Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-27-2013, 08:20 PM   #1

rv tires aka china bombs

I had heard the discussions heres my story. we have a 2011 keystone raptor 3912lev with less than 6000 miles. within 500 miles we blew 3 of the 6 tires the caps came off, like a recap does on a big truck. I researched the subject and I decided to abandon trailer tires since the NHTSA wont do anything about them. in searching and talking with my tire dealer I decided on AMERICAN MADE 10 ply firestones, like they use on duallys. I wish no one the problems I have had with repairing the underbelly of the raptor. still given with most repairmens lack of workmanship. I opted to fix it myself.
so for discussions sake please check your tires if they are china bombs you would be wise to change them before they explode on you.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2013, 12:43 AM   #2

Yokohama LT tires and no more damage. Tried 5 brands of ST tires and they all failed.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:38 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Abneynormal, I'm sorry for your misfortune. I was lucky and had read enough reports about the China bombs, that my new rig never left my driveway with them except to drive to Discount Tire. I went with a commercial LT, Michellin XPS Ribs. They weigh 94 lbs compared to 58 lbs for the OEM ST's They have a full steel casing. I already have 6K mi on them. Rest assured, someone will come on this thread and tell you that you are not supposed to do this.
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 12:54 PM   #4

china bombs

I opted for American made firestone 235/85 transforce ht. they are 10 ply and rated for over 100 mph. they are taller approx 3/4 inch. but they aren't trailer tires.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:53 AM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
Yep, we swapped out for Goodyear G614's before our first trip. No Towmax for this guy...
Old 05-01-2013, 11:03 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
If you're planning on airing the G614s up to the 3750 lb load rating @ 110 PSIG, I hope you upgraded to wheels rated for that load and pressure if the existing wheels were used with load range E tires. As the Goodyear webpage for the G614 states, special wheels are required for this tire to handle the load and air pressure.

You might want to Google "Goodyear G614 failures". Many of us have had less than acceptable results from the Goodyear G614s. I had 2 tread separation failures within 3 months of each other on 3 year old tires. I and many others with this experience have upgraded to 17.5" wheels and 215/75R-17.5 load range H or J tires rated 4805 lbs @ 120 PSIG. These tires are ~1/2 smaller in diameter than the LT235/85R-16 G614s, so there are no clearance problems. I've run my 17.5" Michelin XTAs on the Interstates in the summer heat in Arizona and west Texas without any problems whatsoever.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:06 AM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
By "special wheels" you mean something different than the ones that come from the factory stamped 110 PSI? No need to upgrade anything there. I Googled plenty before buying and and am VERY impressed with most peoples results as well as my own 5k miles in the first year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
If you're planning on airing the G614s up to the 3750 lb load rating @ 110 PSIG, I hope you upgraded to wheels rated for that load and pressure if the existing wheels were used with load range E tires. As the Goodyear webpage for the G614 states, special wheels are required for this tire to handle the load and air pressure.

You might want to Google "Goodyear G614 failures". Many of us have had less than acceptable results from the Goodyear G614s. I had 2 tread separation failures within 3 months of each other on 3 year old tires. I and many others with this experience have upgraded to 17.5" wheels and 215/75R-17.5 load range H or J tires rated 4805 lbs @ 120 PSIG. These tires are ~1/2 shorter in diameter than the LT235/85R-16 G614s, so there are no clearance problems. I've run my 17.5" Michelin XTAs on the Interstates in the summer heat in Arizona and west Texas without any problems whatsoever.

Rusty
Old 05-01-2013, 11:14 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Nope, if the wheels are rated for a load range G tire, you're fine.

No need to be defensive, I was just sharing my experience as well as the experience of others. After all, the Mission Statement of iRV2 is:

Quote:
Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Please feel free to ignore it if you so choose, but it's still my experience with these tires.

Rusty
Old 05-01-2013, 11:21 AM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Nope, if the wheels are rated for a load range G tire, you're fine.

No need to be defensive, I was just sharing my experience as well as the experience of others. After all, the Mission Statement of iRV2 is:

Please feel free to ignore it if you so choose, but it's still my experience with these tires.

Rusty
I was defensive because you assumed (incorrectly) two pretty major things. One, that I didn't do my homework on how these tires worked for others and two, that my wheels were insufficiently rated. I'm sure you had bad experiences with them but most don't. Every product on the market has failures and people love to post them on the net. The majority who don't say nothing.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:29 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Look, I didn't assume anything about your wheels. I said they could be inadequate "...if the existing wheels were used with load range E tires." IF makes it a conditional statement. The wheels were rated for load range G tires, so the condition doesn't apply.

I have no way of knowing what (if any) research you did, so I assumed nothing in that regard. I merely shared my experience and pointed you to a resource where others document similar experiences. As I stated, if you choose to ignore those failures, that's your choice. I wish you the best of luck with the G614s - hope it's better than mine was!!

Rusty
Old 05-01-2013, 11:35 AM   #11

Forest River Owners Club
Actually you wrote, "If you're planning on airing the G614s up to the 3750 lb load rating @ 110 PSIG, I hope you upgraded to wheels rated for that load and pressure if the existing wheels were used with load range E tires. As the Goodyear webpage for the G614 states, special wheels are required for this tire to handle the load and air pressure." So, you see you used the word "IF" when referring to my airing up the tires to 110 not whether my wheels were rated correctly.

You also suggested that I should Google which clearly implies I hadn't already.

So, in the end two assumptions. Both wrong.

Quote:
Look, I didn't assume anything about your wheels. I said they could be inadequate "...if the existing wheels were used with load range E tires." IF makes it a conditional statement. The wheels were rated for load range G tires, so the condition doesn't apply.

I have no way of knowing what (if any) research you did, so I assumed nothing in that regard. I merely shared my experience and pointed you to a resource where others document similar experiences. As I stated, if you choose to ignore those failures, that's your choice. I wish you the best of luck with the G614s - hope it's better than mine was!!

Rusty
Old 05-01-2013, 11:36 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Seems like you just want to argue today. Go find someone else to do it with.

Rusty
Old 05-01-2013, 11:38 AM   #13

Forest River Owners Club
That's exactly what I was thinking about you! LOL. Sorry if I confused you with facts. And by the way, I was just sharing my experience with these tires when you started in on me. Isn't that part of the mission statement you quoted to me?

Quote:
Seems like you just want to argue today. Go find someone else to do it with.

Rusty
Old 05-01-2013, 01:17 PM   #14

Fight nice boys.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires