Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-08-2006, 02:04 PM   #1

Just towed home my new Rage'n and it was very obviious it weighs almost 4K more than my old trailer. New shocks are in order and was looking to see what everyone else uses. I see more good stuff written about the Bilstein's but kind of like the idea of being able to adjust the shock like the Rancho 9000's. Not trying to start a spitting match, just looking for some guidance. The tongue weight on the FS2600 is 1,000 lbs, probably a little less with the equalizer hitch.
And I'm certain any shock will be better than the originals that are on it now.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2006, 02:04 PM   #2

Just towed home my new Rage'n and it was very obviious it weighs almost 4K more than my old trailer. New shocks are in order and was looking to see what everyone else uses. I see more good stuff written about the Bilstein's but kind of like the idea of being able to adjust the shock like the Rancho 9000's. Not trying to start a spitting match, just looking for some guidance. The tongue weight on the FS2600 is 1,000 lbs, probably a little less with the equalizer hitch.
And I'm certain any shock will be better than the originals that are on it now.

Old 07-10-2006, 02:35 PM   #3

I went with the nitro charged skyjackers, mainly due to price. Wife said no to the price of Bilsteins, or I would have gone that way. I have been happy with the skyjackers, and yes, they are way better than the stock ones. Now onto my question for you... are you bouncing down the road, or is the rear end to low? The shocks wont fix any ride hight problems....
Old 07-10-2006, 06:00 PM   #4

Azstroke, sounds like you need air bags, i installed firestone ride right bags......what a difference, The bounce is almost gone, along with the fatique...im not sure how they work with a pull trailer
Old 07-10-2006, 06:56 PM   #5

they work great. I've got those too.
Old 07-10-2006, 07:57 PM   #6

AZ:

Actually, both are the ticket...airbags AND either Bilsteins or RS9000X's...I've had both on my old F250, and what a difference- the airbags helped with the bounce and the leveling, but the Rancho's really firmed up the ride. Whatever you do, DON'T get the onboard selector system with the ranchos'- it's a POS- there's not a dealer within So Cal that will even install it.

That said, I've got the same burning question of whether Ranchos or Bilsteins. Seems as though the only answers you get about either are from those who have either. I've yet to find a bunch of people, here or even on TDS, that have had both, and can definitively answer the question. But there's gotta be one out there...so Please! whoever you are, please pipe up here! Because I know I need to replace mine (with only 15k on them- POS Motorcrafts that somehow someone at Rancho when to bed with the Ford people and came up with an illegitimate child in the process ).

I'm watchin' this thread like a hawk!

Sean
Old 07-10-2006, 08:40 PM   #7

Donahoe Racing Signature. These haul and handle great. Virtually eliminating the freeway bouncing. I had Rancho 9000's on my F-150 towing a 21 ft toy hauler. I like the Donahoes more. Plus I don't have to crawl under to adjust each time I hook up.

Here are the specs:

Donahoe Racing Signature Series Shock Specifications:

- NitroSteel shaft won't chip or rust like chrome shafts.
- Digressive piston design will handle the toughest trail and smooth out the ride on freeway expansion joints.
- 3 decades of Desert Racing suspension tuning behind these shocks.
- Specific valving developed by Donahoe Racing to match each suspension system and your truck, for the best possible suspension performance available today.
- Cylinder bodies are Cad plated then clear powder coated for the best corrosion resistance in the industry.
- Clear coated stainless steel braided reservoir lines.
- Nitrogen charged mono-tube design for extreme cooling capabilities with no fading.
- 2" diameter shock body.
- Application specific length and valving, as well as 12", 14", and 16" travel.
- Lifetime limited warranty.
- Made in the USA.

2006 WW LE3305 Billet
sandjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 08:57 PM   #8

SJ:

Are thse comparable in price to the Ranchos or the Bilsteins? I paid about $100 per shock for the Ranchos...I'm willing to try another brand, but don't need any bling cost added to the bill...still pondering!

Sean
Old 07-11-2006, 05:56 AM   #9

Thanks for all of the replies. My neighbor has rancho's and like them alot. My truck squats about 2" with the trailer hitched, so it's nothing major. Just looking for a better feel going down the road, it that makes any sense. I'll propably do the air bags later. The bank vault is just about empty!!
Old 07-11-2006, 07:30 AM   #10

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WWFan:
SJ:

Are thse comparable in price to the Ranchos or the Bilsteins? I paid about $100 per shock for the Ranchos...I'm willing to try another brand, but don't need any bling cost added to the bill...still pondering!

Sean </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't know the price individually. Mine came as part of the leveling kit package that was about $650 for coil springs, alignment cams, and 4 shocks. At that price I can't see them being over $100 each. Here is the info for Donahoe Racing. Give a call and see if they can hook you up with a dealer by you.

Donahoe Racing Enterprises
2841 E. White Star Ave., Suite E
Anaheim, CA 92806

ph 714.632.3033
fax 714.632.3835

2006 WW LE3305 Billet
sandjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 01:28 PM   #11

&gt;I'm watchin' this thread like a hawk!

Sean, you and me both.
My F350 does a beautiful impression of a dolphin going thru Ventura empty. I even went so far as to put sandbags in the back trying to calm it down.

acjjkamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 06:22 PM   #12

Well I went with the Rancho RS9000X. Still won't answer the question originally posted (Sorry Sean), but will have to be a day and night over the 9 year old OEM's.
Missed the buy 3 get one free sale, but Sam's still had them for about $70 a piece.

It was 116 here today, I may get up real early tomorrow to put them on. Have to take advantage of the cool 93 degree low!!

John
Old 07-15-2006, 08:05 PM   #13

Sorry I missed out on this. I like these threads. Just for kick, I use Fox nitro 2.0 shafts all around(2 per wheel in the front, 1 per wheel in the rear), just in case I feel like I need to jump my 6400lb. F-250 over the wash at Glamis.

Rod

WW LE3505
melon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 02:07 PM   #14

now that i'd want to see Rod

acjjkamp is offline   Reply With Quote