Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-29-2007, 02:30 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Does the newer ones have a positive catch to hold the couch up against the wall or do they still use the 6" hooks with the eye?

I've been trying to change out mine to a positive latch after having one fall while towing empty and haven't found the perfect thing for the job yet.

Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2007, 02:30 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Does the newer ones have a positive catch to hold the couch up against the wall or do they still use the 6" hooks with the eye?

I've been trying to change out mine to a positive latch after having one fall while towing empty and haven't found the perfect thing for the job yet.

Old 08-29-2007, 04:51 PM   #3

Hi Tom,

I don't know how the "new" WW's latch the couch, my '06 is almost a classic now.

My '06 still uses the one 6" hook and eye latch. I'd like to add a second hook on the other side for insurance. I was thinking of using a chain and hook to do the job. While I've never had a problem, the one latch just doesn't seem secure enough. Your story confirms my suspicions.

Wes
high desert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 05:58 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
I agree Wes, they don't look too strong but I don't want you to get the wrong idea. Mine didn't pull out of the wall, the hook jumped out of the eye, twice, same one. Second time it broke the board that attaches the couch to the wall, got that fixed, now want to make sure that doesn't happen again. Guess if I'd quit taking the trailer on trips empty I wouldn't have a problem. Happens to be one of the rear ones too, the ones that get the most bouncing empty.

I have looked at adding a second hook but I think if you check, there isn't a stud in the wall where you need it to add another hook, at least in mine thats the case.
Old 08-31-2007, 12:22 PM   #5

How about using one of the "Safety hooks" for gates - the kind that have a little spring slide that prevents the hook from coming out of the eye? Not the best for holding the couch up, but at least it won't come unhooked.

BTW - my 08 FB2100 has only one hook. I think I'll replace it this weekend!
Old 08-31-2007, 03:51 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
The safety hook for a gate was what I intended to use but couldn't find one that was 6 inches with the right size of eyes. I figure that the couch needs to be held at just the right distance from the wall or you can have too much bounce which could cause trouble too. That's been my problem, trying to end up with a positive latch with the original distance to the couch maintained.
Old 09-04-2007, 08:10 AM   #7

Tom, couldn't you use a piece of 1/8" wire cable with the crimps that allow you to put a loop on each end of the cable and connect one end to the type of hook you want to use and the other end to the existing eyelet in the wall? By useing the cable and crimps, you could get whatever distance you need from the wall to the couch.

TB

WW FS2300
twinbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 05:20 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Thanks TB, I thought about using cable but forgot about using the crimps. I tried using the cable clamps and that didn't work due to the short space.

I ended up using a snap type with a link and a different eye, works but it would be nice to use something simpler. I'll take a look at the crimp idea. One other thing, I was trying to set it up so all the hanging stuff was on the bed instead of the wall, less noise when walking inside the trailer without the stabilizers down.
Old 09-07-2007, 08:54 PM   #9

hey Tom, my '07 was the same way,the hook came unhooked at the dealer right after the pdi and they had to replace the whole couch. it came un- hooked again but i had our bikes inside so it didn't get to far. i went to Ace hardware and picked up about 3 ft of 1" nylon strap and the plastic clips(like on shopping cart seat belts),use 2 screws in wall stud and 2 in bottom of couch. so far have not had any problems. i thought i had a pic. of it but i don't. i'll get some in the morning and post them so you can see.
Old 09-07-2007, 09:59 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Sounds good Spooner, look forward to the picts.
Old 09-08-2007, 06:37 AM   #11

here are a few pic's of my couch mod.

and here is one i did to give my new flat panel some safety
Old 09-09-2007, 07:30 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Thanks for the picts Spooner. I think from the looks there that your couchs are placed different than mine but your thoughts are appreciated, I went out and bought some tiedowns as a safety precaution that I can use across the couches. The last thing I want is for the bed to fall down on the Jeep. Appreciate the info!