Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-02-2005, 05:11 PM   #29

WE MADE IT....
Hey everyone, we made it back to Apple Vally last night and docked the RV at its little home. To my delight, my buddy whos house it stays at, is putting in a 30 amp line for me.
Ok, here is the chain of events,

Trip to Kansas, no problems.
Staying in Kansas, No Problems.
Trip back to California,
Stopped in El Reno Ok for first refuel,
Noticed that center roof vent had come open (it faces the front of the RV rather than the back..??) and now damaged. While pulling out of gas station, the RV swung about 1 foot over in the front, hit a paper towel dispenser and damaged my Refrige cover on the out side of RV and also damaged the Generators exhaust mount. Bone Head I am....
Pulled over to a empty lot and did emergency repairs on Vent. Check Generators operations, all worked no exhaust leaks or problems. Will need to replace Refer cover but just minor damage.
Leave El Reno west on I-40. Stop at Indian Trading post 20 miles west of El Reno and spent money. Leave trading post west I 40 and got 4 miles and Transmission goes south. Get towed back by Denny Moore Towing (AAA). Stay in front of Moores for the night. Truck goes to Dodge next day and RV gets towed to RV park by F-150.
Thursday getting ready to get underway again, Dodge fixed, cost, 100 bucks Warranty paid for rebuilding of Tranny. Notice damage to front right of RV where we believe the F-150 turning sharp must of damaged it. Nothing major but work to be done. Fixed with clear Duct tape. On the road, west I-40 out of El Reno, Again. Called ahead to RV park in Amarillo and was treated great, see past posting on them. Weather was VERY windy out of the north and very cold.
Got under way at 530am Friday morning, great weather. On first fuel stop in New Mexico (very rough roads west bound I40 in East New Mexico) found that the front, left of the 5th wheel hitch was seperating. I will have to show pix. It looks like Weekend Warrior didn't use a big enough screw to fasten it up. I thing it came apart from the rough road and bad assembly. Pushed to Apple Vally by 11pm Local time. Stopped just out of Flag Staff at the Grand Canyon Harley-Davidson.

If I keep the 5ver,, (thinking of getting a coach and a small trailer for toys) I would like to put shocks on it. Some how cover the front with a tear-a-way plastic because the bugs are,, well, its yellow when it should be white right now.
Put a camera on the back with a link to the cab of the truck. I don't mind the Big trucks drafting with me, its the little cars that I can't see. I always have a CB for open road traveling and always make friends with the Truckers. They are always ready to help and frindy with me.

That was a long drive yesterday, my but was whipped. Wasn't falling asleep at the wheel or anything like that, but, when we shut down, man, I was asleep in seconds. Driving the 5er for over 8-10 hrs is going to be my limit. Its no longer fun.

Ok, that is the longer than short but not the full story...

2006 Ford King Ranch F350DW 4X4 w/Towpac 6.0
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2005, 07:58 PM   #30

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Aviator Ok, that is the longer than short but not the full story...
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Del, Can't wait to hear the full story
at the campfire.

As far as the tranny goes.. your next rig
has gotta have an Allison.

Previous Rig: 2012 Itasca 30'
56Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 04:58 PM   #31

That is it right there bud, The Allison,, with the Cummins eng. The true combo of power and being rock solid bullet proff. I am looking at the Alpine rigs but, Vickie is pushing on my breaks. Someing about paying off all of my bills first. No fun at all .
When is the next get together, I havent see you guys in a year now, major bummer!!!
We will have to make it soon.

Old 04-03-2005, 06:53 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Glad you made it back Aviator. Sorry about the wisecrack, thought your trans went out on the way out, not the way back. You just need a bigger truck for that 3705. Be interested to hear about the hitch since you might say I have a vested interest, you know, just in case mine needs to be inspected. And yes, eastern NM has been pretty rough for a while, hope they get it fixed soon.
Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 07:32 PM   #33

Sorry it took a couple of months to get back to ya.. I haven't had a chance to have the rig out with all the going on's and what not. The hitch is fine. It is where the front pannel is attached to the bottom of the front. There is a strip across that is just fastend to a wood piece and WW didn't use long enough screws. I might just have the front pannel replaced as I am don't think I could fix it with out the repair failing. Who knows.
We are heading out this weekend to give the 2 A/C units a good work out.

Old 06-28-2005, 07:45 PM   #34

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
good to hear from you guys again
Two AC's are our preference as well.
Have a good weekend!!
Mike
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 07:02 AM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Aviator

Good to see you back on here. Guess that Tranny is still holding up? Thanks for the info on the hitch, glad to hear it was something a little simpler.

Well, we get to check out the Eastern NM roads in a few weeks so I'll let you know if they are any better since your trip. We'll look forward to meeting you in Moab.
Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote