Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 02-01-2007, 05:30 AM   #15
Y'all are forgetting that if a trailer has 15 inch wheels under it, it is very likely that it also has 5200 pound axles. That being said, if you replace the tires and wheels with 16 inchers, the axles become the weak link. Now, what do you want to fail on the road, a tire or a broken axle? Personally especially with a toy hauler I would run from anything that had nothing less than 6000 or even 7000 pound axles. JMHO.

Don and Lorri
2007 Dodge 3500 dually
Resident Dummy.
450Donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2007, 05:32 AM   #16
Not sure a logical man would accept 240 days of shop time as truly "LOGICAL" or acceptable.
Wow DS06: been wondering where you went...wow [again]. 240 days? I think NOT!! Not when it only takes a couple of days to build a brand new from scratch!

Sure hope for you and your family you get it back soon- life's a-wastin' away. Good luck.

WWFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 11:34 AM   #17
Originally posted by 450Donn:
Y'all are forgetting that if a trailer has 15 inch wheels under it, it is very likely that it also has 5200 pound axles. That being said, if you replace the tires and wheels with 16 inchers, the axles become the weak link. Now, what do you want to fail on the road, a tire or a broken axle? Personally especially with a toy hauler I would run from anything that had nothing less than 6000 or even 7000 pound axles. JMHO.
Not Warriors, at least not the wide bodies. They have 6000lbs axles on them.
2006 F350 Tow Boss pulling a 2006 LE3905 Weekend Warrior. Inside Warrior: LS1 Powered LT 5 seater. Go baby Go!!!
lincster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 03:30 PM   #18
Good point about the axles, I'll my documentation then crawl under and check for rating tags.

Still on a slow burn. Dealer still wants $1394 for the "body work repairs". Apparently my time and inconvenience are worth little. Trying to log in to Keystone for their cut.

Not concerned about "who pays" as long as he ain't got my last name!!
2008 F-450 4WD DRW CC, Lariat...all stock & a pulling beast!!!

2007 Raptor 3712
Desert Sailor 06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 07:05 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
My opinion is, you need to provide some squeek to the wheel, in other words, I'd be rasing He??. That, in no way is acceptable. With that said, your tires, if Carlisle, are junk and should not have been on the trailer in the first place. However, my trailer has a triple axle 5200lb axles with D rated 2540 tires. This gives you a 15600 axle and a 15240 tire rating, in my book alright. Remember the pin weight goes on the truck, not on the trailer axles so you have to weight everything and go from there. With my weight, I have 12500 on the trailer and 3200 on the truck.

I don't know when WW changed their axles to 6k as Linc posted but I do know they did so all the newer ones should have them.
2016 Silver Ram 3500 CC Dually, 2011 HitchHiker DA 349 RSB, 2014 Wrangler unlimited Rubicon
Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 02:04 PM   #20

10 Jun Purchase RAPTOR

25 Jun 1st tire delaminates @ mile 682

12 Jul 2nd tire delaminates @ ~mile 5000

25 Jul Ltr to DEALER F – drop off unit – tire issue & 12 warranty issues

03 Aug DEALER F sends email photos of damage to CARLISLE TIRE

17 Aug DEALER F re-sends email of photos, plus repair estimate, purchase order, & receipts

21 Aug Rcv ltr fm CARLISLE Tire denying warranty/damage claim

19 Sep Signed notarized "release of claim" to CARLISLE

21 Sep Rcv six new radial tires at our home

04 Oct Rcv seventh radial tire at our home

06 Oct Pickup RV from DEALER F, family visit at our home. Trailer sits with 5 tires on ground while middle tire right side is repaired. Faulty valve stem/improper inflation

07 Oct Rcv check from CARLISLE TIRE

09 Oct Rcv email stating radius wrap required re-order

10 Oct Send email w/photos of state of unit upon pickup-2 warranty items, 1 tire issue (valve stem), 1 used dirty commode – not happy

10 Oct Rcv email from CARLISLE about tire service at DEALER F

12 Oct Send email request delivery dates for bodywork – "J" wrap, carpet, kitchen stool

17 Oct Rcv email letter of support and apology from General Service Mgr -(Cc: Dealer General Mgr)

17 Oct Rcv email update – no dates. "Try" "Expedite" and "Fast track" key feel good words

24 Oct Rcv email update – "parts shipped, probably in mid next week"
01 Nov Rcv no update – send inquiry to status – offer RAPTOR sell back return option

24 Nov Return RAPTOR to DEALER F for "Final repairs"

01 Dec Sent email expressing extreme displeasure in service performance to date

01 Dec Rcv email stating KEYSTONE "has authorized further repairs"

04 Dec Sent email requesting all emails be copied to home account – ignored

05 Dec Rcv email stating "KEYSTONE will not swap dinette set for table and chairs – original dinette ruined due to water leakage/molding in coach – swap only like item for like item

06 Dec Talk with DEALER F Service General Manager, about table swap – no movement

26 Dec Rcv email (at work ONLY) "Metal work (bodywork) complete – replacing seals in bedroom slide

28 Dec Called KEYSTONE resolved table swap issue – KEYSTONE agrees to swap

08 Jan Rcv email stating "table has been EXPEDITED estimated date of delivery should be late this week"

18 Jan Rcv email "have all parts EXCEPT table and chairs

26 Jan Rcv email "Finishing touches will detail next week"

31 Jan Rcv email "almost everything is complete" & "final parts should be here Friday"

02 Feb Rcv email ltr from Service General Mgr and Dealer General Mgr "We feel this is adequate compensation."-ref to service provided regarding warranty work "DEALER F has paid over 700.00 in freight charges to expedite parts.

Normally these freight charges would be paid by you. [Service Writer] and DEALER F have worked very hard to take care of all your concerns even through the added issues that you brought to our attention in December and through the upgrade you requested to change out the dinette for a free standing table assembly."

05 Feb Sent email response to DEALER F (Service General Mgrand Dealer General Mgr) in summation "It would appear you feel compensation has been made for risk of life to my family, six months of patience while repairs, re-work, and warranty issues were resolved, and inconvenience to my family's quality of life.

I disagree.

I think any logical body of opinion would find this case to be excessive and that fair compensation would be a zero balance owed by the RV owner and an extension of the factory warranty. Keystone will respond tomorrow with the warranty extension (six months requested to reflect unavailable access during repair effort).

I ask you to favorably consider the above recommendation and inform me of the earliest opportunity to pick my RAPTOR or discuss details.

06 Feb Rcv email from DEALER F Service General Manager, General Service Mgr and Corporate General Manager, Dealer General Mgr: I completely understand your frustration and please understand...Foley RV simply has a bill that you authorized and we are unable to release your unit unless payment in full is received.

06 Feb Rcv Fax from DEALER F with work history and bill break down. $300 in shipping charges for probably less than 50 lbs of aluminum that DEALER F often has to form, cut and finish at dealership??? Total bill? $1294 to pick up my 242 day old '07 RAPTOR.

Oh by the way, I'm the second Sailor to have "issues" with this dealer. Both of us have experienced these issues at or close to our transfer dates....when we have no recourse but to pay to be able to execute our orders and not miss the report not later than dates. Isn't THAT a coincidence?? Do I sense a military clause of special in-attention??

REALLY makes me want to be back in Baghdad where "issues" were dealt with differently...."DRIVE OVER IT OR BLOW IT AWAY!"
2008 F-450 4WD DRW CC, Lariat...all stock & a pulling beast!!!

2007 Raptor 3712
Desert Sailor 06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 03:26 AM   #21
I just join the list; I have been visiting for a while but never post it. I have a Raptor 3612DS bought it in November. I spend most of my time on the road; I'm a professional dog handler and spend almost every weekend on the road with the unit.

I too have problems with the tires,. I had all the original 6 tires change by Keystone just on my first trip (2,000 miles/ 2 weeks) they put 15" again but Radial so I thaw my problem was solved. Again at 2,000 mile mark I blew up two tires from the last axle within 1 hour on the road and cold weather (I live in Miami, Fl) Can you imagine in the summer here?. It took me to get home 25 hours for a normal ride of 4 hour. Keystone NEVER called me back to replace them.

I had to go and buy all new rims 16" and 235/85D tires since they never call me back. I can't afford to have an accident with so valuable cargo and I just don't mean money. I had to go back on the road within 3 days of the incident so I had to pay. Now Keystone has been very rude and they offer to give me $700.000 for my trouble and to keep quiet. I have spent well over $3,000.00. Well that is NOT going to work!!!!

My reason for posting is that I have been doing a lot of research and some of the other Toy hauler companies are up grading their tires to all 16' rims with the 235/80 or 235/85 Remember Firestone tires? Not until people starting getting kill it's when something was done. We need to get together as a group and report the problems we are having before some one gets kill. I have a lot of information and the agencies that this need to be reported, (like the national Highway safety) otherwise they will continue getting away with it. I also have a very good lawyer that has win over major companies here in Miami, he will help us (he is also my client) but we need numbers and records.

There have been other cases with Victory Lane but they have corrected the problem to those that have report it (I also have that information) . Most of this Toy Haulers are different manufactures but most of them are under The Thorn Corporation, it seems that they own most of the RV industry. I have been in touch with them.

I have all this information because like I mention I travel all over the US for work and at the shows it's like having big rallies, every one has RV. Now the Toy Haulers are very popular with handler because the big space for the dogs. So since my accidents I have been compiling information from every one with Toy Haulers and so far every one with 15" rims are having problems.

I'm asking the moderator how can we go about to connect all of us? I can post my e-mail to do this privately if it is permissible. We need to get together.

odalys is offline   Reply With Quote