Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-03-2015, 07:19 AM   #15

That's Awesome Mrs. M! I hope you enjoy it. I went to a dealer and checked out a few different models. I looked at Raptor, Road Warrior, Cyclone, and Carbon. These are all super nice! I was surprised how spacious these all are. It's hard to get a real judgement from pictures. Now I'm almost leaning towards Carbon because of the price. It still had all the things I was looking for but for less. Anyone have experience with these ones?

Here's a Carbon. For those who haven't seen one.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2015, 07:09 AM   #16

Hey Jerry is there a video like this for Torque? My husband and I would love to see it.

Old 04-08-2015, 07:10 AM   #17

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie19 View Post
Hey Jerry is there a video like this for Torque? My husband and I would love to see it.
I just checked and yes there is. They have quite a few of them.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-09-2015, 07:22 AM   #18

Thank you!
Old 05-04-2015, 08:57 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Lots of good questions and answers...One thing I picked up on is all frames are made by Lippert...NOT TRUE...my Newmar X-Aire is a full custom designed unit. And all running gear is not the same. We full time and we searched the market and shows just like everybody. The cookie cutter high production new units are nice, but all components are not the same.

Just compare the standard options and you will see...big difference between flashy colors and usable features.

We have a very heavy Newmar, which the don't make anymore but Manufacturer still there for any service...we never needed any and I live in it full time so everything in working condition.

That brings up a good question...if the rigs don't get used they deteriorate...just saying.

Ask any questions, I would be glad to help...

Ours is for sale...check our blog and signature. Good Luck!!!
Camper_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 10:10 PM   #20

Thor Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Coastal Campers
Arrow Used VS New

I just wanted to interject again and this is my only my humble opinion after talking to about 30 toyhauler owners a couple weeks ago at a bike rally in GA. Every single owner of every single make has had problems. I feel fortunate that most of mine have been minor nuisances compared to what some of these folks were saying. 2015 Road Warrior rear ramp door split in half, and three trips to dealer for gen issues. 2014 Raptor side wall split at corner of slide out opening, 2013 XLR electrical failure and minor fire. 2012 Cyclone entry doors delaminating, 60 days to get replacements.
And tire failures, don't even get me started. 6 of us blew tires on the way up there. I took some advice from here and went to truck tires, I hope whoever posted that tidbit doesn't turn out to be wrong or I will hunt you down. I think next time I look to purchase I will probably look towards a year or two old used unit and provide my own warranty through Good Sam's. Manufacturer warranty is basically one year. Good Sam's warranty you purchase the level of coverage you want. Mine cost 1000 bucks for 36 months and they never want to see me again until it expires. I am into them for about 6000 in repairs so it has been more than worth it.

In a nutshell it comes down to this. No matter what you buy or who built it, you are going to have problems with a house that you drag up and down the freeways, bouncing over railroad tracks and speed bumps. Prepare yourself with a good warranty plan, a comprehensive tool kit, and spare parts and pieces, to make repairs on the road. Subscribe to youtube and search how to videos, there are hundreds of them. from water pumps to tires, its there. Ask, everyone you know that has a camper. I can tell you that I think Voltage makes a solid toyhauler with luxury feel and lots of little issues, but that is just my opinion on my camper. Fortunately for me no real major issues have come up and Factory or Good Sam's warranty has covered everything. Remember that everything in your camper is not manufactured by the camper builder. Norcold, Lippert, Dometic, and a few others make every operational bit in your camper.
So my advice would be find what you like and can afford, new or used, buy an extended warranty and get out and start enjoying the camper lifestyle. Just be ready for issues and get them fixed through your warranty or on your own. Good luck and I hope you find this somewhat useful. Feel free to ask me anything.
Old 05-06-2015, 08:40 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Yes, they all can and do have issues...but original construction counts...that's like saying go buy a Chevette and expecting a Cadillac. just is not fair comparison.

I would use weight as a good factor in trailer construction...generally more weight more quality.

As to tires...and I don't want to object...but truck tires will perform better than the trailer tires any manufacturer uses, except G and H rated tires.

If a manufacturer installs these higher quality features as standard then those are who I would patronize...even if they are not made as new anymore. Lots of good product is still out there. Don't think that just because its new its better...wrong mindset...just saying.
Old 05-06-2015, 10:15 AM   #22

Jerry...I haven't been on this forum for a while now but if your still looking at toyhaulers...I would keep shopping and look at ALL manufacturers.

It really depends on how much you will be out in it...if you want to "part-time" or "full-time". From what I've learned on the forums here...many of the owner's really don't know that much about other toyhaulers...they only know about the RV they own. With that said many people who are buying toyhaulers only look at what they see on the "outside" and when you do that...you will probably like the Dutchmen Voltage, or the Heartland Cyclone and Road Warrior (Road Warrior is just a downgraded Cyclone). I look at toyhaulers for over 2 years...went to RV shows and many dealerships to look at the units in person. When I first started looking...I really liked the Voltage, and I kind of liked the Cyclone and then I started finding about the poor quality of each. I also have to family members that are managers at different RV dealerships, and although they both sell both of these units...they tell me they wouldn't buy them personally because of all the problems they have. Both of those units have over double the percentage of repairs of all the other toyhaulers that they service...and again this is coming from the dealer. I will not say what dealer they work for...for obvious reasons. I tried to talk myself into buying the Voltage 3970...but I just couldn't. When you start looking at the "base" construction of some units you will see the poor quality of workmanship. The Voltage and the Cyclone were the most popular...but only because consumers look at the "eye candy" and not what the candy is made of. I finally decided on the Evergreen Tesla 3950...a nice unit but not the "full-time" unit that I want. I'm talking to Evergreen about designing a new floor plan...but they are slow to do so....So I'm talking to Crossroads (Elevation)...Forest River (XLR Thunderbolt)...and a private RV company that builds the Weekend Warrior (they will build anything you want at close to the same cost of any of the above...and the quality is definitely there)..and finally if you want to spend more $$$$$$, there is the DRV Fullhouse...nice but overated in my opinion.
To answer your question...right now Heartland is having QC problems in all of their lines and Dutchmen has had many QC problems the last 2 years. They don't care about quality...they only care about production and they are both building crap right now. If you want to buy one of their units...just count on making many repairs and most will be at your expense not to mention the time you lose with your RV in the shop. Continue doing your homework and don't rely on so many on here...many of them (not all) know very little about the RV industry.
Good luck !
Old 05-20-2015, 06:23 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
How does one explain quality to the average crowd. Its a design and engineering question. Anybody versed in these aspects would see that all new brands would immediately see the low quality just by the weight. One thing is the rear door weight rating...check them out. I've used mine full time and its performing great, yes small concerns, but lack of used is a big flag...they will deteriorate if not used. Newmar built high quality rigs and still stands behind them. Check mine out.

Tags
upgrade