Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 11-29-2011, 10:48 PM   #1
Vintage RV Owners Club

Currently we are without an RV. Previous RV was a 36 Holiday Rambler Imperial 5th wheel, however I work two jobs, and we were only using the rig once or twice a year. A few years back we made the decision to sell it. I have a pretty awsome TV. It is a 2002 F-350 4x4 Crewcab Dually long bed with the 7.3 Powerstroke, 6 speed stick, and 4:10 gears. It is equiped with a 12,500 reciever, a 36K gooseneck and a 19K 5th wheel hitch. We bought the truck new, and it is a garage baby with 43K miles on the clock. It is still like new. We tow a 1995 24 ft Pace American enclosed race car trailer that we transport our all original 1986 Pontiac Trans AM with 29K actual miles to car shows in. The weight of the trailer with the car is 7K. We also tow a 5K boat if we are going camping near water. Currently I have the race car trailer fitted with a 6K Onan propane genset, a Coleman 13,500 BTU A/C unit with heat strips, and dual 30 lb aluminum bottles on the tongue. The trailer is finished on the inside and insulated. It has no windows. For camping we have spread out a piece of carpet, placed a porta potty in the corner, used coolers for food, and cook outside. We use a blow-up air mattress on the floor. It is more comfortable then a tent, but certainly not an RV. My first thought is a truck camper. We could still tow the race car trailer or the boat. My second thought is to finish the race car trailer into sort of a toy hauler. I will have to make sure that the available floor space is 18 ft as that Trans AM is a big car. The major problem with converting the RC trailer is that we cannot tow the boat. I thought about a toy hauler, around 28 feet, and then tow the boat behind it. Most don't have a heavy enough chassis to support the weight of the boat trailer tongue, and most don't have enough garage space to accomidate the car. Another idea is to buy a new 28 foot goose neck enclosed car hauler with the HD package. Some are built with HD chassis, and 7K axles. That should certainly be heavy duty enough to sustain the weight of the boat behind. That trailer would convert nicely to a toy hauler. I even thought of an older class A. I found a 91 Holiday Imperial 36 with a Ford 460 engine. It is a tag axle. I am not sure if this coach will tow a 7K trailer with much success. Ideas? Thanks.

gcsprayjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2011, 11:56 PM   #2
Vintage RV Owners Club
This stupid computer put four paragraphs into one in the first post. Sorry. I will try to correct it from home in the AM.
gcsprayjr is offline   Reply With Quote