Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-20-2006, 06:11 PM   #1

I'm considering purchasing a WW LE3505 and I'd like to know if any of you have ever had one weighed empty. No gas, no water, lo LP. Of course I'd like to know what that is with the most standard options like a generator and one or two batteries, a pump station and smooth siding. I am planning on using my F250 as a tow vehicle which I know would likely be over the 'legal' GVWR by anywhere from 500 to 1000 pounds when loaded but I know it can hold the weight with the airbags. I just want some idea of how big of a step up this will be from my old rig which is a bit over 8000 pounds fully loaded.
Thanks.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2006, 06:11 PM   #2

I'm considering purchasing a WW LE3505 and I'd like to know if any of you have ever had one weighed empty. No gas, no water, lo LP. Of course I'd like to know what that is with the most standard options like a generator and one or two batteries, a pump station and smooth siding. I am planning on using my F250 as a tow vehicle which I know would likely be over the 'legal' GVWR by anywhere from 500 to 1000 pounds when loaded but I know it can hold the weight with the airbags. I just want some idea of how big of a step up this will be from my old rig which is a bit over 8000 pounds fully loaded.
Thanks.

Old 06-20-2006, 07:32 PM   #3

Max:

You've gone over the first hurdle in realizing you'll be overweight- I think many who make the plunge don't have a clue, and that's what gets them in trouble. Knowing that, and if you decide to plow away anyway, you'll be more cognizant of what you're doing- which is a good thing.

That said, you'd be hard-pressed to figure that you'd buy a LE3505 and never use what is the biggest features of a WW TH: fuel station (gas), water (the ability to haul 150 gals for those "no worry" showers), and extra "juice" for NOT having to run the genny all the time (batteries). The only thing I've been able to surmize is that the fiberglass (gelcoat) WILL save you alot in weight, but the heartache of cleaning and maintaining an aluminum siding will just transfer that grief when you have to wash the coach (one of the BIGGEST benefits I've learned with gelcoat is that you can use a squeegee to dry it).

Of course, I don't know what the weight numbers are- I think Lincster will be over shortly to help you with that- and he will know all the gnat's a$$ figures- I wouldn't want to even offer any. and I also know that ANY RV isn't getting any lighter- it's kinda like your computer- you'll need to upgrade to get even the most basic stuff to keep up with the working environment.

Even though I'm a little perturbed at WW and my GiantRV saleguy for some misleading information about weights and what you could LEGALLY do, I'd have to admit I wouldn't skimp a bit with what we got. I was planning ohauling our Jeep in our SLC, but just putting 16" wheels on it wasn't going to get me legal. We've resigned ourselves that we won't be able to do it (which is really the reason why we upgraded from our 1995 SLC3705), and in that, now we wish we wudda got the cargo slideout. Of course, 9 days after we bought the SLC, we went out and got a F350 DRW TowBoss to tow it (the "old" 2000 Banks'd F250 had the power- just not the longevity nor not even close on the legality issue).

Good luck with your planning...I'm sure there'll be more peeps to offer their opinions, which we hope are more based on fact, than fiction.

Sean
Old 06-20-2006, 08:41 PM   #4

Hey Max,
I own a 2006 LE3905, basically, I ordered a LE3505 and added 4' onto it.
I weighed my trailer on the way home from picking it up. I had 20 gallons of gas in the station, all tanks were totally empty, full propane and 1 12V battery.
I have Gel Coat, genny, recliners etc. All of the basic upgrades that most do.
So, onto the weights.
My pin weight is 2720lbs and my axle weight was 8880lbs, so 11,600lbs totally empty.
Since you are looking at a trailer 4' shorter, I am willing to be you can take off about 800lbs from the axle weights and 200lbs from the pin weight.
So, 2500lbs of pin weight and 8000lbs on the axles, 10,500lbs total.
It does depend on the options, another buddy got a LE3705, but actually weighed more than I did because he got the dual bunks in the back. That is a very heavy option.

So, good to see that you know you are going to be over weight on your truck.
If you have a CC 4X4, you are going to be wayyyyy over.
My 2002 F250 CC 4X4 PSD weighed 7300lbs with full fuel and no passengers.
With a 8800lbs GVWR, that only left me with 1500lbs for passengers and pin weight.
The GCWR is 20,000lbs, so you figure 20000-7300=12,700lbs for trailer and passengers.
Hope this helped.
Linc
Old 06-21-2006, 01:48 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Hey Linc, not to hijack the thread or anything but question, why do you think the SLC's are so much heavier than the LE? The bedroom slideout shouldn't add that much, could it be because they are taller now? Just looking at the weight people are reporting I'm trying to figure it out. You know, my SLC is about the same weight as your LE so what changed!
Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 09:09 PM   #6

Hey Tom,
Yep, I think the current models being taller added quite a bit more weight.
If we compare pin weights, you have 500lbs more in pin weight than I do with both of our trailers being empty.
You add in the extra height, which is a bigger slide and more gel coat all around etc. I can see where the pin weight of new SLC trailers is 1000 more than what I have.

Sean, didn't you weigh and have a pin weight of almost 4000lbs?

Linc
Old 06-21-2006, 09:28 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Well, that makes sense, Sean, what was your axle weight and pin weight? That should make it pretty clear if you are at least close to the empty weight. I'm really curious as to the weight difference.
Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 06:24 AM   #8

Linc & Tom:

I've got the rig out this weekend....Brian's got a 4-day swim meet in Irvine- got to take the rig out tonight to the park- I'll try to get it in Weighing Mode before I leave on sunday and post back pics of the tickets . But if I remember correctly, my pin weight back last October (going to Diirk's BBQ party) was 4180#- but that was empty. Total weight was somewhere around 23,000#.

Sean
Old 06-22-2006, 06:00 PM   #9

The brochure from WW shows the pin weight at 1775. I'm having a hard time understanding how that can get up to 2500 just on options. The generator, batteries and propane are up front but the tanks are near the axles. The main reason I want the LE and not the SLC is because the bedroom slide out does add lots of weight and my truck already weighs 7300 with me and a full tank. That leaves 1500 for the pin weight, wife and kid. So I expect to be near 1000 over, but I don't think of that as being to serious. Everyone knows the truck can handle it and if I leave a good cushion on the truck tire capacity, which I have, I personally feel comfortable. And of course the salesman says, "no problem, hey everybody does it, we put the big rigs on your truck all the time." What a joke!
Old 06-22-2006, 06:40 PM   #10

If you have done enough reading, advertised weights are way off.
Go with what people on here are telling you.
The weights we are giving are real life.
Old 06-23-2006, 01:05 PM   #11

I agree but I'm still holding out hope someone will post a weight here with the actual trailer I'm looking at without mods.
Old 06-27-2006, 09:10 PM   #12

This might help
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dealer let me weigh two trailers.

2006 LE3105:
Aluminum sides
Gen
Both fuel tanks
Bay windows with booth dinette
Stab jack
Spare tire
Rock guard
Empty propane
Empty tanks

-------------------------------
Total wt-- 9,820 lbs
Pin wt---- 2,480 lbs

Sticker wt- 8,285 lbs

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

2007 LE3305:
Fiberglass sides
Gen
Both fuel tanks
Bay windows with rockers
Stab jack
Spare tire
Rock guard
Full propane
Empty tanks

Total wt-- 10,940 lbs
Pin wt---- 2,540 lbs

Sticker wt- 10,200 lbs
Old 06-28-2006, 04:15 PM   #13

Thanks guys, I'm getting a clearer picture now of the true weight. Having pulled bumper trailers all the time before I've always been very aware of weight distribution to prevent sway. Hows that work with the 5vers? Seems like it wouldn't be as critical as long as you don't go stupid and stuff all the heavy stuff right next to the ramp door. But with the pin weights already so high, how much affect does it have when you load a couple of quads and gear towards the rear of the trailer?
Old 07-06-2006, 04:42 AM   #14

MaxAZ How are you? Pleased to meet you...well sort of, my wife said you PM'd me. Sorry I did not reply as I am in the middle of Iraq on deployment. Anyway I have the 3505 and love the thing. It works perfect for the family of 4 and a few friends. We started out like most with the truck first and then shopped for the trailer. Long story short we ended up bigger than we started out to get. Still no regrets because we simply love the thing. All that being said I don't care what people say or weather you can make all the legal weights with a SRW truck in my honest opinion that trailer should be towed with a DRW tow vehicle. I tow mine with my 2500 Duramax and it really does a great job but if hindsight was 20/20 I would have a DRW. Listen to lincster he really has the weight thing in perspective. Now as far as your last question. Mine tows better with all the weight I can get in the back. You have to remember these things were designed to have a buggy or a few quads in the rear and water up front. That proportions the weight over the axles and more to the rear some what taking pin weight off. If I fill the water tanks and have no cargo it tends to be real nose heavy. My best tow is when I have the quads in the rear and all the firewood and junk right at the rear door and the fuel tanks full and no water. I have firestone air bags and to me they are a must for SRW or DRW. I also have a Trailair pin box which has an airbag between the 5th wheel and the pin of the trailer. That takes the jolts out of some of the rough roads but also adds a couple hundred pounds of pin weight to the truck just because it is a heavy unit that replaces the original pin box on the trailer. I will never own a tongue trailer as I use to tow trailers for an RV dealer as a kid in WA State. I always loved when I got to tow a 5er because they handle so much smoother on the highway... and going down hill is where you notice how much better they track behind your vehicle where they should be if you know what I mean. I would recommend the 5er any day just make sure and give your self the piece of mind that you have a tow vehicle worthy of the tow!

Griz

06 LE 3505
Grizwald2 is offline   Reply With Quote