Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-15-2017, 06:47 AM   #1

Ramp Modification for Outback 1310TB?

I have a Keystone Outback 310tb with forward garage/bunk house. I want to squeeze my Goldwing in, but ramp is too short and steep. It high centers bad at doorway! Anyone with safe, sane, economical ramp/door extension ideas that work?
Modersical is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2017, 01:05 PM   #2

First thought is that you don't need an 8 ft wide ramp, 4 ft should be sufficient.

Second idea is rather than a longer ramp, maybe there is a different way to solve the problem. You may be able to prevent high centering by adding a curved 'ramp' inboard of the hinge. That way the front tire won't have a sharp angle change, but will continue to rise and then gradually roll back down to the garage floor.

If building a long, curved ramp seems too difficult, then another option would be a smaller 'speed bump' ramp. This would also be installed on the garage floor but placed further from the hinge so that just before the bike high centers, the front tire rides up the 'speed bump' to gain clearance.

In either case, the height of the ramp must be less than the normal bike clearance so you don't create a second high center situation.

More difficult would be to actually build a ramp extension. And there are many ways to do this, but they would be bulky, heavy and require moving and storing them.
dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 09:42 AM   #3

Ramp Modification for Outback 1310TB?

Couldn't you just lower your back jacks and raise your front jacks to change the angle of the back ramp? That's what I do to put my Harley in mine.
joker10102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 10:15 AM   #4

Thanks, dayle1, that's great thinking! Will certainly give that a try; in conjunction with whatever I come up with.

No, joker10102. Mine is a side load garage, at front end. And, lowering the jack does not help to any significant degree, plus that throws bottom of ramp out of kilter with ground. I want a flat ramp, side to side; and I want to be able to load & unload with hitch attached.

Contemplating combination fix: 4' wide extension just short of top of ramp door, hinged from top end of stock ramp, inside, so it just hangs down while door/ ramp is closed. When fully opened, I would need jack stands to support the ramp under hinge area. If I raise the hinge area support higher than flat, continuous incline, I can take out some more of the high centering effect at top of stock ramp; a variation of curved (but faceted) ramp dayle1 mentioned. If it still high centers at top, I'll try the old dayle1 speed bump trick to fine tune!

Old 06-19-2017, 10:23 AM   #5

I would send you a picture, but have not figured that out on here.
Old 06-19-2017, 04:40 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modersical View Post
Contemplating combination fix: 4' wide extension just short of top of ramp door, hinged from top end of stock ramp, inside, so it just hangs down while door/ ramp is closed. When fully opened, I would need jack stands to support the ramp under hinge area.
Don't let the extension just hang down, it needs to be secured so it doesn't swing out on a turn and hit the bike. I don't like jack stands in this situation, if the ground is not level, they will be tilted and can easily slip. Maybe use wood blocks, either hollow 6 sided plywood blocks with rubber to prevent slipping or solid cedar blocks (cedar is really light). I use drop offs from cedar beams under my stabilizers and front jacks. Two 12 inch lengths of 4 x 12 screwed together would make a good block or 4 pieces of 2 x12.

Otherwise, sounds like you have a good plan in the works.
dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 05:51 PM   #7

Thanks, dayle1, a work in progress, but still in planning stage. I had been toying with a couple of ideas to secure addition, to not only stop flopping around, but also to help support the weight of the additional ramp, besides the hinges, as I move from one jarring pothole to the next.
Old 06-20-2017, 12:26 PM   #8

Oops

Ya I noticed the positioning of your ramp after looking it up online sorry for my miss speaking. How about using a 2"x6" under the lap of the original ram and your added section under the 2x6 make legs that would fold under similar to a small short saw horse. That should support that approx 900 lb Goldwing
joker10102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 03:26 PM   #9

Check out what this guy did on his th...

Forest River Grey Wolf 19RR Toy Hauler Ramp Extension | RVB Precision

Bet that would work for you. I am pretty much convinced that will be my first mod!
ernster500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 09:29 AM   #10

Very nicely done , ernster500! That is right along with my thinking! Not completely clear on fabrication of supports. I guess they are bolted on at each use? I certainly would not want a prop that would dislodge easily!

Another good idea, suggested by some one, if you needed just a little more clearance, is putting a speed bump up inside garage door, so as the front wheel rides to the higher level, it increases clearance at door jam.
Old 06-29-2017, 06:19 PM   #11

It almost looks like he is using something like this:

https://www.etrailer.com/Camper-Jack...d/AT82298.html

They appear to simply stay on. They maybe "lock" into place while folded down?
ernster500 is offline   Reply With Quote