Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-18-2005, 08:02 AM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon (The right side of the Cascades and home of Crater Lake)
Since satellite radio is now at a reasonable price I'm thinking if popping the nickel to get one. The puzzle is which system. XM or Sirus. So I thought I would ask the masters of sound here. Which should it be?? Dave.

Hoverbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2005, 08:02 AM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon (The right side of the Cascades and home of Crater Lake)
Since satellite radio is now at a reasonable price I'm thinking if popping the nickel to get one. The puzzle is which system. XM or Sirus. So I thought I would ask the masters of sound here. Which should it be?? Dave.

Old 10-18-2005, 08:14 AM   #3

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
Hover
i was the last person in SoCal who should have responded to this question, .... that is until I got an XM for Christmas last year.
you see ... i have always thought that between talk radio on AM radio and my extensive collection of gratefulDead CD's, that i would never need to listen to anything else ... that all else was a waste of money.

Well Cordie gave me an XM radio for Christmas, and as to not embarrass her by not installing it, i put it in my truck.
I now cannot live without it.
I will not sleep in my truck while its parked on my driveway at home, but ... well, ... i do listen to XM quite a lot while driving around.

It is worth it!!!

And i know we had a thread here a while back on the stations that everyone listens to a lot on satellite radio, ... but i have added a new one to my absolute must listen to ... and that is 'Bluesville' and i think that is number 74 on XM.
Brother, they have the Blues on that station that just don't quit.
in fact i think that today i might go get a Buddie Guy cd.

Ohh, and i still listen nonstop to the dead. At home i usually keep a dead DVD in my bigscreen at night just so as i walk around the house doing stuff i can watch jerry out of the corner of my eye.
good times

in retrospect, ... i don't believe i addressed your question of 'Sirus VS. XM'
... i have never listened to Sirus, but they both are probably SUPER, ... but ..
whichever one DOESN'T have Howard Stern would get my vote,
NO, ...whichever one HAS Nascar gets my vote,
weell, anyone that has a Grateful channell i would buy immediatly
.. i really think they both are probably good
Do get one that you can bring into the house though, 'cause you will get hooked.
Mike
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 08:35 AM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hey Mike! Nice to see you back here. We missed you. I'll have to agree with you on Stern; I don't know how anyone can stomach him. But then New York Americans are strange in their entertainment venues.(Having been born in NY I can say that). Anyway, Wal-Mart has the radios on sale in prep of Christmas and I thought it is the right time to buy. The units and fees are the same for XM & Sirus. It seem like most here prefer XM. Any reason?... BTY Mike thanks for the PM.
Old 10-18-2005, 09:02 AM   #5

Mikey!!! YOU'RE ALIVE!! Gawd...great to see ya back, hombre!!

Dave: I'm a big XM fan- after we got the first one for Moski (next to her TIVO, it's her favorite thing, and I got away with getting it for her @ Christmas time even though they both 'plug into the wall'!), I had to have one also. I have compared it to the DirecTV music channels, and I like their selections ALOT better. But I have to admit, I've never heard Sirius' channels.

That said, and I agree with the Stern and Nascar comments, XM is losing the contract with Nascar in 2007 and Sirius is getting it. Might have to change then!

Mike: as far as Blues go, have you heard of Michael Burks? He was the header band at the Blues & Brews event we went to Laughlin a few weeks ago to see...what a great guitarist!!

And then again Dave, you might of just started another "who likes Chocolate and who likes vanilla" thread!!

You should be able to pick up a RoadyII pretty darn cheap these days...they're made by Delphi, and guess which Federal Court they've been in lately?
Old 10-18-2005, 09:04 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
HB

I have found during my short use of both that XM has more of a show type format on most all of the different channels where Sirus is more of a canned format, repeating over and over. I believe you get more varied stuff played on XM.

This is based on my having Sirus on my dish network at home and using XM in the rental cars so you might say its kind of a first impression. Of course, XM is the only one that has Nascar, at least as far as I know. Its not on my Sirus at home!
Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 09:36 AM   #7

We have Sirius and are very happy with it. I don't care about Stern, having never been a fan. But there are some great stations. My BIL has XM and likes it but isn't very happy with it. He would have switched to Sirius but XM is integrated into his NAV system.

2007 Rally site
diirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 10:46 AM   #8

I purchased an XM radio for my Honda Goldwing before taking off on our tour of a lifetime as I call it, hit 20 states and covered 8,902 miles and enjoyed the XM very much. After buying my new tow vehicle to pull the toy hauler it had XM built in the factory radio with a 90 day subscription to XM. I did not plan to renew it after that but when the time came I could not let it lapse and re upped for two more years. Just can't seem to do without it anymore. We soon will get one to put in the toy hauler but will get one that can be moved from it to my wife's car. I have no experence with Sirius but really like XM.

Don

2005 Chevy 3500 (DRW) Duramax with Allison 1000
Goldenwingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 05:06 PM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks folks for all your feedback. I just bought an XM Roady 2 and the home kit on Wal-Marts web site (local store was out). The price has been cut in half to under $30. I think I'll get another for the burb. I've been listening to XM online and like it. Happy Trails!!
Old 11-08-2005, 01:33 PM   #10

Probably a little late to reply since you already got your XM, but here goes. My hubby drives a gasoline tanker in L.A. He talked me into buying a Roady XM thingie a couple of years back. It's a "portable" type and he puts it into the truck during the day and moves it to his car for the commute. He LOVES it!

We took a trip up through Nevada on our way to visit a friend it Idaho. There is NOTHING on that road - NOTHING! But, we were able to listen to XM the whole way. No reception for the T-Mobile phones we had at the time, but XM was great!

He bought a boom box/CD player that he can put his Roady into and we use that when we are camping. The comedy channels are a riot around the campfire when everyone has had dinner and is on their second (or third!) drink!

My husband LOVES his XM.

Sue
Old 11-08-2005, 04:04 PM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks Sue. I played with the Roady2 yesterday and today. The thing is addictive! I tried it in the Caravan and Burb and with the antenna simply on the dash, the signal is a full 3 bars and using the cassett adaptor the sound is great in both cars. In the house I also get a full signal with the antenna just sitting on the tv cabinet. I hooked it to my amp and stereo but gat a better sound plugged into an old set of Altec computer speakers. And you're right the comedy station is a hoot. It has also been fun listening to 164 Old Time Radio. I am sure Sirius is also good, but at $28 for the Roady I could'nt pass it up. The home kit also has a big discount. Happy Trails!!
Old 11-15-2005, 07:02 PM   #12

Just bought a SkyFi2 kit at Good Guys. They are going out of business and had them discounted to $50. There is also a $50 rebate online.... so basically it is free. I also got two car kits at $28 each, big discount from the $69.99 regular price.

2006 WW LE3305 Billet
sandjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 06:57 AM   #13

Just read this thread and now must go to Wal Mart and by the roady 2. Already have XM in the TV and love it, second subscription is only $6.00 a month and will be able to use it in wife's car and house. Can't beat$28.00
Old 11-16-2005, 06:17 PM   #14

Naykid....welcome!!

Good choice...we have two of them, and use them both religiously (as in 'alot').

Have fun here, ya hear?!

Sean