Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-14-2005, 10:49 AM   #1

Hey Tom,
We are going to be towing the 5'er to Kansas from here in Socal starting next Monday night. Do you have any long distance tips for me? We are going to hauling the Harleys (weight is the same as having 2 quads and a dirt bike)about 1400miles.
Your input please as well as anyone else who wants to chime in. We will be taking I-40 to OKC then north.
Later

2006 Ford King Ranch F350DW 4X4 w/Towpac 6.0
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2005, 10:49 AM   #2

Hey Tom,
We are going to be towing the 5'er to Kansas from here in Socal starting next Monday night. Do you have any long distance tips for me? We are going to hauling the Harleys (weight is the same as having 2 quads and a dirt bike)about 1400miles.
Your input please as well as anyone else who wants to chime in. We will be taking I-40 to OKC then north.
Later

Old 03-15-2005, 03:25 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Make sure you carry plastic for fuel!

Other than that little tidbit, what did you have in mind? I40 is pretty good all the way except for a few places, American RV on the west mesa in Albq is a great RV park, (a little expensive). The Sundown RV park in Amarillo is cheap, a good place to stop for the night. Dinner in Albq at Garduno's is hard to beat for Southwestern NM mexican food, get the green chile sauce on everything! Take the Kilpatrick turnpike around OKC if you can afford it, good road. Otherwise take I40 to I44 to I35 at OKC.

Well, hope that covers what you are asking, otherwise, give it another shot and I'll try and be more specific.

If you decide to come on over to Tulsa, yell and I'll give you a spot for the night rent free.
Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 04:06 PM   #4

Thanks for the info on OKC. Been a few years for me. When I was in the navy I would drive from Long Beach to Wichita in 20hrs.
What info on the WW should I be worried about. Brakes are great. Lugs are tight. Air is at 55lbs per tire. Thats 5lb under max. Load is lighter than normal and looks fairly equal on the wheels. 60% up front and 40% in the butt. I think I have a bit more up front but not much.
Hitch is good, clean, and fresh grease. Lights are brite. Heck, even the propane and genset is online. I need some beer.
Have I missed anything?

Old 03-15-2005, 04:48 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Hey man, turn the frig on, put the beer in and hit it. Sounds like a good time to me. I'll get to bring mine out in a couple of weeks. How long are you going to be in Kansas and where?
Old 03-15-2005, 07:07 PM   #6

about a week. We will be in Argonia.. 20 miles west of Wellington Ks.
That is the little town I grew up in.

Old 03-16-2005, 05:39 AM   #7

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
spare tires and complete set of tools (as I learned a month ago). With as many tires as all of us now run (6 on trailer, 4 or 6 on truck) I carry a compressor or at least a filled air can.

how's the rain between CA and OK along the I-40? When we used to ride to CO every year, we would sometimes take the southern route I8 and then take I666 north just to stay out of the addmittedly more lush rainforest of I40.
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 12:50 PM   #8

Hey FatDog, How ya doing.
Always have tools and spare. I have a wrench dedicated to tire changing. When I check my tires pressure, the spare is checked just the same. I'm the "Tim Taylor" of RV's when it comes to tools..
We will now be departing this saturday and rail is the forcast. No problem, that way I don't need to wash the RV before leaving.
Hows the 63 holding out?
Del

Old 03-16-2005, 01:30 PM   #9

The '63 is quite an enjoyable little beast. A few buddies and myself fab a number of bikes and accordingly my '63 is also going thru a retro.
I have an 8 over Paughco frame with single downtube and some 18" over very narrow springer forks and am making anything else I can't beg, borrow, or appropriate. I'm hatching a very narrow, z-bar, no front brake, solo sprung seated rigid. I will post snaps as soon as i charge my cam-battery. I have a couple springer chops.
Have a good Kansas, and keep track of how many of the states you pass thru have more or less toyHaulers then others. I was back in Kansas CITY a few months ago and although it might just have been the BigCity that i was locked into, i didn't see a whole lot of 'haulers. I'd like to know what states have how many and what seems to be their favorite models.

good time,
Mike
Old 03-16-2005, 05:03 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Have a good trip out Aviator and don't feed the bears.

How are you Mike, didn't you get a new WW, how's it doing?
Old 03-16-2005, 05:57 PM   #11

Hi Tom,
the one horrible thing about the dealer telling you that the new WW you just ordered is going to take a couple months to make is that apparently it IS going to take a couple months to make.
Every Saturday i go and sit in one of his demo units for a few minutes, maybe this Saturday I'll go and take a nap in it, think that might encourage him to speed my order up ??
Its getting there ...
I'll annoy you guys with pics as soon as it arrives..
Talk to you later Tom,
Mike
Old 03-16-2005, 06:00 PM   #12

Hey Mike,
They are making the thing just up the road from ya. Start going up there and sitting in them. On just might end up being yours.
Looking forward to the pix.
Del

Old 03-29-2005, 06:09 PM   #13

Hey Tom,
We are currently in El Reno Ok,,, broke down. Tranny took a major dump today with all of the wind. Not sure what is wrong with it yet. We are currently parked outside the Tow yard but they are going to move the 5er to a RV park in morning. Truck is then going to Dodge. I do hope they honor the 9yr/90k warranty. If not, well, im out some major bucks.
Will keep you up to date.
Aviator & Aviators Lady.

Old 03-30-2005, 04:57 AM   #14

Del,
sorry to hear the bad news.
Hopefully the warranty gets things up and going quickly.
If you need any help I could see if I can help, I've had my name on TheDieselStop's call-for-help-list and receive calls now and then from people in SoCal and I'll bet there are some guys from that neck of the woods on the list who might be able to offer a hand if you need a tow or tech help.
sorry, good luck,
Mike