Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-24-2008, 08:48 AM   #1

I find myself wanting to purchase a toyhauler. I have narrowed my decission down to the Keystone Raptor 3712TS or the Wolf Pach 396 made by Forest River. I believe that the Wolf Pach is a new model for them. Anyways, does anybody have any input on the quality of either Keystone or Forest River? Also, any ideas of extra's I should purchase for the 5th Wheel?
explorinchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2008, 08:48 AM   #2

I find myself wanting to purchase a toyhauler. I have narrowed my decission down to the Keystone Raptor 3712TS or the Wolf Pach 396 made by Forest River. I believe that the Wolf Pach is a new model for them. Anyways, does anybody have any input on the quality of either Keystone or Forest River? Also, any ideas of extra's I should purchase for the 5th Wheel?
explorinchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 12:28 PM   #3

Eith can be great or terrible, depending on a lot of factors. Usually both seem to have good reputations for their products. As far as options, the BIGGEST truck you can find!
Old 01-25-2008, 05:52 AM   #4

Explorinchris,

I think you have narrowed down the list too much.

There is a "consumer reports" for RV's. As I have in the past on this forum, I would urge you, or anyone else planning to buy an RV, to get a copy of the RV Consumer's Group ratings guide (CD). The will give you some objective information and ratings on the different models out there. Yes, the guide costs about $80, but that is pretty insignificant when you're going to spend $40,000+ on a fifth wheel. (You may be able to find the guide in some libraries). The RV Consumers Group website is: RV Consumers Group

We have used the guide to purchase our last 3 RV's and found the ratings to be pretty accurate. The RV before we discovered the ratings was a piece of junk and we wish we had known about the guide then. (The guide accurately predicted it was poor in quality.) The two manufacturers you are looking at are not the best. There are models out there that are better rated for the same money with the same features. Unless you're an expert on RV's (which we are not), think about it.

Don't believe anything that RV salespeople tell you and only about half of what RV owners tell you about their rigs. They are not objective after having made a decision and sinking $35,000+ into their rigs. They want to believe they got the best.

Good Luck!

2002 F-350 PSD, CC, 4x4,
cdrcos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 05:10 AM   #5

So far as extras you should purchase, it really depends on how you intend to use the unit. If you are going to boondock more often, consider larger water and waste tanks. A generator is a good investment. Take a look at the weight you are planning on carrying and the axle load. You may want to upgrade the axles. Tires are very important, spend the money and get a "G" rated tire, you will be glad you did. You may want to consider a pin box which has an air bag. If you are hauling heavy disk brakes are a blessing. This list should give you somethings to think about. You may want to post how you are going to use the unit to get some other suggestions from others.
Old 01-27-2008, 06:23 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Consider a second air conditioner too, for that size of trailer it will come in handy.
Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 02:19 PM   #7

I forgot about that cause I added the third one for the bikes
Old 02-03-2008, 04:17 AM   #8

Texas Boomers Club
Just bought a Keystone Raptor 3600 .. 5 days ago. Like the floorplan, quality of the products installed but .. if they have a QA on the assembly line he was asleep when this rig went thru ..4 water leaks, a/c ducts not attached, loose trim, shower not sealed and floor vent not working.

And to top it off .. while driving on I10 in LA. the TV fell off of the shelf and broke the kitchen counter top ..

But I give the dealers credit .. they have bent over backwards to fix any problems ..

I am not unhappy with the rig .. but if I had this many problems with a $50,000 car it would go back to the dealer..
Old 02-03-2008, 04:45 AM   #9

We have a KZ Sporstmen Sportster 35P We have had a few min or problems but the dealer service has been great. This is the bottom of the KZ line but it has done everything we have asked of it. Changes, we made a few. The only real change I would make is a bit larger unit. 37 footer at least but I am sort of limited by pin weight since we have a 1 ton single rear wheel truck.
chickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 05:32 AM   #10

As Tom posted the second air conditioner is a must with a large rig. Mine is a second 15K in the bedroom. Kind of overkill, but when ya add it yourself you can put whatever you want. Besides I like to sleep nice and COOOOOOOOL in the heat and humidity we have down here in the summer.

The generator/fuel station is a very nice addition. I put a apartment size freezer in the toy section of my rig. I also run the A\C when traveling. A cool rig when you arrive where you are going or when you take a driving break is some kind of nice.

For actual build quality I rate the Desert Fox by Northwoods VERY high. They are not "Fluff and glitter" but instead are built for function.

I ran across a heck of a deal on the 3612DS Raptor. (Picture in sig. line) I was planning on ordering a 38 ft Desert Fox. But the Raptor has some things Cathy likes better and with the deal......... I Dooded it! Have not been disappointed!
Old 02-03-2008, 05:37 AM   #11

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by cdrcos:
Explorinchris,

I think you have narrowed down the list too much.

There is a "consumer reports" for RV's. As I have in the past on this forum, I would urge you, or anyone else planning to buy an RV, to get a copy of the RV Consumer's Group ratings guide (CD). The will give you some objective information and ratings on the different models out there. Yes, the guide costs about $80, but that is pretty insignificant when you're going to spend $40,000+ on a fifth wheel. (You may be able to find the guide in some libraries). The RV Consumers Group website is: RV Consumers Group

We have used the guide to purchase our last 3 RV's and found the ratings to be pretty accurate. The RV before we discovered the ratings was a piece of junk and we wish we had known about the guide then. (The guide accurately predicted it was poor in quality.) The two manufacturers you are looking at are not the best. There are models out there that are better rated for the same money with the same features. Unless you're an expert on RV's (which we are not), think about it.

Don't believe anything that RV salespeople tell you and only about half of what RV owners tell you about their rigs. They are not objective after having made a decision and sinking $35,000+ into their rigs. They want to believe they got the best.

Good Luck! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The RV Consumers group doesn't step foot in, own, buy, look at, drive, touch, rent or inspect any of the units they "rate". It's actually one guy who has made a ton of money with his computer on his CD's he sells.

You can get much better and ACCURATE information from forums like these.
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 07:24 AM   #12

i almost got a wolf pack then found a shockwave, by forest river more available options, and i got it for the same price as i was going to get the wolf pack for. also it has an automatic awning.. better stereo..
Old 04-26-2008, 11:34 AM   #13
RNL

I have the Keystone Fuzion and I am very satisfied. This is my first 5'ver and cannot believe it took so long to move up. I looked at alot of TH before deciding on the Fuzion. Most major brands are built somewhat similiar and it is all about the options and comfort.
RNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 04:49 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
RNL

Welcome to the forum! Come back whenever you can.
Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kz-rv