm in the market for my first toy hauler and doing review searches. I'm not trying to bad mouth any particular brand, but there are a couple of manufacturers that seem to jump out with more than their share of bad reviews. Again, I'm only listing these two to see what others have to say, not start a flame session as I'm sure there are owners of these two brands that love theirs...

So, mostly I guess just trying to see if anyone can account for why these two manufacturers seem to be problems. The two that stick out for me, are Forest River and Keystone. Only interested in 2011 models and newer, so if there were problems in the past, and the companies have turned things around and gotten their acts together...well, this is the type of thing I'm hoping to resolve.

Again, don't want to step on toes...just looking to make the best choice in quality.

Regards.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2013, 12:47 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
It may be that unhappy owners are more likely to post reviews than happy owners and Keystone and Forest River produce a hugh portion of the toy haulers sold. There certainly are units I would consider of higher quality than these two, Exel comes to mind, but the price will also be much higher. Good luck in your search and as you are doing, work hard on your research.

Old 07-03-2013, 01:36 PM   #3

I have an eclipse attitude 26lfs I haven't had any problems luv it well built nice inside has not let me down little expensive but you get what you pay for is what people say I will stick with these haulers done me well
Old 07-03-2013, 01:54 PM   #4

We had a Forest River American Eagle that we kept for 7 years before going to a motorhome, never had any issues with it. Only reason we traded was to go the motorhome route.
Old 07-05-2013, 04:17 AM   #5

Your thought process is correct AND if you do have a problem, most dealers have poor repair work and can be negligent…so buying from a reputable dealer would be one idea, but to be honest I have NO faith in dealers for cars, rv's or trucks…
I would look at the rating of the hitch…axles need to be good riding axles not cheap rubbish…slide out mechanisms…frame manufacturer…and definitely recommend an aluminum frame roof and walls over steel floor frame…storage very important for us…enclosed undercarriage that is insulated & heated…water tank capacity minimum 100 gallons (120-150 is better)…Grey Tank minimum 75 gallon (90 is better)…Black Tank minimum 50 gallons…Fuel tank minimum 35 gallons for generator…24k hitch with air ride...
Slides out do they seal properly when out?…when closed?
Tires and rims need to be of good quality…I had one tire blow out and it blew the rim in half (Made in China cr@p)…cheap china tires = trouble…
Dual Pane windows and highest Insulation R Factor should be high on the list…
Vent on the water tanks have been known to be disconnected after building or damaged and they leak..soooo when you fill the water tank full the first time, you find out that water is leaking into the undercarriage and not coming out the vent…I would make the dealer fill it full and check it…
I would also get eye level on the floor and insure no "bumps or humps" are visible as this could be a staple or screw sticking up and after a little walking over it, it will show through the flooring…I would definitely raise and lower ALL windows and insure they don't jam up/down as this will also show a framing problem…door fitment is important as well so I would check how well they seal and open/close…
Just a few ideas from experience…buy quality from a reputable dealer that are known for their service…
We have almost 100,000 miles on our Komfort Karry-All and have gain some experience during our travels...
Old 07-06-2013, 12:30 AM   #6

Well, we have narrowed our choice down to either a Voltage 3905 or a Road Warrior (RW400). Still have to decide on type of hitch to use (slider obviously, but not sure if the automatic is worth almost a grand more than a good non-automatic slider. If anyone has any concerns or advice specifically about these two choices, please share.

Thanks.
Old 07-06-2013, 12:41 PM   #7

Hello,

We are also new to fifth wheel towing and have always had TT's. I decided to buy the rails and mounting kit from etrailer.com and bought the slider hitch from a buddy used. I looked at several and decided I liked the husky slider because it had good reviews but it was comparable in price and had the pin that shows when you are actually locked in and also it had a single hook style lock for the king pin. I didn't like the idea of the bar lock or the double jaws for locking. To me having grown up and worked around tractors, trucks, and machinery I felt it was more secure having a single hook that locked the kingpin. Having driven large truck trailers I really liked the pun that shows me the kingpin is locked. I have seen people think they are locked before to find out a mile down the road they weren't.

Just my opinion and others may disagree but so far I like the husky I bought. I did make sure I bought the hitch with the four way pivot head just to put less stress on the trailer and truck frame if on uneven conditions.

Did the install my self with the custom mount brackets from etrailer, took me a couple hours but I only spent 550 for the entire hitch and rails. Only had to drill 4 holes in my bed with this kit as it used the holes already in the frame for the rest of the mounting.

I have a 2006 dodge mega cab but they have the kits for most if not all makes and models.
Old 07-06-2013, 03:17 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNGento View Post
Well, we have narrowed our choice down to either a Voltage 3905 or a Road Warrior (RW400). Still have to decide on type of hitch to use (slider obviously, but not sure if the automatic is worth almost a grand more than a good non-automatic slider. If anyone has any concerns or advice specifically about these two choices, please share.

Thanks.

I'm thinking you mean Voltage 3950? We sell more V3950's than any other toy hauler by a long shot. The bath and a half layout really works well. I also rarely see them in for service...so I take that as a good sign!

The only problem we ever really had with the Voltage line was their all-in-one remote control had a relatively high failure rate, but they discontinued that as an option so shouldn't be a concern if you are looking to buy new.

As far as the hitch...I assume you are towing with a shortbed truck? Longbed you shouldn't need a slider, and even with a 6.5' bed you can get away without one....just be careful.
BrianExplore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:20 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianExplore View Post
I'm thinking you mean Voltage 3950? We sell more V3950's than any other toy hauler by a long shot. The bath and a half layout really works well. I also rarely see them in for service...so I take that as a good sign!

The only problem we ever really had with the Voltage line was their all-in-one remote control had a relatively high failure rate, but they discontinued that as an option so shouldn't be a concern if you are looking to buy new.

As far as the hitch...I assume you are towing with a shortbed truck? Longbed you shouldn't need a slider, and even with a 6.5' bed you can get away without one....just be careful.
No, meant the 3905...and we just sprung and bought it. None of the dealers in this area ever had a 3950 to look at. We didn't feel the need for the 1/2 bath, so the extra living space of the 3905 was a plus...otherwise, the two models were pretty much the same I believe. We will take delivery as soon as we can get the hitch installed. Really excited. I think we will go with the in bed rails rather than the under the bed rails as we don't haul much and don't think the rails will be an issue.

Thanks to all for all the advice.

Tags
quality