Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-03-2013, 02:31 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abneynormal View Post
I opted for American made firestone 235/85 transforce ht. they are 10 ply and rated for over 100 mph. they are taller approx 3/4 inch. but they aren't trailer tires.
Of the most interest to you is the statements found in item 1. B. on page 29.

http://www.firestonecompleteautocare.com/catalog/full-warranty.pdf

Most light truck tire manufacturers consider replacing ST tires with LT tires - of any size and load capacity - as a misapplication. Did you ask your tire dealer about that?

FastEagle
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2013, 02:35 PM   #16

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastEagle View Post
Of the most interest to you is the statements found in item 1. B. on page 29.

http://www.firestonecompleteautocare.com/catalog/full-warranty.pdf

Most light truck tire manufacturers consider replacing ST tires with LT tires - of any size and load capacity - as a misapplication. Did you ask your tire dealer about that?

FastEagle
Thanks for pointing that out FE. The Goodyear 614's are the only truck tire that the manufacturer approves for trailer use. (They were also the only one with a load rating high enough for my trailer....)
taken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 02:55 PM   #17

I tried 5 brands of ST tires and they all failed. 6 years on Yokohama LT tires and not a single failure. Must be a higher profit margin/markup on ST tires for them to say that.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 03:14 PM   #18

I bought Hercules tires for my trailer the end of March. Second day RR flat due to rim leak. Third day sent one back due to 8 OZ of wheel weight on it. third week spare ,which hasn't been on the ground, has a visible crack all the way around like the tread separating. I'm done with trailer tires. E load rating TOO.
CJGJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:16 PM   #19

play nice. I am never planning on buying "trailer tires" period. they don't seem to be or have to be built to the same specs as tires made for passenger vehicles. I don't think the nhtsa even regulates trailer tires. its like mobile home tires. they are speced for mobile home use only. meaning they are a one time use tire. I am just glad the damage was underneath and not the outside sheet metal
Abneynormal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:23 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
you can put LT tires on a trailer. Just need to be an "all posit ion" tire. LT tires typically have a mileage/wear warranty. ST tires do not. Something to consider.

I too will NEVER purchase another ST tire. They are ALL garbage.
WeatherTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 01:09 AM   #21

I've never heard of LT tires failing at the rate ST tires do, which is why LT's are on my trailer.
azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 11:24 AM   #22

Not ALL tires made in China are crap. Some are for sure, but Good Year makes and General (Bridgestone) make some crap tires also. I'm a long time tire guy. Grew up in the business and sold and installed just about all of 'em at one time or another. Do your homework before plopping down BIG $ just because they say Michelin on the side. Bibendum makes good hoops for sure, but there a lots of good trailer service tires out there for a LOT less money...unless $ is no object. In that case any good 10ply LT (Light Truck) will for sure get you there, and back, and there again, and back, but again unless you're a full timer with loads of cash, that's a lot of money to spend to let the tires sit half the year....I'm just sayin. They're pretty harsh on the rig also, ride wise. You need to know the reasons most TS tires fail. First, when you buy a new rig, the OE tires may already be 2-3 years old from Date of mfg. Its stamped on the sidewall and will look like "0612", (Sixth week of 2012). Remember, on the dealer's lot( or in your yard)They sit for weeks or months on end parked in one spot, in the sun, with low air pressure, and/or in water/mud/wet grass. Overloading the rig and traveling with low air pressure, especially in hot weather is a killer. Russian roulette bro. BUT... if you buy decent TS tires, cover 'em, keep the pressure up year round, roll the rig a bit every 4-6 weeks, keep the tires out of constant moisture, and air 'em up to max rating (or close) before you go, you'd be surprised how well most of them do. TS tires are only good for about 4 years unless they are run all the time, then you might get 6 out of 'em if tere's any tread left that is. Side note tho, you might want to steer clear of Carlisles's. Seen enough of them fail to say nada. You take care of your tires, they will take cared of you.
RetiredFPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 02:20 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeatherTodd View Post
I too will NEVER purchase another ST tire. They are ALL garbage.
DITTO.

back when I had my Desert Fox, I ended up going with Michelin XPS Rib tires. His was about 2007 I think, which at the time was when everyone was recommending the XPS ribs as a good LT tire for heavy RVs.
billandcarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 08:06 PM   #24

I rolled precisely 1.2 miles with my brand new Toy Hauler and had the China bombs replaced with XPS RIbs...
Billua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 05:18 AM   #25

Forest River Owners Club
What kills me is this. Many posters, along with myself, replaced their tires right after buying their new RV. Now, people who bought off the lot had no choice. However, people who ordered their rigs like me could have ordered good tires right from the factory. Heartland and other manufacturers have Goodyear G614's in their factory and will install them as a "hidden option." It won't show up on any dealers order form, but if the dealer calls and asks you can get decent tires from the getgo. Makes a lot more sense than changing tires as soon as you get your trailer home. I can't understand why they have this as a hidden option rather than just letting all their customers know it's available. It would save the end user time and money if they indeed wanted better tires...
Old 08-24-2013, 05:41 PM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
I ordered my 2013 KZ Stoneridge Sportster (TH) with Goodyear tires (7 including the spare) because I didn't want the "China bombs". Guess what, the Goodyear Marathon tires I got are made in China! So far we have about 5,000 miles on them with no problems, but I watch the TPM like a hawk. FWIW, my previous TH had Goodyear G614's and one of them shucked a tread with about 10,000 miles on the trailer. Goodyear replaced the tire for only $19.
Old 08-24-2013, 06:03 PM   #27

Forest River Owners Club
Yeah, Marathon's are typical ST tires. 614's are the only Goodyear I'd put on my trailer.
Old 08-27-2013, 12:52 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by taken View Post
What kills me is this. Many posters, along with myself, replaced their tires right after buying their new RV. Now, people who bought off the lot had no choice. However, people who ordered their rigs like me could have ordered good tires right from the factory. Heartland and other manufacturers have Goodyear G614's in their factory and will install them as a "hidden option." It won't show up on any dealers order form, but if the dealer calls and asks you can get decent tires from the getgo. Makes a lot more sense than changing tires as soon as you get your trailer home. I can't understand why they have this as a hidden option rather than just letting all their customers know it's available. It would save the end user time and money if they indeed wanted better tires...
They probably put them on as a hidden option because they know that a lot of Rvers have had a lot of problems with that particular model tire.

Tags
tires