Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-28-2005, 08:41 PM   #1

I'm looking to replace the carpet in my 03 WW FS2600. The backing on the original carpet is starting to deteriorate, has anyone used some other style carpet with good results. I was thing of finding a heavy grade of rubber backed carpet and then having the edges bound. Rich

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2005, 08:41 PM   #2

I'm looking to replace the carpet in my 03 WW FS2600. The backing on the original carpet is starting to deteriorate, has anyone used some other style carpet with good results. I was thing of finding a heavy grade of rubber backed carpet and then having the edges bound. Rich

Old 04-28-2005, 09:34 PM   #3

Rich,

When I had both of my TH's, I went down to the local carpet store, found a nice remnant or the end of a roll that was large enough, and them fit it to the floor. After I cut all the needed holes for table poles and such, I had the edges bound. It worked perfect, looked custom, and since it was about 100% better carpet than what came with the trailer, felt better on the feet. My wife's mission in life is to try and kill every vacume cleaner known to man, so the carpet never had the chance to get dirty. I kept it rolled going to and home, unrolled it while we were there.

There is a slight cost to doing it this way if you buy nice carpet, and getting it bound costs a few dollars also. But to us it was worth every cent.

Good luck,

Clark

2005 F350 PSD CC DRW Tow Boss
C.CARNEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 07:59 AM   #4

Where did you get it bound? What type of business does that type of stuff? I'm sure it takes a special type of sewing machine.
Old 04-29-2005, 04:14 PM   #5

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">My wife's mission in life is to try and kill every vacume cleaner known to man, so the carpet never had the chance to get dirty. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Clark, must be a girl thing. King Salami lost the argument and I haul my Mighty Dyson out the desert whenever we go.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Where did you get it bound? What type of business does that type of stuff? I'm sure it takes a special type of sewing machine. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Naykid: Any large carpet place that sells off their remnants will be able to bind the edges for you for a small charge.
SandyFeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 05:09 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
I've been thinking about getting a new indoor/outdoor carpet for mine before the carpet in there deteriorates so I can use it for a pattern. You'd think WW could at least bind the edges for us with the original carpet.
Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 08:50 PM   #7

Bound edges are one of the nice little upgrades on the 06 WW's
high desert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 08:55 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
High desert

THANKS, I needed that!!
Old 04-29-2005, 08:57 PM   #9

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">High desert

THANKS, I needed that!!
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 04-29-2005, 09:02 PM   #10

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
ahh shoot,
i remember when Tom got his brand new SLC, or at least when he was all rantin' and ravin' about it,
shoot, the rest of us were pretty much sleeping underneath tarps tied to our trucks at the time when he got his 'Taj Mahal of Sand Springs'

its just like dancin' at the country joint he goes to every Saturday night,
sometimes you're in some stupid line-dance and a couple songs later you're slow dancin' with the waitress
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 09:13 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
O you dog, don't I wish!
Old 04-29-2005, 09:19 PM   #12

Naykid,

Our local carpet-tile store did the binding, don't remember the cost though. I don't think it was over $30.00.

Sandy, were now on a Dyson Monster something or the other. This thing has alot of power. If she kills this one, she's really good.

Have fun at Jawbone, I haven't been there in years. Passed it a couple weeks ago on the way to Mammoth, seems like there was a bunch of people there.

Tom, For what a WW costs, it's amazing that simple things like bounded carpets would be standard. When I brought my original WW, I worked hand in hand with Mark the owner on it. At that time (1993) they were small enough to still have personal attention to details. The little things were taken care of. When I got my trailer the carpet wasn't bound. I asked about it and they took care of it and Mark said that they would or should do it to all the trailers. But shortly after, they expanded and the little things got forgotten and like any other mass produced product, things got faster and the details went by the way side. Don't get me wrong, I think that WW still makes the best TH's, but I just would have liked to see them keep the little things in perspective for us, the customer.

Now I am on our 3rd trailer, we went up in quality, but like the others, the little things don't always get the attention they should. We are very pleased with our Alfa, it does come more equiped standard than most all other trailers for the price, but when I took it into the factory a couple weeks ago for minor adjustments and touch up, I asked them about adding a few items that I think will make the trailer better and their responce was "we don't do those at the factory, so we can't do it at all". I was even willing to pay whatever they wanted to do them, but sorry.

It's amazing to me that these companies won't do the little things that would give them so much better word of mouth when the owner is showing their trailer to a perspective buyer.

I'm off my soapbox now! Have a great weekend everybody! I'll be protecting the City of Redondo Beach.

Take care and be safe, Clark

2005 F350 PSD CC DRW Tow Boss
C.CARNEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 09:21 PM   #13

Yeah, I'm campin' in a tent with a flatbed for the toys until the new FSC gets here on 5/28.
Old 04-29-2005, 09:27 PM   #14

....I use walk off runners like at the entrance of a store... rubber backed- heavy duty -and wash if off with a hose -won't slip around.....about $1.00 a sq. foot. easy to move if you have to....geofkaye