Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-18-2006, 08:07 PM   #1

Has this ever happened to you? You go to the pump station on the way home from a trip and when you remove the cap from the end of the pipe, water that has been sitting in the end of the pipe between the silde valve and the end cap comes spilling out onto the floor? I have had two travel trailers and the one thing they both had in common was this.

For years this has boggled my mind. On my old trailer, I replaced both slide valves and still the problem continued. It never happens when the trailer is sitting at the side of my house with waist in the tanks, only when I am on the road with it. I thought one of the valves were bad and with it bouncing down the road it slowly bagan to leak, but then I replaced them both and I still had the problem, and now I am having the same problem with this trailer.

Then this thought occured to me. Traveling with the trailer to where ever you go, you change elevations a lot. So I thought the change in elevation might cause increased pressure in the tube between the slide vavle and the end cap when you go up hill, then regulate it's self at the higher elevation, causing what ever is in the tube to be pulled back into the holding tanks. No problem there, however, when you go back down the hill close to sea level again, the opposite effect occurs causing now a vacuum in the tube and sucking anything next to the slide valve or end cap into the tube. Since the end cap must have had a better seal, the slide valve give out ever so slightly, but just enough to deposit some waist into the tube, where it sits waiting for me to open the end cap and release it onto the concrete in front of the pump station.

I first thought about drilling a hole in the top of the tube so it would self regulate through elevations, but if my theory was wrong and I did have bad slide valves, I didn't want waist water coming through the whole.

So this was my solution.

Side shot

I put an another slide valve on the end on the pipe, then drilled a 1/8inch hole in the top of the pipe between this valve and the end cap. I figgered a smaller area would regulate quicker, and I had my bases covered with two valves in front of the drilled hole.

I dont know, it seems like a drawn out explaination and solution for this problem, but I guess if you ever dumped crap on your shoes in front of 15 laughing strangers, it would make perfect sense. I hope it works.

Rod

WW LE3505
melon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2006, 08:07 PM   #2

Has this ever happened to you? You go to the pump station on the way home from a trip and when you remove the cap from the end of the pipe, water that has been sitting in the end of the pipe between the silde valve and the end cap comes spilling out onto the floor? I have had two travel trailers and the one thing they both had in common was this.

For years this has boggled my mind. On my old trailer, I replaced both slide valves and still the problem continued. It never happens when the trailer is sitting at the side of my house with waist in the tanks, only when I am on the road with it. I thought one of the valves were bad and with it bouncing down the road it slowly bagan to leak, but then I replaced them both and I still had the problem, and now I am having the same problem with this trailer.

Then this thought occured to me. Traveling with the trailer to where ever you go, you change elevations a lot. So I thought the change in elevation might cause increased pressure in the tube between the slide vavle and the end cap when you go up hill, then regulate it's self at the higher elevation, causing what ever is in the tube to be pulled back into the holding tanks. No problem there, however, when you go back down the hill close to sea level again, the opposite effect occurs causing now a vacuum in the tube and sucking anything next to the slide valve or end cap into the tube. Since the end cap must have had a better seal, the slide valve give out ever so slightly, but just enough to deposit some waist into the tube, where it sits waiting for me to open the end cap and release it onto the concrete in front of the pump station.

I first thought about drilling a hole in the top of the tube so it would self regulate through elevations, but if my theory was wrong and I did have bad slide valves, I didn't want waist water coming through the whole.

So this was my solution.

Side shot

I put an another slide valve on the end on the pipe, then drilled a 1/8inch hole in the top of the pipe between this valve and the end cap. I figgered a smaller area would regulate quicker, and I had my bases covered with two valves in front of the drilled hole.

I dont know, it seems like a drawn out explaination and solution for this problem, but I guess if you ever dumped crap on your shoes in front of 15 laughing strangers, it would make perfect sense. I hope it works.

Rod

WW LE3505
Old 05-18-2006, 08:17 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Could be a good idea Rod. I usually look forward to getting something out of the cap when I remove it so I stand back and be ready. Everything I have owned has done this, MH, WW, and the Terry. I think its just part of the way these valves work, you are gonna get some seepage from time to time. Your idea of another valve is just another way of putting another block in the way, I'm sure it will help, SOME.
Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 06:22 PM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon (The right side of the Cascades and home of Crater Lake)
I think Tom is right. It's just part of the game we play with these things. My solution is to use a sewer pipe cap with a hose fitting. Put a water shutoff on the fitting and before removing the cap open the valve to drain into a bucket.
Hoverbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 12:50 PM   #5

If it were a pressure change issue, why would it choose to only cause issues with your drain and not something else. Plus, I've seen this on several rigs that never see any elevatiuon changes. It's just life of an rv. get used to it. For a minute Ithought you were going to say you drill a hole in the pipe, not the lid. Wouldn't that be a hoot to see.

None of that would have helped my last dump attempt. I say attempt because I had to abort the process. A CW near us advertises free dump station. So we stopped to see. Thier hase was permantly attatched so we ised it. It came apart, mid dump. Needless to say, my favorite old tinny's didn't make the journey home.
Old 05-27-2006, 03:58 AM   #6

I have a 6"clear extension on the end with a cap with the garden hose adapter.that way I can see what's there .I hate surprises.I can also see when the tanks are empty.I have a gallon milk jug cut to catch any small amount that may be in the line.
BOB
Old 06-01-2006, 07:40 AM   #7

I took one of those clear fittings and put it on the end of my sewer hose for the same reason of seeing when it was empty. It also helps when you use the sewer jet and clean out the tanks. I always tell my wife to let me know if she might see anything she recognizes passing through the tube.
I guess we all have dumping stories. My favorite was in Colorado City at the Texaco on the way home from Coral Pink Sand Dunes. My hose was just a little too short to reach the dump opening, so I inlisted the help of a friend to make sure the hose didn't come out of the hole in the ground. When I told him what he was holding, he screamed like a little girl and took his foot off the hose and brown trout ran through the parking lot.

Rod

WW LE3505
Old 06-01-2006, 06:32 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Hey Rod, my only suggestion is: Don't use him again!
Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 08:28 AM   #9

Ha Ha!! Not kidding.
I think that was his second time camping, what do you expect.

Rod

WW LE3505
Old 06-02-2006, 10:09 AM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by melon:
I took one of those clear fittings and put it on the end of my sewer hose for the same reason of seeing when it was empty. It also helps when you use the sewer jet and clean out the tanks. I always tell my wife to let me know if she might see anything she recognizes passing through the tube.
I guess we all have dumping stories. My favorite was in Colorado City at the Texaco on the way home from Coral Pink Sand Dunes. My hose was just a little too short to reach the dump opening, so I inlisted the help of a friend to make sure the hose didn't come out of the hole in the ground. When I told him what he was holding, he screamed like a little girl and took his foot off the hose and brown trout ran through the parking lot.

Rod </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
mine was the sewer hose doing it best impersonation of a rain bird sprinkler when it decided to spring a some leaks under full run of brown water run away
powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 03:00 PM   #11

I'm going to need to add that valve on the end...yesterday, my DW left our new Golden Retriever puppy to the run of the entire backyard, and in addition to the numerous plastic water bottles that are now in a million pieces (and I can hardly wait to step on one of them I missed), he happened to pull the gray water handle (thank gawd for small favors) out a little bit so now I'm gonna get that surprise when I open that end cap. Another "thank gawd" is that I had filled the tank with a bleach solution to clean it, so the "surprise" shouldn't be that bad (hopefully).

I have yet to climb under he coach to see what other damage he invoked- he had almost two hours to reek havoc at the WWFan house...

Sean