Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 06-12-2012, 10:01 AM   #1
Questions for Owners

We are thinking of pulling the trigger on a new Voltage 3950. We have never owned a 5th wheel of any variety before and Voltage is approx. 42'. My question is for those who own 40+ footers, how do you get these monsters backed into a pad at a campground. We had a 32' Class A pusher and went to Fort Wilderness at Disney often and backing it into the pad was easy. But I am looking at the amount of maneuvering room and wonder how in the world it can be done with a big 5er! With the F350 and the toy hauler, I would be at approx. 62'. No problem for pull through spots but every campground I want to visit is "back in only". Any advice or comments?

hitman007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2012, 11:57 AM   #2
I am pulling a Raptor 3602 with a 07 Dodge 4dr long bed srw which is about the same length. If you can find a spot with so one in it in front of the spot you are assigned it's pretty easy. If you are going to back a lot then a spotter with a walkie talkie and a good set of mirrors is must have. Go to a mall and practice, use some parking cones or construction barrels to make it real. As coach always said "practice, practice, practice"

Fred Kenna and Tag the Whippet
07.5 Dodge 3700 QCSRWLB 6.7 Quadzilla Commander gauges
2015 Alpha Gold 3902shmc 09 Road Glide Orange!
Fred P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 07:42 PM   #3
40+ ft. is not for the weak, if you are good with a trailer you will be fine. if you are not you will get good or get rid of it. I highly recomend a rearview camera with audio and a good spoter for tighter spaces. I could see where my Voltage 3795 could overwhelm some.
asuperheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 10:44 AM   #4
Experience comes wit time... As I was told as a kid pratice makes perfect...lol
The Williams Family-Northeast, MD 21901
1999 Foretravel U320C-Gray, Black Mix W/ White
41 FT 9"-M11 450 H.P Cummins-1550 Ft Lbs of TQ
travelgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 08:20 PM   #5
We have a 45 ft TH and usually get pull thru sites to make my life easier. But sometimes a back-in is all that's available and we've never had a major issue. Some of the back in sites had obstacles like telephone poles and trees we had to maneuver around or were just tight, but when that happens we just take our time and adjust if need be. We upgraded from a 37 footer and I love the 45 footer waaaay more!!! Just be careful about turning too tight on a hard surface, those axles get to twisting pretty good.
2012 GMC Sierra 3500 CC DRW 4x4 Duramax
2012 Excel Wild Cargo 41GKE
TEAMTJ is offline   Reply With Quote